Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 43 50.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Totally BS and a display of your passive/aggressive tendencies. You couldn't care less about Stan. You despise him...........remember the PM (PMs.....another one of your "tools") you sent me talking about him?

Just an attempt to soften or halt my recent posting because you know Stan and I are close friends.

Did you not see my last post. That should be ALL that I need say.

But...

I certainly do not despise Stan & I truly indeed have given him appreciative & approving thumbs up on several posts that he has made.

I don't hold grudges & I do not 'judge' every aspect by another singular aspect.

I do not agree with how he describes his aiming 'system' & I am befuddled at how he maintains that it is such & I am certainly not fond of him saying some of the things that he has said about those that are not in agreement with him including me.

But you are like some others & think that you are omniscient & can read the hearts & minds of others.

In the heat of 'battle' Stan has not been & unless something changes certainly will not be close to one of my favorite people but I don't hold grudges.

I am perplexed by how Stan chooses to describe his aiming method & how he seems to not be able to see or willing to admit the reality & that has caused me to consider every possibility as to why it seems that he can not see or will not admit the reality.

In any case, you've now admitted your motives for stalking around behind me in rather many threads & you really do seem to be one that projects yourself & how you are out onto others. I sincerely hope & pray that that is NOT a 100% true trait of yourself. In any case you need to realize that everyone is not like you.

Some, like myself have an affinity for the truth.

I would not recommend Stan's aiming method to anyone thinking that it is an objective aiming 'system' & does not realize that it will still require their subjectively learned 'aiming' skills. If they realize such then certainly they should do as they please & will not be disappointed when knowing such going in.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'd hardly call using the squirt of the cue ball as the main means of getting the cue ball to the point(s) on the object ball so that it pockets...a cookie cutter way to play.

Perhaps if you or anyone else is interested they can start a poll to see how many on AZB play that way.

It is a very dynamic method that is dependent on the proper amount of speed combined with the proper amount of tip offset...
but it can be every effective, but hardly a cookie cutter method.

CJ NEVER promoted or suggested that his version of TOI was an aiming system.

When put together with other methods & aspects of play one might then call it a system of various methods or components.

sys·tem
ˈsistəm/Submit
noun
a set of connected things or parts forming a complex whole, in particular.
a set of principles or procedures according to which something is done; an organized scheme or method.

So... unlike the the single component of 'aiming' CJ formed or organized a scheme or method of play that were connected to the TOI method in that even when he used outside english he originates it based on as if the shot were going to be shot with the TOI before adjusting.

The word system alone by itself has a meaning as defined.

When the word is put into a phrase it can either fit appropriately or it can inappropriately not fit.

CJ Wiley has a systemic method of playing the game or he has a system for playing the game that he implements. He calls it the TOI System.

So & so has a system of spinning the cylinder when playing Russian Roulette. Or so & so promotes what he calls an objective aiming system.

Those are an example of both an appropriate fit & inappropriate fits.

I can see no system to the random spinning of a cylinder...

& since there can really be no truly complete objective system that any normal human being would be capable of implementing, it would be an inappropriate fit there in that it implies something that is not.

All that said, I really do not see the point of your post.

I guess it was just your turn to stand the post.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
No need to comment on CJ..........we all know that story.

But I was wondering what "insights" are you talking about when it comes to Fran. You've never met her, right?........so no personal lessons. You've never bought anything from her (you've never bought any recent DVD from anyone, right?.....including TOI, right?).

All you have is what she's said on this forum of which the majority is sound advice for all. But all the good stuff I've read is essentially the same thing all the other good instructors are saying.

Can you give us some examples with links of what you consider to be unique insights from Fran. Is one of them her definition of a swipe stroke?

Im guessing Rick has never had a pool lesson, never met an instructor nor bought a pool DVD, thus why hes an expert on the subject. LOL

But he read a few posts from a couple of instructors and stayed at a holiday inn once, so take ricks advice with a huge grain of salt ;)

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Go with an instructor that was a former "player", I.E. FranCrimi, CJ, & Ray Martin currently holding court in the Carolinas. Bottom line, they've been there & done it, what better place to learn.

The "others", certified, yada, yada. I'm sure there are some good ones, especially for beginners but you know the old adage, Those that can play, do, those that can't, teach. Just my opinion.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I took lessons from Fran when I started. She tweaked my fundamentals. She could have milked me for more lessons but she told me what I needed was table time, competition and periodic check up lessons to make sure I did not develop a bad habit.

A unique insight ? How about the below post she made about how best to improve ? I think this is GOLD.

"it all comes down to a strong work ethic. But the way you improve depends on your personality and what you respond to. You have to find the winning formula for yourself. For example, some players are great observers, and when they see a player do something that interests them, they take it to the practice table and work on it over and over until they figure it out.

Some players learn best when they are under pressure. They will continually jump into competition and will learn how to improve by getting beat up by their opponents. That's extreme learning under fire, but it does have it's merits.

Other players need a structured format to follow or they get confused and frustrated. They may buy a book and start at chapter 1.

Other players like to simply fly by the seat of their pants. They will just play and play and play and let their sub-conscious work it out.

One thing is for sure: You need to put in lots of table time. There's no shortcut there.

What do you like about the learning process? What interests you? What feels more like fun than work? Those questions will help you figure out your personal formula for success"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I think the "link" that would be seen between the 2 is they are both former pro players, no more, no less. That they are "players" who have been tested & proven in elite competitive fields of pro players. While you might think CJ is an embarrassment or whatever negative connotation you seem to have of him it cannot be denied where he's been & what he's done in the game in both tournament play & IMO more importantly, road work for the $. I find it amusing that people he can spot an insufferable amount of weight to want to portray him as a Charlatan.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I would go with Tor Lowry who does the Zero X.

I have DVDs from many of those listed and Tor is the only one that doesn't have some gimick or short cut.

Just doing the first simple drill that he recommends of shooting thousands of balls into a pocket has really helped me. He has no short cuts, just practice and repetition.

🎱

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick...Your "dumbass" quotient is showing. Randy Goettlicher was the FIRST Master Instructor. Fran came long after.

There are different levels of certified instructors because more knowledge equates to higher level instruction (most of the time). Sadly there are a few Master Instructors who cannot play and cannot teach well...certainly none of the instructors Randy or I have certified fall into this catagory.

Smoothstroke learned what he knows from Randyg. That should tell you something...:rolleyes:

Once again, you show that you have a closed mind, and cannot nor will not open it even a little, so that you might be able to learn somthing new. BTW, good job hogging the thread. You've got 40 out of 99 posts in this thread! Egads!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

There are those like Ms Crimi that were Master Instructors of the former BCA program before the formation of the Association of the PBI. Even what the PBIA calls 'certified' is actually just a 'recognized' designation as they are 'certified' as recognized. Then there is the actual certified, advance, etc.

If that is the case then why are there different designation levels of PBIA instructors?

There is another here on AZB from whom I have seen very good insights, but does not really promote himself as an instructor even though he is & he goes by SmoothStroke here on AZB.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'm an awesome teacher, and I use shortcuts. :) What I mean is you would not need a lesson from me, and then six months of drills, and then, maybe, improvement. My students play better, even after one lesson intensive. I like Tor's stuff, too. He is a good communicator.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Just want to mention, I would not use an instructor who promotes one ideology for mechanics, aiming or anything else. I have come to appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of many different styles of play - there is definitely no one way to do it. It all comes down to shotmaking, cue ball control, and knowledge - no matter how uniquely or individually a player might achieve these.

Proof? How many instructors would have put up with Efren's erratic stroke, Bustamante's pre shot routine, or Keith McCready's sidearm? Change any of this and you lose a champion!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
In a way I view pool like one might view martial arts styles - there's more than one way to kick someone's ass. For example, many instructors would want to shorten Shane's stroke, or lengthen Allen Hopkin's. Ever notice Nick Van Den Berg's massive elbow drop? None of these things seem to hurt these players.

Whatever is effective for that player and gets the job done, is right. I agree that instruction is a fast track to improvement, but rigidity in instruction is certainly not. There is no "secret" as some instructors claim to own. We've fallen behind because there is no real pro circuit here.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Which instructor you need is determined by the level of your play. If you are a beginner, or novice, then any "qualified" instructor can teach you the fundamentals of the game.

If you have reached an A-level, or higher, then you don't need the "cookie board cutter" type of instructor, you need a "pro"' IMHO, to teach you strategies and stuff that the average instructor can't, because they have "never been there, done that".

When it comes to playing at the highest levels for the cash, it would be hard to "beat" somebody with C. J.'s knowledge and experience as an instructor.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^