Who Really is the BEST Pool Hustler in the Country?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think that the best is the guy whose name everyone knows but whose face many don't know.

Several years ago, Jack Cooney was inducted into the one pocket hall of fame during the Derby City Classic. A few people who had spent much of their life on the road told me after the awards banquet, in essence, "I'd heard a lot about him and his face looked familiar but I had no idea THAT was Jack Cooney."

I remember thinking that Cooney was, perhaps, the standard bearer for the great hustlers.

Last edited:
SJD is trash he can't beat anyone... CJ would run show on him

You may be right, after all SJD had to learn 1pocket for years by playing Ronnie Allen, Jack Breit, and many other top players of his era whereas CJ learned the game in 3 weeks playing nobody that anybody ever heard of, not to mention their age gap. SJD is about 80 years old.

ONB

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
I think that the best is the guy whose name everyone knows but whose face many of them don't know.

Several years ago, Jack Cooney was inducted into the one pocket hall of fame during the Derby City Classic. A few people who had spent much of their life on the road told me after the awards banquet, in essence, "I'd heard a lot about him and his face looked familiar but I had no idea THAT was Jack Cooney."

Funny, but a guy that wised me up about a lot early on once told me that he swore Cooney was a shape shifter. He said every time he seen Cooney (which was probably more than most) he would not only look different but he swore Jack would look taller or shorter. He said most of the time he wouldn't pick up on who it was until he had taken a double or triple take. LOL

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Funny, but a guy that wised me up about a lot early on once told me that he swore Cooney was a shape shifter. He said every time he seen Cooney (which was probably more than most) he would not only look different but he swore Jack would look taller or shorter. He said most of the time he wouldn't pick up on who it was until he had taken a double or triple take. LOL

Wow, that would explain a lot Thanks for sharing..

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember thinking that Cooney was, perhaps, the standard bearer for the great hustlers.

You got that right SJM..I've known him since the old Cochran days in SF..He was REAL good at staying under cover,
and getting the cash ! :thumbup:

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PS..He also had a full time road partner as sharp as he was..Barb Cooney !

JackBarbaraCooneyJimmySpears-web.jpg

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
There seems to be about 5 or 6 TV shows trying to accomplish the same exact thing. I got news for you, skill level is probably the least important thing involved. Being entertaining is what will make people tune in, not that you can cut the paint off the ball, I assure you no one cares that you can do that although you have spent much of your life learning how to. It's irrelevant.

Further more some true hustlers would figure out how everyone can get paid. What you guys are talking about has nothing to do with being a hustler. You'd be much better off playing for a million in fake money and putting on a hell of a show that somehow gets a viewers attention so then that advertising money comes in on a major network and you are getting $50k or more per episode just to show up and entertain. Instead you have broke people trying to take from broke people. I got news for you, There are literally hundreds of thousands of people in just our country that if they woke up and only had $20k they would be on suicide watch. There is nothing impressive about that figure.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best hustler in history was the fem fatale Frances Anderson.

For some 25 years she went undefeated, with a running offer to play any female for up to $5k , which was a lot of money in the early 1900s.

She even toured with Ralph Greenleaf and beat many a man along the way..

But the thing is, Frances was really a man, and not a single person noticed, he duped them all and laughed until he cried...

Which he did. His real name was Orie and he committed suicide alone in a hotel room.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
SJD is trash he can't beat anyone... CJ would run show on him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the racetrack, 'show' means you came third.
So if you 'showed' at a pool match....
....it means one of the sweaters beat you also.
:rolleyes:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Frisco Jack had the perfect goofy smile when he would make a game.
....and Barb is a sweetheart.

Jack has some of my cash....$300 playing gin. :angry:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The best hustler in history was the fem fatale Frances Anderson.

For some 25 years she went undefeated, with a running offer to play any female for up to $5k , which was a lot of money in the early 1900s.

She even toured with Ralph Greenleaf and beat many a man along the way..

But the thing is, Frances was really a man, and not a single person noticed, he duped them all and laughed until he cried...

Which he did. His real name was Orie and he committed suicide alone in a hotel room.

That would seem to be a great subject for the next pool movie.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
There seems to be about 5 or 6 TV shows trying to accomplish the same exact thing. I got news for you, skill level is probably the least important thing involved. Being entertaining is what will make people tune in, not that you can cut the paint off the ball, I assure you no one cares that you can do that although you have spent much of your life learning how to. It's irrelevant.

Further more some true hustlers would figure out how everyone can get paid. What you guys are talking about has nothing to do with being a hustler. You'd be much better off playing for a million in fake money and putting on a hell of a show that somehow gets a viewers attention so then that advertising money comes in on a major network and you are getting $50k or more per episode just to show up and entertain. Instead you have broke people trying to take from broke people. I got news for you, There are literally hundreds of thousands of people in just our country that if they woke up and only had $20k they would be on suicide watch. There is nothing impressive about that figure.

Frosty is the preacher.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This hustler "challenge" is for the most part, a joke. In reality , its just some marketing tactic for product placement, reality show promo. Blah blah blah. The better player heads up player is Cj, I think everyone knows that. Its just that, Cj will not play in a neutral place. Also, give scooter a real chance of winning. Cj doesn't book a bad game. I think scooter knowing his opponent will gamble more often. But not in this case. Someone suggested the DDC as a site and that would be a great place. You know scooter would be there waiting to get woolfing going with Cj and to make a game of some sort. But, I think Cj is scared. And the real pressure to match up would be on him. Especially in front of all of pools gamblers and hustlers.

Too much talking and not enough walking.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
We really don't do the whole "woofing" thing, we either play or travel

Indianapolis is a neutral place, I've played there once, years ago. And yes, this is a very real thing, if not with Scooter, with other gamblers.

Chances are I won't be able to match up with Scooter or Tedder, the last time I tried they wanted the 7/8/9 on Tedder's home table in Alabama. He informed me that he saw me play Shane at the Derby City tournament and that knocked the game. - I ended up playing "Straight Rail Billiards" with some Korean guys in that pool room.

We really don't do the whole "woofing" thing, we either play or travel somewhere else.

This hustler "challenge" is for the most part, a joke. In reality , its just some marketing tactic for product placement, reality show promo. Blah blah blah. The better player heads up player is Cj, I think everyone knows that. Its just that, Cj will not play in a neutral place. Also, give scooter a real chance of winning. Cj doesn't book a bad game. I think scooter knowing his opponent will gamble more often. But not in this case. Someone suggested the DDC as a site and that would be a great place. You know scooter would be there waiting to get woolfing going with Cj and to make a game of some sort. But, I think Cj is scared. And the real pressure to match up would be on him. Especially in front of all of pools gamblers and hustlers.

Too much talking and not enough walking.

Last edited:

Birriards

Banned
You may be right, after all SJD had to learn 1pocket for years by playing Ronnie Allen, Jack Breit, and many other top players of his era whereas CJ learned the game in 3 weeks playing nobody that anybody ever heard of, not to mention their age gap. SJD is about 80 years old.

ONB

I learned to play basketball by playing against Lebron James in middle school... Why am I not in the nba....??

SJD is just an old bum who never won any big tourneys... His game was and is trash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk