What pro player still plays with a Meucci

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PROG8R said:
That is going to be one heck of a laundry table. :D JK
JD still plays and has been seeping into Brevard for games lately.
As for the KBT, Dan Lavoi has been playing very good lately. I had not seen him play for sometime, but I got to watch him play Louis Viera at a pro stop in Melbourne and he was going jam up!! He maybe one closer to your neck of the wood to pratice with.
Hey, I have played that Viera guy. He hit'em pretty good on me. Went back and had to recoup the loss. He CAN play when he's out front, I guarantee it.

M HOUSE

Silver Member
Efren and a Meucci

Those of you who play with a Meucci may find this interesting. Back in the mid-eighties I had a room in south Florida. A friend of mine, Carlos V. of Conn., would come down each summer and stay about a month, playing anyone who wanted to play. It just so happened that one summer Efren was in town when Carlos arrived. Efren had been coming in for about four days in a row and would practice for a coulple of hours each day. (Watching how Efren practiced was an education, but that's another story.) Now, with both players in town, there were some from each camp who wanted to see a money match-up. We all wound up at what was then Gold Crown Billiards in Hollywood. After some discussion the group that was backing Carlos came to me to see what I thought of the offer from Efren"s group. They were offering to spot Carlos the call seven, the wild eight, and the break. Now these were not the kind of people you would want to give bad advice to (if you know what I mean), but I told them quickly that it wasn't going to get any better than this and that the other group must not know how good Carlos plays. So the match was on, a race to 25 for 5k.
Carlos came out of the gate red hot. Of the first ten games Carlos came up dry on the break only twice, and of course Efren ran out both times. When the score reached eight to two Efren asked for a break in the match. (This is where it gets good for you Meucci fans) Efren had been at a tournament in Miami just the day before and naturally had won. First place paid some cash along with a new Meucci cue. Having no need for the Meucci he put it in the trunck of the car.
To my surprise when Efren took the time-out he went out to the car and brought in the Meucci, still in the plastic bag. Since he was giving up the break as part of the spot, he didn't need a break cue, and he had run out the only two times he had gotten to the table, so I thought this was all simply a ploy to break the rythem of the match which wasn't going his way.
I watched in disbelief as Efren put away his Gina cue, tore open the plastic bag, sanded the tip, chalked up, and said "lets play". I remember thinking ' He's got to be kidding, he's going to be missing balls and probaly have no idea of why he missed'... I was wrong, way wrong. Those that were lucky enough to be there that day witnessed perfect pool. Efren never missed a ball that he was attempting to pocket, never even whobbled one in (and this was a thight pocket table). And his safety play was amazing as usual.
It wasn't like there was no heat on Efren either. Carlos missed only one ball that he was attempting to pocket during the entire match. In what has to be one of the best played matches ever, Efren won 25 to 23. I have seen this match mentioned in the forums before as the best match that poster had ever seen, but I'm not sure if that poster was aware that Efren won 23 of his 25 games with a cue he had never hit a ball with, a Meucci at that ...

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie4269 said:
Early Meucci's were good cues. Hell, for the most part they weren't even really production cues til the late 80's.

Not exactly accurate.

Production - as early as the mid 1970s Mooch had
10 or so models - no variation - made in a factory
by a bunch of production workers.

How does that vary from a production cue?

Dale

Methodman201

@gmail.com
Silver Member
I Know that David Howard Still plays with a Meucci, Few people I look up too, He's one. I've owned a Meucci Gambler for quite some time, Got rid of it a few years ago. Thinking about maybe picking one up again, For ole times sake.

M HOUSE

Silver Member
Definition of a production cue? .. In 1987 a lady came into our retail shop and upon seeing some Meucci cues in the display case made the comment, "So this is what they look like." She explained that she was on vacation from Mississippi and had never seen the finished product. Her job...... she worked on the assembly line at the Meucci factory.

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no need for this

5ballcharlie said:
dont ya hate when some asshole tries to flame you about your opinions
if you you'd bother to read a little further you'd see that i apoligized to the guy because i was just joking when i made the original comment, because as everyone knows cues are all matter of preference!.....jeremy

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
Meucci cues are generaly lower deflection than other production cues, plus like has been said action on the cue ball is why most people like them. The taper is also another reason, its confortable.

Meuci cues, made with whatever materials, last, under normal conditions, Ive seen a few with a wobble, but never anything other than battle scars. I am certain they will not simply fall apart... Abuse is the downfall of a Meucci cue, not its construction. I have talked to Bob personaly, and he still feels he makes the best cues in the world. Im not sure id agree, but they are certainly not the worst.

SPINDOKTOR

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not one to bring to life old threads, but I happened upon this one looking for something else. To name at least a couple of pros that are currently playing w/Meucci's: Corey Deuel and Max Eberle recently joined the Meucci team...and singing their praises.

Dave

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not one to bring to life old threads, but I happened upon this one looking for something else. To name at least a couple of pros that are currently playing w/Meucci's: Corey Deuel and Max Eberle recently joined the Meucci team...and singing their praises.

Dave
Sky Woodward,Jayson Shaw,Dennis Hatch all play with Meucci's.

Justin Bergman soon will too i heard.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Know that David Howard Still plays with a Meucci, Few people I look up too, He's one. I've owned a Meucci Gambler for quite some time, Got rid of it a few years ago. Thinking about maybe picking one up again, For ole times sake.
I still have a David Howard Original from the 70s. Still hits great. Original shaft has a hairline behind the tip. Amazingly straight for its age.
I did have the linen replaced when it rotted. Plays great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact is Earl Strickland played as good or better with Meucci as any cue he played. He switched to Cue Tix because of endorsement money. Johnny Archer,David Howard and many others played some of their best pool with Meucci. You need a straight arrow but it is more about the Indian than the arrow. I dont think the stick Johnny uses today is really expensive .

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The fact is Earl Strickland played as good or better with Meucci as any cue he played. He switched to Cue Tix because of endorsement money. Johnny Archer,David Howard and many others played some of their best pool with Meucci. You need a straight arrow but it is more about the Indian than the arrow. I dont think the stick Johnny uses today is really expensive .

You sure about Archer? Don't recall him using a Meucci. As I recall, his early go-to cues were Schon.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Yes. No Meucci for Archer, as I recall.

I remember the ivory handled Schon cue. :eek:
A friend of mine got a hold of it and re-sold it for a collector.
The late Tony Ellin had one like it too.
JA went from Schon to Scorpion. No Meucci.
Meucci contracted a ton of pros back in '94 or '95. I saw them tape the Meucci ad at the Riviera . Among them were Varner, Davenport, Carter, Howard, Pierce and so on.
I believe most of them got stiffed.:D

JohnnyC

Registered
It's all about feel. I don't think there's any one cue that's "better" than any other. As long as the cue is a quality made cue it then comes down to feel. McDermott and Meucci never had the feel that was right for me so I never played with them. When I was a retailer people would come in and ask what was the best cue and my reply would always be the one that feels best in your hand. My older brother was a top player and he played with Gina and Szamboti cues. Nice cues, but neither had the feel I was looking for. As for me, I prefer Rick Howard cues.