Ugly women and cheap pool cues......

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here ya go -- old and ugly. My ex-brother-in-law (nuff hypens) gave this to me 20 years ago. It has a 10 mm shaft and I have no idea who made it except that it came from Hamilton, Ohtario.

Funny thing about this ole girl is I just love her. She plays well and I have never changed the tip. She needs refinishing but I just can't bring myself to touch anything about her unique style. Yeah she is ugly but one of my favorites. My guess is someone paid about $75.00 back when that was a good bit for a snooker cue

SnookerCue.jpg

Made by Dufferin of Canada...they made the best house cues and
two piece cues under a $100 in the world for 25 years.
Many one-man shops bought their cues for stock.
Dufferin owned a maple forest and bought exotic woods by the ship load.

They also made the first two-piece cue to win the world professional
snooker championship....John Spencer in 1977.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. It is good to learn a little about her history. Like I said, she plays wonderfully. Better than many of the women I have known.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here ya go -- old and ugly. .....
Funny thing about this ole girl is I just love her. She plays well and I have never changed the tip. She needs refinishing but I just can't bring myself to touch anything about her unique style. Yeah she is ugly but one of my favorites.

Perfect. And I agree with the above, it is a Dufferin. Often looked down on but actually should be a good shooter.

And I got news for you....she may be "cheap" but I don't think she's ugly. :)

Bumpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a two-piece Dufferin cue with case for $20. Refinished and retipped the cue with an Elk Master tip, and it works great for me and my newby game. I like the old wood cues. Playing with a good one is kinda like putting on an old pair of comfortable boots. They just feel right.

CUE-DUFFERIN-12-11.jpg

Rick
---------------

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing with a good one is kinda like putting on an old pair of comfortable boots. They just feel right.

Oh yeah!

That's a statement of truth if I ever heard one! :thumbup:

I am loving this thread. :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Luther Lassiter had a pretty weird looking cue for a while.
It had a red ferrule and a bell installed under the tip.
Some people were so fascinated with the sound every time he hit
a ball that they didn't notice they hadn't won a game for a while.

Luther was scared to death of women...no matter what they looked like.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only ugly people I've ever met were ugly on the inside.

Same thing with cues. For me, it's all about the hit. I could care less if you thought my cue was ugly. Sometimes I've even 'cared less' all the way to the finals.

If something embarasses you, like a woman or your cue, then you should either grow up or give it up. JMHO

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only ugly people I've ever met were ugly on the inside.

Same thing with cues. For me, it's all about the hit. I could care less if you thought my cue was ugly. Sometimes I've even 'cared less' all the way to the finals.

If something embarasses you, like a woman or your cue, then you should either grow up or give it up. JMHO

I get what yer sayin'....and I agree.

But remember, this isn't about ugly cues....it's about cheap cues.

It is usually, of course, ultimately about how they play. And since you took us back there........Do you have, or have you had a cheap cue that you like or liked? :)

Sometimes that will be more emotional and less about the hit. Maybe it was the first cue, or one that was a special gift. There could be almost any reason. But generally, even though it is so common IMHO, those cues don't get talked about much. I want to hear it. We have had some wonderful stories here about such things, some funny, and some inspiring. :thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
In the late 70's I heard about a room that had a little action.
I walked in with a cheap plaid pool case and a woman friend.
I announced to the room that I'd been bragging about my snooker
game and my woman said " Yeah, well prove it to me."
"So I'm here to gamble."
The cue was an old Dufferin that I used rough sand paper on the butt
to give me a grip. (the finish was too slippery)

Well, I won a few hundred...and the guys were good sports about it.

...but some of the wives got real ugly...:yikes::yikes::yikes:

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgot about this one. I think it was 4.99 at a goodwill about a year or so ago. It was half off that day. I am pretty sure it's the cheapest cue I've ever bought.

d281ca30.jpg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get what yer sayin'....and I agree.

But remember, this isn't about ugly cues....it's about cheap cues.

It is usually, of course, ultimately about how they play. And since you took us back there........Do you have, or have you had a cheap cue that you like or liked? :)

Sometimes that will be more emotional and less about the hit. Maybe it was the first cue, or one that was a special gift. There could be almost any reason. But generally, even though it is so common IMHO, those cues don't get talked about much. I want to hear it. We have had some wonderful stories here about such things, some funny, and some inspiring. :thumbup:

Sure, I've had an inexpensive cue that I liked, but unfortunately, I won't contribute that info in a thread with a title that's insulting to women. Sorry but that's the way I feel.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Forgot about this one. I think it was 4.99 at a goodwill about a year or so ago. It was half off that day. I am pretty sure it's the cheapest cue I've ever bought.

d281ca30.jpg

I'm told that cue is a Double Anniversary model or something like that.
Actually a very nice cue.
I bought one for a conversion, but decided to keep it original I liked it so much.
$100 with 2-shafts

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is. The single butterfly is the silver anniversary. This one has pretty nice cocobolo. Eventually it will get a refinish, big pin with a custom shaft. It does play great. I was happy for $2.49. :)

I'm told that cue is a Double Anniversary model or something like that.
Actually a very nice cue.
I bought one for a conversion, but decided to keep it original I liked it so much.
$100 with 2-shafts

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a two-piece Dufferin cue with case for $20. Refinished and retipped the cue with an Elk Master tip, and it works great for me and my newby game. I like the old wood cues. Playing with a good one is kinda like putting on an old pair of comfortable boots. They just feel right.

CUE-DUFFERIN-12-11.jpg

Rick
---------------

That Duff is the same as the first cue i ever bought!!!

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It is. The single butterfly is the silver anniversary. This one has pretty nice cocobolo. Eventually it will get a refinish, big pin with a custom shaft. It does play great. I was happy for $2.49. :)

You must of got the senior discount.
I paid retail on Ebay...:)

BILLtheDJguy

A/K/A "CueBall" BILL
Silver Member
RE-POST per request from the good Dr...

Competition was (is?) a brand, not a manufacturer. I used them as an example. Many brands have shared the same origins like Cobra, Mizerak, Victory, Competition, Sierra, and a bunch of others.

How they play is a bit hit and miss and many people have been surprised by some of them.

As an example of what I mean check this out:

http://www.insidepool.com/order/images/SINAVA.jpg

That is a Sierra, they are currently for sale for MSRP-$425.00, sale price-$340.00, extra shafts are $140.00

And here is mine, check the one on the left branded as a Cobra:

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

I posted about this in the gallery with more picture evidence of other brands such as Viscotti, Quest, and Lucasi. Look at what people pay for a Lucasi versus a Quest. :wink:

Scroll down to see my posts on the matter:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=255691&highlight=cobra

I had that identical stick, (second from the right) that I picked up from a pawn shop back in the 80's for $23....

That was the best hitting stick I owned until I bought my first Meucci in '92.

I won alooooooot of money with that old 'Miz.....Man I miss that stick....

Thanks Doc. :thumbup: Brings back a lot of fine memories!!!:thumbup:

p.s. No comment on the Women...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! I didn't think you would actually come over and re-post it but I really appreciate it. I think we are building a nice set of anecdotes in this thread. :thumbup:

...and we'll accept your silence on the women.... :wink:

Grapenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread !

The follow up question might be, "Has any one of us been beaten by an ugly woman shooting with a cheap cue ? "

Ugh....... no comment. haha

Nut