Who will win? Earl Strickland vs Efren Reyes January 14-16, 2014

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm no fan of Earl but I think Earl should hammer him.This is the type of match
where the odds in the betting field will determine the winner.Maybe its me getting
older but my trust level for the game has slowly diminished over the years:smile:
The upset could be in the cards

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't remember if it was Efren, but did he recently get laser surgery on his eyes?

RedEyeJedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't remember if it was Efren, but did he recently get laser surgery on his eyes?

I know that he has had laser eye surgery, I think I've seen interviews from years back where he gives a plug to the Dr. that did it for him back in the Philippines, and largely credited that for his return to form. That said, no idea if he has had another correction done since then.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that he has had laser eye surgery, I think I've seen interviews from years back where he gives a plug to the Dr. that did it for him back in the Philippines. That said, no idea if he has had another correction done since then.

Efren is almost the exact same age as me. I think I am 6 months older than him. :p

I have always had 20/20 until I hit the 50 mark, and now I need glasses for computer and reading. I can still see at a distance okay without glasses. I also have permanent floaters in my eyes. Eventually, I'd like to get that surgery, but I'm skeered.

That said, people who have had laser surgery claim that they can see crystal clear, much better than before. This has to be an advantage in playing pool to have excellent eyesight.

Earl is 53 now. I wonder how his vision is today, with or without glasses.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
AWESOME!

On a 10'er, I suspect Earl will be a pretty good favorite. I hadn't watched Efren lately, so this will be a treat.

Hats off to everyone involved in pulling this one off!

got to see that 10' table yesterday, even hit a couple balls with the legendary long cue. :)

the skinny pockets (4") were made even more difficult, I was told, by their using some hard material in the pocket facings so as to *encourage* imperfectly hit balls to rattle out. :eek:

as if 4" pockets with standard facings on a 10 footer aren't difficult enough.

my bud, Russian paul and I played for a little while on a shimmed 9 footer with 4" pockets and I began feeling so bad about my game, I moved to a table with 4.5 inchers. :eek:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My money would be on Efren. The man has class and is known as the "Magician" for a reason.

It will be good to watch no matter who wins.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JUST IN……Breaking News

Coming January 14-16, 2014
Earl Strickland vs Efren Reyes
a Challenge Match at Steinway Billiards

SteinwayPoster.png

Who will WIN?

I really, REALLY, hope this is recorded in HIGH DEFINITION, since this is going to be a matchup for the history books.:thumbup:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if Earl can enjoy a home-court advantage with the equipment. Then again, Efren adjusts to any equipment, always has.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl & efren

On a 5 x 10 Earl will win. He is one of the best shot makers the game has ever seen.

Goldcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going with Earl taking 2 out of 3.
Probably all tight races and probably Efren taking the 8 ball.
But anything can happen with these 2 great champions.
I expect to be able to learn a lot by watching.
Nice job getting this one put together.
Can't wait.

BelleBelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In their prime Efren all day long!! The game has not seen a player with the skills and dignity that Efren has. I believe Earl will be the favorite in this current match up. Does Efren ever play on a 10 footer? I know Earl prefers that size and has the opportunity to practice on one. Also I believe there's a big difference between early 50's and 60. It's not like 30-40. The older you get a few years make more of a difference. I love watching both players play and cannot wait for this match

Slingshot 14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never seen Efren play and always wanted to, seen Earl a few times and is one of my favorite players. May have to make a trip to see this one.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren definitely has a really good chance to win all 3 sets.

Remember, not long ago he played Shane in an all around. He jumped out to a big lead in the 10ball, and only lost the 8ball by 4 games. The deciding factor I think was the length of the races. Efren no longer has the stamina for them.

But in these races to 15 against Earl, I don't think Efren will have any issues with staying focused.

LightsOut

Jason
Silver Member
In regards to the 10' table at Steinway , in the past few times I played in it (once practicing 14.1 with Earl watching) I didn't think it had small pockets - 4.5" at that time. Has it since been shimmed?

The table that Earl best Shane on in the TAR race was different: converted table with weird pocket openings, the 10' at Steinway is an awesome Gold Crown I with good pockets. Although Earl did mention something to me during my brief visit to that room that he prefers 760 on the rails and 860 in the bed. He also said the slate should be heated...like the nicest table I've ever played on, a 10' heated Hermelin pool table at Best Billiards in Vegas.

One final thing - I asked Earl about Efren Reyes during our conversation and he said that Efren has, hands down, THE best instincts at the pool table of anyone he has ever played or seen played. Like a 'forward vision' thing...

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren is almost the exact same age as me. I think I am 6 months older than him. :p

I have always had 20/20 until I hit the 50 mark, and now I need glasses for computer and reading. I can still see at a distance okay without glasses. I also have permanent floaters in my eyes. Eventually, I'd like to get that surgery, but I'm skeered.

That said, people who have had laser surgery claim that they can see crystal clear, much better than before. This has to be an advantage in playing pool to have excellent eyesight.

Earl is 53 now. I wonder how his vision is today, with or without glasses.
Earl was born 8 June 1961. I share the same birth month and day, but will be 61 next birthday. I pick Earl in this match.