U.S Open:Hows The Entries Going?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Not going to say much other than what I intend to do in Knoxville....

I will be attempting a US Open 9ball Qualifier series....

Locals will fade $25 entry and only the entries will go in the Kitty... I will run the series each weekend until the kitty hits 2k... At which point we will take the top 8 in points from the series and run the qualifier.... No entry required for it... Winner gets to go to the Open free and clear..... I will send in the $1000 to secure a spot and hand them $300 travel.... I will book their room wherever they wish and the balance they can get when they get to the event...

Just an idea I am going to work on... Every room has to deal with local issues so if all you can generate are "entries only" it may take longer....

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is awesome
Now let us party

Conan-and-Andrew-WK.gif

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Who is coming from Philippines? Johnnyt

Not sure if those who are in the US right now will be staying until October (Orcollo, Gomez, Ignacio, Faraon, Medenilla). Corteza, Bustamante and Biado (who just won the Japan Open) will probably participate. As for other players it will still depend. $1000 entrance fee is a huge amount, not to mention $120 for visa application that is not easy to process and does not ensure 100% approval. Last year, Jeff de Luna got denied of a visa. I think Johann Chua got denied too, but I know he's applying for a visa next month. We'll see.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have bet against all of the 75k would be there, but congrats to Pat for taking it this far. This Open is nowhere out of the woods yet, by far. Only 27 names on the players list, and of them 15 are freebies to past Open champs.

Well you wouldn't really expect anyone knowing the history to pony up until they saw the cash was going to be there. They will start getting entries now imo but I'm stilll betting against 128 at that fee.

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Def glad to hear! Congrats on a job well done so far Pat, Jay, Roberta ( if she's helping out this year ) and all others that are trying to make this happen. Im betting there a few very sad folks with this news, but GO OPEN!!!!😀

Thank you, yes I am helping this year. I'm very excited for the 40th!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just cannot see 128. $1k plus hotel and travel gonna be tough.

I've had some many emails, messages, & calla from foreign players about wanting to play. I won't be at all surprised to see the field full & I haven't forgotten or bet . Are you coming this year?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does the $75k "Added" remain there EVEN if far less than 128 Entrants are obtained ?

Short answer - YES! Last year we had 126 entries at $750 each. I'm expecting somewhere North of 100 entries and wouldn't be surprised to see it fill. Thanks to Pat for getting involved and to Barry for trusting someone else to handle the money. I think the Open will turn the corner this year and return to prominence.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not going to say much other than what I intend to do in Knoxville....

I will be attempting a US Open 9ball Qualifier series....

Locals will fade $25 entry and only the entries will go in the Kitty... I will run the series each weekend until the kitty hits 2k... At which point we will take the top 8 in points from the series and run the qualifier.... No entry required for it... Winner gets to go to the Open free and clear..... I will send in the $1000 to secure a spot and hand them $300 travel.... I will book their room wherever they wish and the balance they can get when they get to the event...

Just an idea I am going to work on... Every room has to deal with local issues so if all you can generate are "entries only" it may take longer....

Good idea. I've always wondered why you don't see this type of thing in more cities. Just like feeder tournaments into the WSOP.

I guess that with pool, people would rather play for a $2k cash prize than a trip to the US Open.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good idea. I've always wondered why you don't see this type of thing in more cities. Just like feeder tournaments into the WSOP.

I guess that with pool, people would rather play for a $2k cash prize than a trip to the US Open.

I like this idea also but the difference when playing in the WSOP ME I have a chance if I get lucky but in pool I would have no chance against any pro no matter how lucky I got.

I am glad to see the reaching of this milestone. I lived in Virginia Beach for a while when I was in the service and might be enticed to come down from NE to watch this event. I hope to see this event prosper.

Al

Last edited:

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm kicking around the idea of playing in the US OPEN. Do I need to be registered as a pro or can anyone enter the tournament?

Thanks

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I've had some many emails, messages, & calla from foreign players about wanting to play. I won't be at all surprised to see the field full & I haven't forgotten or bet . Are you coming this year?

I will not be attending but yes I remember our bet. :)

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Look out for this crew! Shane is NOT the favorite over these guys!

Rack your own winner breaks 9-ball? Don't lose the lag to Jun Ling Chang, last shot you might get...

The only problem with this event is the above, there are a large number of elite players that are coin flips on this equipment under this tournament structure, the best player will probably not win, simply the one who managed to get that first shot or fade the bad roll at the wrong time.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
^US Open 9-ball with neutral racker and alternating break format - how does that sound? :D

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I agree, winner breaks is the way to go.
When I watch the US Open, I want to see those huge packages.. the bigger, the better.