1960's Meucci Gambler?

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
No markings on the cue at all?

It has the Original Meucci marking on the very bottom black butt cap. Kind of hard to see but it is there. For what its worth.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
In the family since 1963?

One slight problem is that Meucci Cues was not established until 1975. Bob did make some cues in the late 1960s, but they were labeled "Bob Meucci Cues" or "BMC". This could be a neat old Meucci, but certainly not from 1963 and certainly not worth $5000.

I believe Joe Callaluca restored a similar cue a couple of years ago, but it had a Titlist forearm.

Joe

From the 3rd Edition of the Blue Book of Pool Cues:

Maker of pool cues from 1975 to 1998 in Olive Branch, Mississippi, and from 1998 to present in Sledge, Mississippi.
By the mid-1960s, Bob was making a few cues and experimenting with new types of construction. He founded B.M.C. to make cues in Glenview around this time. In 1968, he took over management of the cue department at National Chalk Co. One year later, National Chalk moved to Georgia and Bob chose to stay in Chicago. During this time, Bob helped to set up other cuemaking operations such as WICO, the company that made the first blanks for Gus Szamboti. He quickly gained recognition as a talented and creative cuemaker. In the early seventies, Bob was making cues in Memphis, Tennessee.
On March 24, 1975, Bob founded Meucci Originals in Olive Branch, Mississippi, in a newly designed cuemaking facility. The company has grown to become one of the most successful and recognized names in the cuemaking industry.

Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
The guy has a very nice cue there for sure. Not worth any 5 G's by any means, But nice all the same. But what a fu*kin liar. there went his credibility.

nwtflogan

START EM YOUNG!!!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
its legit, i have had a couple of these over the years, the meucci original on the lower part of the butt is neat in these old cues, todays market 5-700 tops, imo

Zud

Old Dog Trying to Learn
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Reminds me of this one

There was a Meucci Gambler with porcelain inlays here a bit ago. This reminds me of it a little, asking price was only $1500 and it would be a bit more rare imho.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=145850&highlight=meucci+gambler

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

toomanybugs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This is no old meucci gambler

1). I used to know a player that had a late 70's to early 80's Gambler and They never had dice in the but till the late 80's to early 90's. :wink:

2). This is my best guess as what the first ones looked like....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Meucci-Originals_MO-10_01.jpg
    Meucci-Originals_MO-10_01.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,171
  • meucci_Titlist_04.jpg
    meucci_Titlist_04.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,450
Last edited:

BobbyC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Meucci

Yeah its priceless alright...:rolleyes:

Ken
Hey Ken this cue started on craigslist here in Sarasota florida for 200 OBO. I replied to the add 3 times, she didnt return my calls, Left a message I told her I would give her the 200, she relisted it 1 week later for 500 firm someone at the local pool hall called Livingstons told them the cue was made in the 60s an was worth thousands,I made the comment to the guy who apperntly thinks its worth 5000 I thought it was kinda funny that this 1960s model was made befor Bob founded the Meucci cue co in 1975 .Now Bob more than likley made some cues befor then but the early ones that I have seen all look like old school cues without chain link stitch collars an such, It just looks like a early production cue to me, an they have no letter of authenticity of the time frame in which they say it was made.:eek:
Bob

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Hey Ken this cue started on craigslist here in Sarasota florida for 200 OBO. I replied to the add 3 times, she didnt return my calls, Left a message I told her I would give her the 200, she relisted it 1 week later for 500 firm someone at the local pool hall called Livingstons told them the cue was made in the 60s an was worth thousands,I made the comment to the guy who apperntly thinks its worth 5000 I thought it was kinda funny that this 1960s model was made befor Bob founded the Meucci cue co in 1975 .Now Bob more than likley made some cues befor then but the early ones that I have seen all look like old school cues without chain link stitch collars an such, It just looks like a early production cue to me, an they have no letter of authenticity of the time frame in which they say it was made.:eek:
Bob

Bob -

That happens here on AZ too. Some nitwit will say the cue is worth this or that, and they really dont have a clue, and moreover they pass this bad information as if they are "experts". Then these poor souls go out and try to sell it for that amount.

So my brothers here.....if you are asked what a cue is worth, unless you are willing to buy it for your quoted amount, keep your mouth shut. UNLESS YOU TRUELY ARE AN EXPERT, AND NOT JUST A CUE SELLING RAILBIRD....KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.
:mad:
This cue will never sell for $5K and if it sells for less the owner will always think he is being taken advantage of.

JMO

Ken

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
261   0   0
This was a big mistake and a waste of time. I would like to see this persons face when they talk to Bob.........:eek:

note: (09/12/09) i just had this que appraised. i was told this cue was hand made by Bob Meucci, one of the first ones he made. i will be taking it off for sale, until i can contact Bob myself, as i was told it was "priceless." thank you for your attentin to this matter, as i would not have made this dicovery if not for the information that you and others have provided.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
This was a big mistake and a waste of time. I would like to see this persons face when they talk to Bob.........:eek:

Bob is going to tell them that this is an early Meucci cue and worth a fortune....although it isn't. I believe it as worth around $600-1k, certainly not worth $5k.

Joe

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
note: (09/12/09) i just had this que appraised. i was told this cue was hand made by Bob Meucci, one of the first ones he made. i will be taking it off for sale, until i can contact Bob myself, as i was told it was "priceless." thank you for your attentin to this matter, as i would not have made this dicovery if not for the information that you and others have provided.
I think that was just a crack-pot ploy to get someone to hit But-it-now.If they really thought it was that valuable they would have just pulled their listing.I think they know its not worth that much just trying to find a sucker!!

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I would almost take bets that they revise the listing and say bob said its from the
60's They told a whopper once,why not try it again

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
I would almost take bets that they revise the listing and say bob said its from the
60's They told a whopper once,why not try it again

That is quite probable. They did say that it was one of Bob's early, hand made cues. We all know that is impossible, since his very early cues did not have the Meucci Originals logo, etc. He had not even come up with that name during that period, and he certainly would not have engraved that logo on it.

If it is one of his very early cues from the 60's, then it has been altered, causing the value to be much lower......:eek:

Joe