What pro player still plays with a Meucci

zcat27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
StraightPoolIU said:
I've heard stuff like that ever since I've been on this forum, but I've had my Meucci now for almost 12 years and it's still in tip top shape. Maybe the cue I got was the exception rather than the rule.

I don't play with a Meucci but I can't believe someone would say that. I've never heard of one Meucci cracking etc. I know the quality of his cues are not what they use to be anymore but that is rediculous.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Perhaps its all in the way one looks at it. A Meucci cue may be a worthless piece of junk in terms of being a collectable but its a very good cue to play pool with. Personally if I were going to get involved with collecting things, cue sticks would be the last thing on my list of good investments anyway.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the contrary, if you watch ebay very much Meucci's bring descent money. It is hard pressed to find one selling for less that $200-$250 or even higher. To me they still fetch a good price on there. But maybe the name is what is selling them. I personally, like some of you think the shaft ihas too much deflection. But to each his own. If we all liked the same cue there would only be one successful cuemaker making them all identical. Just my $.02.

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
instroke75 said:
whoopee ding dong, i'm happy that you're happy! i have owned several models from early 80s meucci originals to early 90s sneaky petes, don't like them personally, if you do great! i was actually trying to be funny, if i wasn't = whoooops, but since you did ask i do think they're garbageeeeeeeeeeeeee! and i don't really care about you're opinion because i'd rather play with a dufferin house cue than a freaking piece of firewood like your meucci! may you shoot many balls into the rails with it!!!!!!!!!!!

I see you've owned several and didn't like a one of them ? Why did you buy the second one ? ,,,or the third one ? ,,,or the fourth one ?

Must be a slow learner ! :rolleyes:

Edit,,, cuetrip already hit the nail on the head,,,I posted my thoughts before I read all the posts...lol

Last edited:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Meucci and McD's aren't the only production cue. A lot of pro players use Schon, Joss, and Predator.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe someone on here can tell me why the older model production cues seemed to play better than the new ones. I know that personally I liked the hit and feel of the older Meuccis and the older Schon's were the nuts.

What happened to the manufacture of these cues that diminished their playability? I for one, don't know.

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
instroke75 said:
aahhhhhhhhh poor baby, did i hit a sore spot with the balls into the rails comment? (truth hurt?)

Instroke...

Tell yah what... I got a old sneaky pete meucci with a cracked butt that has been epoxied back together.. Gimmee about a month once I get back in town in Lakeland, and you got action, and I'll shoot with that meucci.

There's nothing wrong with the meuccis made before Bob started using cheap materials. They're ugly cues, no doubt, but they hit well.

And don't woof at me and expect not to get played, either. Unless you shoot Josh Degler's speed, I ain't scared of you, and I live in Lakeland.

Russ

floppybear

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my 2 cents. No matter what kind of cue it is...if you like the way it hits..BUY IT! As for which cue is better I believe that everyone has different opinions so there cannot be one cue that is better than the other. Just remember...I'd put my money on "Ceasar Morales" playing most of you hoodlums one pocket with a broomstick.

jdelcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:
Instroke...

Tell yah what... I got a old sneaky pete meucci with a cracked butt that has been epoxied back together.. Gimmee about a month once I get back in town in Lakeland, and you got action, and I'll shoot with that meucci.

There's nothing wrong with the meuccis made before Bob started using cheap materials. They're ugly cues, no doubt, but they hit well.

And don't woof at me and expect not to get played, either. Unless you shoot Josh Degler's speed, I ain't scared of you, and I live in Lakeland.

Russ

::insert " crowd going 'ohhhhh!' " sound effect::

Lol...
On a seperate note, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters, mista Russ! :D

Gonna start callin' this guy a troll, too? Lol...:p

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
jdelcue@emory.e said:
::insert " crowd going 'ohhhhh!' " sound effect::

Lol...
On a seperate note, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters, mista Russ! :D

Hey, what can I say? I'm dropping 20 G's on a renovation + Diamond Table, and I'm taking a year off to play, and I played pretty damn well before I quit! The table ain't gonna just be for looks!

It's not so much his post, as the fact that the guys at Wally's like to woof. And to be dead honest, the only person in Lakeland I was EVER impressed with was Josh D. So I figure a month, MAYbe two of practice on a Diamond, and I am good to go. I figured I might as well woof a little myself to let those guys know the only reason they hadn't gotten played before now is I never got the chance to practice for the LAST EIGHT YEARS!

One guy used to woof at me at Wally's, then he finally p***ed me off enough to play him, I offered to play him any game for a few hundred a set, or a hundred a game one pocket, and he only wanted to play 100 sets in 9 ball, then he was dogging his *** off playing for 100 a set. I was freewheeling as it was, just to see how the guy responded, and another of the guys told him afterwards he was in over his head.

Yah never seen a practice monster like me!! If I don't win a few of the King's Bay tournaments within the year I take off, I will consider myself an absolute, abject failure.

There, I said it. Now, I have to back it up. I have no problems with that..

Russ

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
jdelcue@emory.e said:

Nah.... I know pretty much all the guys at Wally's.. I don't think any of them are troll material.

I know one of them is a hack, the one I played before... Then, there are two "players". One is a decent player, I'm pretty sure I got his number with some practice... And the other.. Well, I heard some people talking about him like he's the "truth".. How he "quit playing pool because it was no challenge any more.."

To say the least I am extremely dubious... NO one quits playing pool because it's too easy. It's a very rural area where everyone knows each other, so if I had to guess, I'd say he's a player good enough to trounce everyone in the room, then he played a "big dawg" and got retired.

Most of the guys in the room don't look like they travel around and play the great players in open tournaments, so I figure I'll have a bit of fun with Lakeland a few months after I get back.

As I always say, "There's nothing like a cocky son of a beach talking s**t to you, then getting your *** on the table and proving it!"

Russ

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't know which pro's still play with a meucci but a friend of mine has a great looking and playing meucci (pre dot) that looks and plays great. he got it for like 20 bucks.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Maybe someone on here can tell me why the older model production cues seemed to play better than the new ones. I know that personally I liked the hit and feel of the older Meuccis and the older Schon's were the nuts.

What happened to the manufacture of these cues that diminished their playability? I for one, don't know.

In MEUCCI's case it was the quality of the shaft wood. In the 70's/80's Bob bought some "first" quality blanks, cured and used them for some higher end cues and those destined to the many PLAYERS he sponsored. They would not have used the cues if they hit like wet noodles once they were out of sight. They actually inspected incoming raw materials on occasion,had skilled employees and were capable of producing cues that played well in the conditions that were prevelant.

Without getting into the dynamics of why, or how, many players also felt you could do more with the cueball, especially at distance, with a stock MEUCCI than other stock cues. That's one of the reasons some players (esp. 1P) still favor the old MEUCCI's.

A/VHomeStereo

Registered
I just got rid of my last Meucci in my collection. It was a very nice SE4, I could have held on to it for a very long time but for a Jeff Olney 6 pointer with boxes, rings, veneers, and reverse bacote and birdseye points. I will not miss that meucci very much.

BTW the secret to a meucci is top, center, or low. It's the only time they hit straight. LOL

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry to offend everyone! was just having a bit of fun, if it wasn't funny oh well, it isn't the first mistake i've made, won't be the last, as for you Russ, i'm not sure what rattled you so bad but i hope you do come back and start playing if you really live here! as for ccn7 i was just busting your balls if you took offense, I APOLOGIZE,

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
instroke75 said:
sorry to offend everyone! was just having a bit of fun, if it wasn't funny oh well, it isn't the first mistake i've made, won't be the last, as for you Russ, i'm not sure what rattled you so bad but i hope you do come back and start playing if you really live here! as for ccn7 i was just busting your balls if you took offense, I APOLOGIZE,

No problem, man.. It wasn't you specifically.. It was the idea of me getting woofed at by the Wally's players when I haven't been able to practice in the past eight years.

Now that I got at least a year off coming up, I figured I'd woof back at the Wally's players as a whole, yaknowwhatImean?

I am dude with a lot of pride. I told my first mentor when I left South Korea that I'd be good enough to beat him the next time I saw him, andd he laughed at me. Jut that laughed caused me to practice nonstop after work and on weekends for the next year solid.

He got beat the next time I saw him.. :D .

I'll admit, there is a certain level of frustration that has built up not getting to practice because I got married. I don't mind being woofed at, per se... But the players need to be above a certain level.

For an idea of what that level is.. It used to p*ss me off when Ed Porter from Tampa used to woof at me. Why? Because although he shot a shade under shortstop speed, I could see he had a dog complex. He'd just dog it if a player started running out from everwhere.

It's one thing to have the skills to be a run out player.. It's another thing to have the mental game to be a run out player.

So, like I said, don't get offended, it's just a little good natured woofing now that I know I am gonna get the chance to play...

Friendly tip, tho.. It's gonna be at least a year before I am back home.. But when I do come abck to Lakeland, you might want to hang back a little before betting against me with the Wally's crowd.

Hit em straight, man....

Russ

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I beleive Loree Jon Jones plays with a Meucci.

Edit to add: Oh my bad, sorry about posting on topic, just read the thread.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Meucci's

I agree, the old Meucci's, 70/early 80's didn't hit bad. Lot of times it is the way you have come up in the sport. Some guys start with a brand of cue, get used to it, and stick with it for years and years. Some people start with a soft tip, and become sold on them. We develop habits, and we tend to stick with what is comfortable for us.

30 years ago, I thought Joss was one of the very best cues out there, but I do not like the Joss's today, especially the < $500 ones. They hit like a steel rod with no feel at all, probably because of the 13.25mm shafts on them.

It's hard for people to break out of their habits, unless they are absolutely convinced they are going to something better. But, then, even with something better, you have to take a step backwards before going forwards.

Personally, I don't think you can really judge a cue completely unless you play with it for 3 weeks minimum. Kind of like cars, you can test drive them, but to find out everything about them takes awhile.

How I test cues:
1) Draw shots, long and short.
2) Force Spin shots.
3) 3 and 4 rail english shots.
4) Important test: object ball 1/2 table away.
Draw back 1-2".
Go forward 1-2".
5) cut shot with inside english then going 3 rails for shape.
6) Off the end rail shots with object ball down table almost straight.

You have to test for versitility as well as power in getting shape.

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Meucci

I have played with in order Schmelke, Viking, McDermott, Josswest, Joss, Meucci, and now I just yesterday received a Dominiak. Out of all those cues the Meucci(David Howard pre-dot) has better response than any of them. More controllable english from the tip to the shaft all the way to my fingers. None of them feel like the Meucci. I don't know what it is but it is real, for me anyway. The one thing about the Meucci that I have seen on this forum before is that the inlays seem to be growing. You can feel their outline by running your fingers over them. The Dominiak I am still test driving, so far it responds just fine.:D