Zero x system

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I believe the story you've posted. I'd still like to help him out.

It's unfair that he not get paid if the systems in the videos are his and were presented without his consent. I'll just write off the money I paid Tor as help covering production costs. The videos were pretty cheap.

If Mr. Reid is still selling his DVDs I'd like to buy a set from him as well, but I definitely want to make sure the money is going to him and not someone who hijacked his web site.

You are a good man, ScottK! :)

Jimmy is still selling his DVDs. Call him later today when time allows, and he can direct you how to proceed.

After speaking with him this morning, I know Jimmy would love to hear from the pool community -- today especially. My heart breaks for him. He could use a booster shot of good cheer, and you, ScottK, could be just what the doctor ordered. That's worth more than all the money in the world, I think. :yes:

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't looked into this system, but does it suggest when playing on a table for the first time taking a shot from a corner pocket diagonally towards the second diamond and attempting to make the cue ball go 3 rails and back into the other corner pocket on your end of the table? And keep adjusting in front or behind the diamond until you make the shot to have a reference point as to if the table rolls long or short according to the kicking system?

If so, this is totally a knock off from Jimmy's sytem.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't looked into this system, but does it suggest when playing on a table for the first time taking a shot from a corner pocket diagonally towards the second diamond and attempting to make the cue ball go 3 rails and back into the other corner pocket on your end of the table? And keep adjusting in front or behind the diamond until you make the shot to have a reference point as to if the table rolls long or short according to the kicking system?

Tor doesn't talk about a table playing long or short at all. He does briefly mention that every table will play differently and you'll have to adjust, but he gives no specific instruction on how to do so.

As long as we're talking about the content of the videos, I'll mention that overall I think they are good videos.

There are a few times he misspeaks which I believe could cause problems for a beginner. There are also a few times he gives what I'd consider outright bad advice, though I think this was mostly limited to the "Pool Secrets" video and not so much the Kicking and Banking videos. The problem is the Pool Secrets video is geared more towards a newer player and those are the last players who should be receiving poor advice.

Lastly, while I haven't watched them a second time to double check, I'm fairly certain throughout both videos the tip contact point for a full tip of english is incorrectly diagrammed. The 1/2 and 1/4 tip images may have been as well, but I don't recall. I'll try to remember to double check if anyone cares.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you have some time, call Jimmy, Dave. I know he would love to hear from you, as you and he did share some fun times in Tennessee, if memory serves me right. :)

You won't believe what he has to say about what happened to his diamond system videos and DVDs. :eek:

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PRACTICE: systematic training by multiple repetitions; "practice makes perfect"

An amateur shoots a shot until they make it......a professional shoots a shot until they can't miss

BTW, practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Practicing perfection makes perfect. :)

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No he didn't say nothing like this.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No he didn't say nothing like this.

His system likely won't work consistently if he's using something like Jimmy's then. Any type of number system for kicking will be different for different tables.

Since all table/rails play different, a standard number system won't just work for every table. One must find a way to figure out how long or short a table rolls and then offset all the numbers accordingly. The easiest way to do this is figure out how far "off" the table runs, then set your "zero" reference point to do all your counting.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have some time, call Jimmy, Dave. I know he would love to hear from you, as you and he did share some fun times in Tennessee, if memory serves me right. :)

You won't believe what he has to say about what happened to his diamond system videos and DVDs. :eek:

I'll try to make some time this week. That was many moons ago I saw Jimmy last. I think at the time, I had his videos on VHS and not DVD! :eek:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I guess I won't try to get the Zero X System again.

But, I will pray for Mr. Reid.

Last edited:

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just spent 45 minutes talking with Jimmy on the phone.

What an enjoyable person he is! Halfway through our conversation I asked him about Tacoma Whitey and he went on to tell some great stories about him, his wacky stroke, and how good he was. Priceless stuff! :)

The first half of our conversation was him relating the story of his dealings with X. What an absolute scumbag X is. A mediocre "B" player offering to help an ailing pro, then stealing all his information and passing it off as his own. He apparently thought Jimmy had one foot in the grave and figured he could take all his info and take over his online sales, and then presumably with Jimmy passed on shortly no one would say otherwise. Well, Jimmy beat that prediction, and the truth is out! I hope the pool community spreads the word on this, it just isn't right what X has done.

Anyone interested in learning the real deal on kicking and banking systems should contact Jimmy and pick up the Almost All I Know series of dvds. They are fantastic!

JAM thank you for posting about this earlier, it was a really neat conversation I won't forget. I'm glad I called him...I was thinking I would just say how much I enjoyed his dvd's before he would probably hang up on me saying "Who the hell is this guy?!" but that wasn't how it went at all. :)

Jimmy if you get a chance to read this: Thanks for everything you have done for the pool community and it was nice talking to you. Again, god bless and keep on keepin' on. :)

Last edited:

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

... or it's a knockoff of about two dozen other systems. Sizing up a table based on the three rail corner shot is probably older than Jimmy himself.

We only have one side of the story here. Hopefully Tor will come on and give us his side.

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
We only have one side of the story here. Hopefully Tor will come on and give us his side.

While it's true that diamond systems are as old as carbon itself, Jimmy went out of his way to make them available to the masses by presenting them in a new format. Though itself a newer and more polished presentation, Tor's Zero-X system immediately reminded me of Jimmy's 100-diamond system. I also recall Jimmy having problems with an unscrupulous webmaster a couple years ago; most of Jimmy's instructional materials were hung out in the open for anyone to download without subscription. Now the story "turns the corner"...

Tor has taken advantage of Jimmy's knowledge, his experience, his audience, and his reputation. And it's creepy how Tor's found the motivation to do this while Jimmy is fighting the latter stages of serious battle with cancer.

I really don't need to hear his side of the story.

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the Zero X kicking video last night and right away I knew it was a knockoff of Jimmy Reid's system because I also have Jimmy's DVD's that I bought from him a few years ago. Jimmy's videos are great but I had great difficulty following him on the kicking system due to my being hearing impaired. Most instructional videos of any kind are not captioned for the hearing impaired due to the cost associated with providing captions. The production quality of the Zero X video is a bit better which made it easier for me to understand. However, I don't like giving money to a thief if indeed what is being reported is true.

JAM - As much as I would like to talk to Jimmy, a phone conversation would be difficult for both of us. Please tell him I (and many other players) are thinking of him and hope he gets well. I was trying to track him down a few years ago when he was living in FL so I could see him myself but was unable to do so.

Regards,

Randy

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... or it's a knockoff of about two dozen other systems. Sizing up a table based on the three rail corner shot is probably older than Jimmy himself.

When you work side by side with someone that put the effort into putting the age old systems into video format, then come out with your own dvds, its pretty hard to claim innocence or at the very least there isn't a conflict of interest.

What more of an explanation would you expect than "I took what Jimmy taught me and added my own nuances to it?"

Unfortunately this is what non compete contracts are for, which was likely not in place.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow the direction of this thread caught me totally surprised. I have the kicking and banking videos and enjoyed them.

I have no idea if any of this is true or not. If it is, then sounds like a lawsuit to me. If it is not, I would say a lawsuit for slander in the other direction is not out of the question. I noticed that one post was edited, but the original allegations show in a quoted response. Pretty serious stuff.

Again, I have no dog in the hunt. Hope the truth comes out no matter the outcome.

Very sorry to hear of the health problems of Mr. Reid. I do not know him at all, but respect his playing and reaching abilities. God bless.

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow the direction of this thread caught me totally surprised. I have the kicking and banking videos and enjoyed them.

I have no idea if any of this is true or not. If it is, then sounds like a lawsuit to me. If it is not, I would say a lawsuit for slander in the other direction is not out of the question. I noticed that one post was edited, but the original allegations show in a quoted response. Pretty serious stuff.

Again, I have no dog in the hunt. Hope the truth comes out no matter the outcome.

Very sorry to hear of the health problems of Mr. Reid. I do not know him at all, but respect his playing and reaching abilities. God bless.

I agree that this also caught me completely by surprise. I have never seen any of Jimmy Reid's DVD's so when I saw Tor's I was amazed at the knowledge that was presented in the videos.

I hope Tor didn't rip Jimmy off because after talking to Tor, although only by e-mail, he certainly seems like a nice person and one that I consider a friend. So, for me, everyone makes mistakes and if Tor made one I can only hope he will somehow make it right with Jimmy as I still think Tor is a good person.

Rhale100

DILLIGAF ?
Silver Member
I own both Jimmy's DVD and Tor's video. I don't believe there is any proprietary information contained in either. These systems have been around long before either published their versions. That being said, if it's true, what Tor did was underhanded at best. I hope Jimmy can find some kind of resolution and solve his cash flow issues. Best of luck Jimmy.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's pretty much irrelevant unless Tor wanted to do the right thing by Jimmy, presuming that he did take the information. Jimmy is sick and a lawsuit takes a very long time to get through. That also presupposes that Jimmy has proof it was stolen.