Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
My favorite are Tulipwood and Holly

P1300015-1.jpg

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meridianblades please tell me what the wood in the second pic is? That is crazy looking. Looks like what I would imagine the surface of Mars to look like. I bet a cue would look ridiculous with that wood in it.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Meridianblades please tell me what the wood in the second pic is? That is crazy looking. Looks like what I would imagine the surface of Mars to look like. I bet a cue would look ridiculous with that wood in it.

I was thinking erupting lava, that is one crazy looking wood indeed. If that is not stained and comes naturally like that I love it.

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
I was thinking erupting lava, that is one crazy looking wood indeed. If that is not stained and comes naturally like that I love it.

That is double dyed box elder burl. It has been double dyed black and red while being stabilized. The stabilizer and dyes go completely thru the entire piece of wood. So the coloring and brightness is consistent, regardless if you turn it on a lathe, or cut it completely in half for knife handles. Heres some that are their way to Canada tomorrow morning....

Larry

Front----
100_4580.jpg

Back ----

2shortyand2regBlackandRedBoxElderBurl.jpg

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
burly carpathian elm

osage orange - never seen it burled tho', bet it would be nice

Celtic

Silver Member
That is double dyed box elder burl. It has been double dyed black and red while being stabilized.

Larry

Gah, that is a shame. I am a purist when it comes to woods and I like the colors to be natural and only amplified by the varnish overcoat.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
probably the most striking wood I've ever seen was a Honduran rosewood burl....didn't see it in a cue though; I'm sure it'd look GREAT!

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
Gah, that is a shame. I am a purist when it comes to woods and I like the colors to be natural and only amplified by the varnish overcoat.

Lots of people dont care for the dyed stuff....different strokes for different folks.... this one is all natural, no dyes, and lots of color. Not stabilized yet either. Larry

3-4.jpg

Celtic

Silver Member
Lots of people dont care for the dyed stuff....different strokes for different folks.... this one is all natural, no dyes, and lots of color. Not stabilized yet either.

Sweet, thanks for posting that one. I like that stuff for sure.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently sold a Wenner cue that had some sick Snakewood in it,,,,,,,,it's pretty high on my list right now, close to amboyna burl,,,,,,,as a favorite, though they are not similar

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Figured but straight grain Braz Rosewood.
There a gazilion pretty woods but a lot of them are duds in the hit department.
Braz Rowewood is the king.
Pernambuco is the emperror. :)

I have a Bubinga that I really,really like. I have on order a very beautiful Curly Purpleheart that I hopefully will have in a few months. But the one that I wished I had ordered a long time ago is the most subtle and purest of them all--Pernambuco! I just need my cuemaker to make an old man happy and get off a piece of his stash at a good price. (hint)

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Mallee Burl!! I have never seen it used in a cue but love the color and look of it!! Not sure if it is even suitable for cues but it certainly looks sweet.