Your 1st Cue, 30 Years Later

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I received my first cue, well actually it was just the butt, when I was about 14-15, a Viking. This was about 90-91 and eventually I was able to ID the cue as a 1979 model or may of been 80. It was given to me by a bar owner that my mom was dating, whose cooler I helped stock. I helped myself for my stock too, out the back door, but he knew and laughed it off. He also let me shoot free pool all summer with an house cue, we didn’t have much extra money at the time. Anyway, the butt was tucked away behind the bar in a corner w a couple random shafts that didn’t fit, they had different joints. Luckily, Viking was in Madison just about 20-30 minutes from my house and I convinced my parents to take me there to find out about a shaft. I wanted a 10mm shaft made and learned the joint was called a super-joint. The sales person at Viking, who I have no memory of convinced me to get a 11mm because anything less would not be covered under warranty. I think it was around $70 and I had to come back a couple weeks later to pick it up. The thing I remember most about the Viking shop was the massive pool table (Gordie's daughter just confirmed it was actually 12*6, seemed bigger back than) in the showroom and large pool balls on posts for advertisement out front. I played with that cue for probably about five years before buying a Pechauer off a guy when I was helping out at an underage pool hall and put the Viking in a soft case behind the counter in a corner, it’s new resting place. Years later probably about twenty I always wondered what happened to that cue, well I got it back. Yes over 20 years later….. To be cont.

If you still have your first cue from 30 plus years ago, is there a story behind it And how often do you get it out for old times sake?

Last edited:

shooter_Hans

My first was a custom from an unknown maker but the shafts were fantastic. Till this day I believe it is the best shooting cue I've ever owned. It was a plain Jane and a reason why I am a huge fan of them with exotic woods and some nice ring work.

I went big from the beginning. LOL

It was $500 in 2003 for that plain Jane custom cue of mine. It had ivory ferrules and I didn't know anything about ivory at the time.

Sadly that cue was stolen and cue maker is retired.

Last edited:

WobblyStroke

My first cue was gifted to me when we moved to a condo with a pool table. It later became my sister's first cue. But my first real cue I bought for myself still gets some play now and then. I played around with an Earlesque fat wrap on the butt (13 overgrips) and didn't want to mess with any of my other cues so the good ole Viking got the fat wrap. I even gamed it for a bit. Hurt my hand last month and had to play with it again for a few weeks rather than not play at all. Unfortunately I got used to smaller diameter shafts and had the 13mm brought down to 12.2 so it's lost its weathered look to it and just looks like a new plane jane with a gawdy fat wrap now. Still my baby tho.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first cue was aluminum with a plastic “wrap” and a screw-on tip. The but I sold it to passed away last year. Last I heard, he still owned and played with it.

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first cue was a K-Mart 2 piece Dufferin with a brass joint. It hit like crap, but that's what I started with. My first "real" cue was a mid 1980's Meucci Original that was a high school graduation present from my parents:

tJORkbl.jpg

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I looked on Wikipedia and it said Meucci cues was started in 1975, I am positive I bought an all black one, either in summer 1968 before the Army , or in 72 but right after, it was not 1975. I had gone to California and was playing with a Tad with the most beautiful birdseyes in it I have ever seen. It was a masterpiece by the supreme maker.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe Bob Meucci worked at WICO Corp in Chicago in 1968. I believe he created what are known as WICO points.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I looked on Wikipedia and it said Meucci cues was started in 1975, I am positive I bought an all black one, either in summer 1968 before the Army , or in 72 but right after, it was not 1975. I had gone to California and was playing with a Tad with the most beautiful birdseyes in it I have ever seen. It was a masterpiece by the supreme maker.
Is it possible it was an early McDermott. Jim starting making cues after doing repairs for Viking in the early 70’s. I believe he started making cues in his garage around 72.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I'm positive it was a Meucci, it was all black and had the name on the butt
It was a great cue, I bought or traded for 5 more over the next 20 years, all of those had a reverberation in them , The last one I realized I was jumping up on every shot anticipating the boing and I never used them again.

It was either 68, or after May of 72. I was sure it was 68. Mandela Effect I guess. I paid 120 dollars for that cue . Which was a lot of money back then for a cue.

I rethought this and I don't think the cue had the Meucci name on it anywhere , I bought it from a guy at the pool room because he didn't like the hit and tip size and I thought it was great . I remember now it came up missing while I was in the Army.
I think the guy I bought it from showed me a receipt for it , and said it was a Meucci, which meant zero to me ,I didn't care if a feral monkey boy made it , i liked the hit.
And now I am positive it was 1968.

Last edited:

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st good cue .. around 1982 bought a brand new Schon R2, rosewood I believe. Played almost 30 years of leagues with it including PBR and I believe Miller’s plus locals. Had it refinished by Proficient years ago and laid to rest in it’s plush O’Neil case. RIP

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, I'm positive it was a Meucci, it was all black and had the name on the butt
It was a great cue, I bought or traded for 5 more over the next 20 years, all of those had a reverberation in them , The last one I realized I was jumping up on every shot anticipating the boing and I never used them again.

It was either 68, or after May of 72. I was sure it was 68. Mandela Effect I guess. I paid 120 dollars for that cue . Which was a lot of money back then for a cue.
According to a prior AZ post Bob was building cues under the name BMC in the 60’s.

Prison break

2 9 7 8 a
the best house cue in the place.
used it everyday.
one day I finished up and put it back in the cue box as usual, never saw it again.
(jpeg for example only)
HFA 1966.jpg