what cue makers or brands have you owned?

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues, cues, cues...

The very first cue I ever owned was the 'SFS' (State Fair Special) looked like a classic rosewood 4 pt with no veneers. I was really young, but had no table, so I just stroked the cue and practiced making my bridge like I had seen on TV. The wrap came undone after doing that all the time and my world was crushed. I think I was 12 or 13.

Later, I acquired a McDermott D-13. I loved it. It was my main player for years. I later beat someone out of a D-19 model and carried those two things around like I was 'the man'. At 19 yrs old you'll believe anything though, right?

I went from this cue and that, making my way through all of the production cues and I must say that the 'Mezz' comes out on top IMO.

Schon is good too, but just different, and more old school. Mezz has a crisper hit. :shocked:

Joss cues as well as Lucasi come in right under those for production cues, and I think all the others are basically the same except for Meucci. Players, Fury, Adams, and all the other cheapies you see on Ebay.

Verl Horn had many pupils and especially in Oklahoma. Among those were Mike Betts and Eddie Farris. Mike's cues were known as 'Silky' because of his stroke. He was a real legend of a pool player here in Tulsa and made a good cue too. He was more of a player, not a cue maker.

Eddie Farris is more of pool player gone cue maker. He is definitely the man who makes the magic wands in these parts. He is like the JW of OK but without all the extra cnc crap. There is just no mistaking the hit of an Eddie Farris cue. Once you go Farris, you'll never go back. There is just a special, secret to Eddie's hit in his cues that only he knows and can reproduce! He and Joel Weinstock (DPK's pupil) are kinda buds and Eddie got some of his stuff, to make more stuff with.

JW Petree is another worth mentioning. Pete's cue is a cue you would wanna use to string 9 ball racks in dead gear. This guy is not flashy either, but makes an incredibly perfect cue. I mean P-E-R-F-E-C-T. Every last detail is done to the 'T'.

Jim Auerbach has a shop here in Tulsa as well, and he is survived by his partner John Parker who makes a cue here and a cue there. He's got a nice supply of just about what ever you want to order ready to go with the machines and the knowledge to do it with. Those cues have a real special hit that seems to 'puncture the cue ball' with every blow.

Shurtz by Bob Owen (Gabe Owen's dad) is a stick with playability worth mentioning. If any of ya'll haven't hit a Shurtz, you're definitely missing something. You need to at least try it. There's nothing else like it.

I've hit them Scruggs, Libra, JW, Mottey, and blah and blah and blah. Someday, when I am a billionaire, I would love to own me some of those, too. When it comes to playability, I'll stick with my hometown cue makers. They are up there with the best of em. :yes:

JesPiddlin

Designed by Mother Nature
Silver Member
deadgearplyr said:
I've hit them Scruggs, Libra, JW, Mottey, and blah and blah and blah. Someday, when I am a billionaire, I would love to own me some of those, too. When it comes to playability, I'll stick with my hometown cue makers. They are up there with the best of em. :yes:

Crown Cues is in Broken Arrow, which is a suburb of Tulsa. Since you were mentioning area cuemakers, I thought I'd add that one for ya. Not a lot of them in the Oklahoma area. But, Gene wasn't able to get out to sell his cues for the first few years, so he wound up starting his sales mostly online, (other than a few locals who bought some of his very first cues). :smile:

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
JesPiddlin said:
Crown Cues is in Broken Arrow, which is a suburb of Tulsa. Since you were mentioning area cuemakers, I thought I'd add that one for ya. Not a lot of them in the Oklahoma area. But, Gene wasn't able to get out to sell his cues for the first few years, so he wound up starting his sales mostly online, (other than a few locals who bought some of his very first cues). :smile:

And don't forget that they hit good too-:smile:
I've never seen anything but good wood selection on his cues, and I generally like the consistency of how they play. There's a guy in Sacramento that I know that has runs over 105 in straightpool playing with his.... he might have more expensive cues but for the money he pulls out one of Gene's cues...:dance:

Integrale

will work for cues.....
Silver Member
Chronological:
Bunch of cheapo production cues, i can`t remember names.
McDermott
Meucci original
Bludworth 2x
Gulyassy B/J
Bluegrass
Darrin Hill
Sugartree

Highlanduh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Current:
1 Richard Black
3 Fishers
3 Omens
3 Darrin Hills
1 Cory Barnhart
1 Cuetec

Gone:
2 Jeff Olneys
1 Fisher
2 Blackcreeks
1 Coker
1 Jim Lee
1 Richard Neighbors
1 MasonH
1 Mike Webb
1 Ned Morris
1 Ed Young
1 Bryan Mordt
1 Star City/Al Link

Last edited:

deanosdino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you guys could start a museum of pool cues. I'd like to see that.
Here's my scrubby list!
1. Jimmy Ingram (4)
2. John Guffey (fav hit)
3. Kent Taylor (blue book cue)
4. Jackson
5. Michael Durbin (2)
6. Chris cue, (Chris Whitaker)
7. Shurtz (sold way to cheap)
8. Bloodworth (sneaky pete, good hitter)
9. Schon (6-pointer)
10. Huebler (3)
11. McDermott (seaky pete, M44A, M44B, M29A, C-5, D-11,D-12,D-17,D-25,D-26 and several others)
12. Meucci (pp-3, Gambler 2, sneaky pete, freshman-1, MO Loree Jon Jones 2-point, etc.)
13. Joss (2)
14. Dufferin (2)
15. Viking (6)
16. Adam (Galaxie, United, Lufthansa and a few others)
17. Sampaio (Premier, Monaco)
18. Brunswick (Master Stroke and a few others)
19. Rich Cue Co. (8-pointer and older pearlized butt cue)
20. Lucasi (turquoise dealer cue)

I recounted how many cues i've owned since I started collecting in 2004 and it's over 80. If I live long enough I might catch some of you!;)

Last edited:

deanosdino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you guys could start a museum of pool cues. I'd like to see that.
Here's my scrubby list!
1. Jimmy Ingram (4)
2. John Guffey (fav hit)
3. Kent Taylor (blue book cue)
4. Jackson
5. Michael Durbin (2)
6. Chris cue, (Chris Whitaker)
7. Shurtz (sold way to cheap)
8. McDermott (seaky pete, M44A, M44B, M29A, C-5, D-11,D-12,D-17,D-25,D-26 and several others)
9. Meucci (pp-3, Gambler 2, sneaky pete, freshman-1, MO Loree Jon Jones 2-point, etc.)
10. Joss (2)
11. Dufferin (2)
12. Viking (6)
13. Adam (Galaxie, United, Lufthansa and a few others)
14. Sampaio (Premier, Monaco)
15. Brunswick (Master Stroke and a few others)
16. Rich Cue Co. (8-pointer and older pearlized butt cue)

I recounted how many cues i've owned since I started collecting in 2004 and it's over 80. If I live long enough I might catch some of you!;)

unicorncomputer

Possible scammer
Silver Member
I have been playing now for about 20 years.

I started off with a Mali, Meucci, Viking. Bought my Custom one of a kind McDermott in '92 or so. I have used an old Palmer and a Balabushka. I also have a Hoppe signed cue that I found while cleaning out a house.

I still like my McDermott(Wood joint) the most, I think just because I am comfortable with it.

Last edited:

mnplayer

Owned cues

In order:
Cheap off the shelf -Spalding or something like that (still have) (gone?)
McDermott EN-5 (still have) (traded)
Huebler Hustler
McDermott M7QR5 (still have) (sold on ebay)
J&J jump/break (still have) (sold)
Diviney (my shooter, awsome cue)
Josey hustler on the way (early March) (My new shooter, w (2) OB1's)
Fisher jump/break w two shafts - one hard leather tip/one phenolic
Jacoby edge break cue, wow nice breaker

If I wouldn't have left the Huebler sitting so long on the bar wall I may still have every cue I have ever owned, been looking for one of these ever since.

Last edited:

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Just a few myself..

1. Bobby Hunter 8+
2. Ginacue 3.
3. palmer 2.
4. Huebler 3.
5. Mariposa 4.
6. predator 6.
7. schonn 4.
8. Mottey 4.
9. blud 3.
10 Rambow's 2.
11. szamboti 2.
12. southwest 10.
13. D'lim 5.

Still more but to tired to type these are just ones i still own or owned for at least 5 months before trading or upsaling to another fancier one.
If it hits good I keep it if not sell it trade it.

Craig

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I've probably owned 2-3 times as many cars/trucks/Jeeps etc. as cues, but I thought it'd be cool to think about the one's I've had....here goes (in chronological order) -

Mali
Meucci
Cobra ???
Brunswick (Joss made)
Dufferin
Joss
McDermott (multiple ones)
Fury (J/B)
j&j (also a J/B)
Lucky (lower import McD line - not bad at all BTW)
and my new Jacoby
other brands/cuemakers that I had time with (more than a couple of racks) but didn't own (borrowed from friends etc.) - Schon, Pechauer, Viking, Lucasi, Predator, Falcon, Diveney, and my old man's Schuler.

I had a number of different McDermotts, so I listed it in the order that I had my first one - still have one, and had at least one from the first point in my list - on.

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone has owned so many different cues. Did each one have an impact on your game, or are they just fun to collect?

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
everything i have is listed in my signature. the only things missing from that list are a mali i owned in the mid 80's and a joss i had in the late 90's.

bnkunderme

Registered Hustler
Silver Member
McDermott w and w/out 314
Viking
Mucci - ugh
Joss
Schon
Olivier - the one that got away
Spitz x3
Terbrock
Hemstetter - ccs wood pin x2

ironworker78

breaker 1-9ner
Silver Member
Curious as to what cuemakers or production cues you've owned. I've had the following.

Joss, Schon, Porper, Mcdermott, Meucci, Mason Hougland, Joey Bautista, Sugartree, Scruggs, Nitti, Stacey, Carter, Madison Bob, Dzuricky, Duffern, Valley, Varney, Jensen, and a few others whose names aren't coming to mind right now. Will edit when they do.

All told I've had more joss and scruggs cues than anything else.

chad carter
maddison bob griffin
pat deviney
southwest
mike stacey
pdk

sorry a fan of the 3/8x11 pin
still tryn to add a
sugartree
bluegrass

ironworker78

breaker 1-9ner
Silver Member
Everyone has owned so many different cues. Did each one have an impact on your game, or are they just fun to collect?

cues are cues they all hit different and all play different ..its what feels best to you captian.... thats what will impact youre game...but yes they are fun to collect.....:thumbup:

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
A few-

I don't have many left, but they all held their value. There are two or three I regret having to sell:

Barnhart (2)
Bender
B. Szamboti
Bluegrass(2)
Brunswick
Schon
Pechauer (2)
Morris (2)
Howard (2)
Hercek
MasonH (3)
Mottey
Black Boar (2)
Cantando
Chudy
Capone
Haley
Olney (2)
Prewitt
-R-
Sugartree
Scruggs
Zylr

OBX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First cue was a Meucci. Second cue a Schuler. Don't use the Meucci anymore. Been using the Schuler for the past 13 years.

Last edited:

Ilike1pocket

Registered
Hmmmmmmmm

First was a Hoppe. Cost new in a Tube $19.95. Went to a Palmer before (way) they became production. When I was reborn in the game I turned to a Searing and R/T. If I get to start playing again I think it will be a Searing, there is no equal.

On owning but not playing, LOL, Hundreds. My favorite was a Harvey Martin. Never owned a Bushka but hit some balls with one Jack Justis owned, Sweet hit.:)