Who Really is the BEST Pool Hustler in the Country?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
scooter gettin the last 4 is bout right...isn't that what svb gave up when he robbed him?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
we do this type thing several times a year, this is just the first time we've made it public

I see. Any particular reason that you chose to make it public at this time?

Several times a year you say. You guys must be pretty great at keeping secrets. What are the chances of something this big, several times a year being kept such a well guarded secret.

Oh well, everyone knows about it now.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, you are playing correctly. The 6/7/8/9 and the "Last 4" are the same thing EXCEPT there's no early combinations when getting the "Last 4".

If you were playing the original rules and agreed to spot "one before the money ball" this would be the same thing with the 6/7/8/9 on the table......whether getting the "6 Out" OR "The Last 4" you would spot the 5 if you made it and scratched (ball in hand behind the line).

The way we have always played round these parts : you break and make 7-8 then you run and your money balls would be 4,5,6,9 unless something else would be made earlier. AND these WOULD ALWAYS be called balls unless specifies before match last 4 FREE. Same thing with the 6- out or whatever... Always called balls unless specified from the get. Huge differences. Always called unless specified from the get. Period

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The way we have always played round these parts : you break and make 7-8 then you run and your money balls would be 4,5,6,9 unless something else would be made earlier. AND these WOULD ALWAYS be called balls unless specifies before match last 4 FREE. Same thing with the 6- out or whatever... Always called balls unless specified from the get. Huge differences. Always called unless specified from the get. Period

Who are you? I was in last wèeked and asked about you. Seems almost nobody is on AZ at Top Hat.
PM is ok, would like to meet a fellow (currently) b more resident

phillyviper1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scooter gettin the last 4 is bout right...isn't that what svb gave up when he robbed him?

Shane gave him the 5 out and breaks playing 10 ball on the bar table and all the money balls counted on the break. Oh and yes shane robbed him at that

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the gambling part of pool and it's been a major part of my life since the 80s. In my travels I've partnered and gambled against some of the all time best. JR Weldon, Dalton, Vernon Elliot, "Frisco Jack," "Omaha John," "Surfer Rod," and many others including (who I think is #1) STRONG ARM JOHN.

Gambling on pool games require one important component ... A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION. This isn't about "woofing" at anyone, it's about muscling up and showing who really is THE BEST! We can also gamble at basketball, foot racing, tennis, golf, table tennis, foosball, "one handed pool," or any other proposition scenario Scooter and "S.A.John" can match up.

We do believe Scooter is the best "new generation" pool hustler, however he's not (imho) the best hustler in the Country.......Strong Arm John has that title and is willing to prove it where it counts - On the Green Felt for the Cash.

We have the perfect "win/win" scenario to prove who really is the best and give Scooter's crew the chance to make $20,000+ in 3 days or less. I will guarantee Scooter's crew will have the chance to win more than 20k.......if they can win.;)

We challenge Scooter to bring "his crew" to play "our crew" in Indianapolis for $20,000 (minimum entry fee) and must play and continue to "match up" until one crew has $40,000. This will be a HUGE feather in Scooter's hat and prove he really is #1. After the match we will shake hands and acknowledge the winner as "The Best Hustler of the Generations".

This is a friendly offer to "Play Some Pool Fast Eddie" (or Fast Scooter) ;)

Remember one thing, Scooter - 'The Real "Best Pool Hustler" Will Be Your Teacher'

click picture

Believe CJ When he says Strong Arm John is the best American hustler of all time!

Strong Arm John came to Baltimore about 12 years ago , the man had people gambling that never even gambled before, He busted the owner OF HOT SHOTS billiards and Rose dale inn for some serious money (Sonny),

John Hustled the bar every nite til closing time and then went over to the pool room that was across the street on Pulaski Hway.

John beat players while he played Jam up with a broom stick and ARM wrestled anybody that would dare try and John demolished the few that tried him .

Plus all along while John was busting everyone he played, you couldn't help but TO like the man, SAJ is GOOD PEOPLE!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe CJ When he says Strong Arm John is the best American hustler of all time!

Strong Arm John came to Baltimore about 12 years ago , the man had people gambling that never even gambled before, He busted the owner OF HOT SHOTS billiards and Rose dale inn for some serious money (Sonny),

John Hustled the bar every nite til closing time and then went over to the pool room that was across the street on Pulaski Hway.

John beat players while he played Jam up with a broom stick and ARM wrestled anybody that would dare try and John demolished the few that tried him .

Plus all along while John was busting everyone he played, you couldn't help but TO like the man, SAJ is GOOD PEOPLE!

How interesting! That is the *exact time* that Keith busted all of Baltimore. There was so much pool action at Hot Shots all night long that the prostitutes living next door at Regal Inn were kept quite busy. They were rolling in the dough, and Regal Inn, the dirtest and worst hotel I've ever seen in life, a real dump, was filled up every night with no vacancies. :embarrassed2:

Capital City Classic tournament had just ended, and so some of the players decided to stay in town. They came to Hot Shots in Baltimore to try to get played. Mark Gregory, Marcus Chamat, Monica Webb, and Helena Thornfeldt were some of the players who remained behind after the tournament concluded. Keith had no ID on him, and Marcus had to put up his passport for Keith to get a room at that filthy Regal Inn next door. :eek:

I had been away from the pool world, working on my career, so I was unfamiliar with the new generation of pool peeps in my area. That's the first time I met Pookie, White Max, Ryan McCreesh, Black Henry, Mark Ford, and a few other local players. Pookie managed to score a win against Keith, because nobody knew him, and he asked for a huge spot. Keith granted his request, wanting to see what Pookie could do on a field of green. I think it was the last 3 and the breaks. Pookie was stealing, but Pookie didn't have the art of the hustle down pat, because he only got played one set. He showed a little too much finesse and didn't lay down the lemon. Keith recognized Pookie had a little more talent than he was letting on. I did know all the old-school players, but there was a new generation afoot that I did not know. :)

Keith literally busted Tony Long a few times at the Rosedale Inn. Nobody could believe it because Tony Long was King of the Bar Tables in Baltimore and would bet it as high as you could stack it. :cool:

Players came out of the woodwork and tried to sneak in Hot Shots when they heard about the non-stop action, thanks to Keith. Punky from Hagerstown made an appearance, though I don't think he got played the night I was there.

That player from West Virginia, who probably was one of the best hustlers ever, flew under the radar, he came. Man, I can't remember his name now. I want to say Lloyd, but that may not be right. He passed away a few years ago. He played strong. They called Keith from his hotel room next door to come in and play him when he first walked in, but when Keith stepped his first foot in the pool room and saw who it was, he immediately walked out, not wanting to blow the West Virginia player's cover. They were friends. :wink:

Grimes (can't remember his first name) came to Baltimore to see what all the fuss was about. He stayed for 2 weeks with a Virginia stakehorse who drove around in a Lincoln. I met the stakehorse out in the parking lot, and for some reason, he wanted to show off his gun that he carried in his glovebox. I didn't care to break bread with this guy and kept my distance from then on.

The Glen Burnie old-time regulars were in full force at Hot Shots to sweat the festivities when Keith came to town. They literally came out of the woodwork, to include Fat Wayne and Piano Man. Even Cigar Tom made a cameo appearance, though he preferred to stay at his hangout, Running Out Billiards, in Dundalk. Cigar Tom had as much action as he wanted by appointment, and he is probably Baltimore's most heralded pool player of all times. Everybody loves Cigar Tom, a no-nonsense, unassuming kind of player. Cigar Tom lets his stick do the talking for him. Fat Wayne, Piano Man, and me were betting on the side 24/7. We had a blast, all three of us. :grin-square:

The late Little Petey, Nate and his Uncle Jake, and Bus Driver Ronnie also came to Sonny's to get in on the happenings.

After a few weeks of busting every bar known to man in the Baltimore metropolitan area, Sonny, the owner of Hot Shots, asked Keith if he would consider being the house pro at Hot Shots. The business in his pool room increased ten-fold when Keith came to town, but that's about the time I snatched Keith and brought him to D.C. with me. I actually think I saved his life. The occupational hazards of being in action 24/7, hustling pool in Baltimore, well, it wasn't a healthy lifestyle. And I'll just leave it at that.

Even as well known as Keith McCready was at this time in the underground pool world, he still hustled and got played. Everybody wanted to take a shot at him and tried to match up to get a game. Keith gave up the world sometimes, too much weight, I think, but that's what a gambler does who wants to win that money. Keith was hustling, even though every single person he played knew who he was. It didn't matter who he was. That was the beauty of it.

It wasn't all big W's, though, for Keith in Baltimore. The best coin throwers in the world hail from Baltimore, and my poor Keith didn't know it. One night, when I was not in the pool room, these coin throwers came to Hot Shots and got Keith's nostrils wide open, to throw some quarters against the wall. They busted Keith that night. It wouldn't have happened on my watch if I was there. :mad:

Word to the wise ---> Don't ever throw coins with anyone from Baltimore. You will go home with empty pockets. :yes:

It's amazing to me, the timing of this who's-the-best-hustler discussion, but I'll roll with it and contribute my 2 cents. I've hung out with the the cream of the crop when it came to road agents and hustling pool in my neck of the woods. Everybody boasts about their regional favorites because these are the players they know and have seen up front and close. I consider many of the players in my area as good friends, but none of them have the charisma, the gift of gab, and the ability to play all games, to include snooker, as Keith. Most pool players today are one-trick ponies and specialize in only one game of pocket billiards, like Cliff Joyner's expertise in the one-pocket game. A good hustler plays all games on any equipment and gets played wherever he hangs his hat, and that's Keith McCready. :cool:

Here's Keith circa about 2002 when he first came to Baltimore and played anyone who asked. It didn't matter who they were. They would get played. :smile:

Attachments

• Christian and Fabiola 024.jpg
    Christian and Fabiola 024.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
The way I've always played is this.... If I give you the last 4 and any of the last four balls go in a pocket while you're at the table you win unless they are called balls and that has to be specified. The 6 out would be 6.7,8,9 at anytime in any pocket while your at the table unless it's the call 6,7,8,9

Thanks Pete, and CJ. I think you guys just play a little different from the way I've played and seen it done. Around here if you get the last 4, you don't know your spot until 5 balls remain, so you cant win on the break with a spot ball.

If you get the 6 and out, call pocket is assumed. If not, the spot wouldn't be 6 and out, it'd be "wild 6 and out." Even then, those spot balls come up after the break.

I'm not arguing that I'm right. Just saying I think rules vary regionally.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Not as much as he won back later. This is not a good example to use.

So how much did he lose to Shane ? I'm sure he plays better than what he showed, but holy cow, he literally got the nuts and lost bad.

I will take the same game from scooter when he gets to Chicago :grin:

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care why this thread was started, I'm loving the stories. I wish I was old enough to be around when all this was taking place. I would have been on the road as much as possible just to see some of these matches.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
no contest really

The best hustler alive, the best hustler in the history of pool, dollar for dollar, Mike Sigel.

IPT

Hu

Thanks Pete, and CJ. I think you guys just play a little different from the way I've played and seen it done. Around here if you get the last 4, you don't know your spot until 5 balls remain, so you cant win on the break with a spot ball.

If you get the 6 and out, call pocket is assumed. If not, the spot wouldn't be 6 and out, it'd be "wild 6 and out." Even then, those spot balls come up after the break.

I'm not arguing that I'm right. Just saying I think rules vary regionally.

If you are getting the last 4 and there are 5 balls on the table which are your money balls? Say the 4, 6, 7,8 & 9 are left.

If you are getting the last 4 and make 6 balls on the break you win the game.

ONB

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
If you are getting the last 4 and there are 5 balls on the table which are your money balls? Say the 4, 6, 7,8 & 9 are left.

If you are getting the last 4 and make 6 balls on the break you win the game.

ONB

Then the 6 would be my called spot ball because its the 4th last ball remaining. I wouldn't consider I it a money ball either. (Money balls only come up in Chicago.)

As far as the break, only the 9 can win on the break....spot or no spot.