Update on the Des Moines pool scene

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Oh, be positive like mike? Thanks mike, I didn't know how it worked. You even know what i'm thinking? You don't know shit about me and because it's a forum i'll add my two cents whenever and however i choose. Little on the defensive end are ya?

Welcome to the forum Gary. I know exactly the same amount about you as you do me which is somewhere between everything and nothing. I wasnt trying to be defensive, it reads that way, all I'm saying is a post like you made just throws more logs on a fire. I dont give a damn about opinions you can like em or hate, I wont change up anything I do if you don't like it then you dont like it. I'm not a mind reader got no clue what you are thinkin.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Sloooowwww Dowwwwn Dawg.

Gdog was pool before pool in iowa was cool and Gdog is cool in the pool.

Get to know gdog to understand where he's coming from before attempting to guide gdog in his proper lane. Gdog just wants everyone to get along, hold hands, and sing kumbaya. which there isn't anything wrong with that! :canoodle:

That's fine. In other breaking news. Jason is up 6 games on John M. The word I got is they are still playin for $500 and John is going to 7 ahead, while Jason is going to 10 ahead. No ball spot though.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I think Gary is actually a pretty good judge on the playing ability of people. I agree with him that we have no pros in the making. It's not that some of us don't have the drive to improve. It's that we are missing that upper level of skill in town(with exception of Don). Without that level of player, it is very difficult to improve past a certian point.

To get better you need to play with people better than you, so if anyone in town wants to become a pro, move away and good luck.

You go ask Mike Davis if anyone ever told him he played good enough to be a pro. He grew up in the shadow of some really good players even in his early 20s no one thought he was the best player in Fayetteville, hell he's still about never beat Keith B. heads up gambling or anything like that. He just took the chance and put in the work and made it when people told him he couldnt do it. Said his mechanics were bad. Said he couldnt play under pressure. I was in the belly of this stuff, people still think he just gets lucky and gets good draws in tournaments to get there. Mike Fuller plays in the APA for goodness sakes right! Check his US Open record. He's amateur by choice and he by all accounts peaked later in life. All I'm saying is no one has any idea, when the game clicks for you and you find it sky's the limit.

Not everyone just picks up a stick and can play. Not every guy goes the same route before they make it to a place where people think of them as a professional. Just because someone tells you that you can't do something shouldnt prevent you from trying your hardest to get there. If I stopped everytime someone told me I didnt have the potential or couldnt possibly still do something I wouldnt have gotten anywhere. The things that were important to me I went after them and made them happen. I dont know who in that pool room really wants to be a pro, but if they really want it they should fight to get there or die trying. Even Jordan got cut right?

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Really? First set? How long they been at it? Packs of games or just one or two at a time?

I was asleep and woke up to a bunch of messages. I hear they are both playing decently. Only minor drama they have had is John doesnt like the way Jason is racking the balls, said hes leaving the wing ball loose so he can make it every time. Other than that they are just chopping wood.

Current score is Jason up 7 games again. John is a little grumpy from what I hear.

gdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of the current "Big Dog" players there's only ONE guy who has a shot at being a "pro". Jimmy

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
IT WAS NOT the wing ball, it was the second ball not touching and it was the SPOT on the table causing it to not touch the nine. Dont know if that makes me not make a ball or not. I broke dry 6 or so times. John ran out 4 of those racks. Two when i was on 8 and once on 9 :(

Its nice Alisa was texting all that to you though :) Thanks for posting it here for the these guys. From now on she will not be allowed to text while sitting next to me and asking me over and over the score, lol. It was hard to concentrate.

I told John next time he can have the 8 on a diamond or the 7 on a valley. He said he'll take the spot but thinks he should be beating me even.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
IT WAS NOT the wing ball, it was the second ball not touching and it was the SPOT on the table causing it to not touch the nine. Dont know if that makes me not make a ball or not. I broke dry 6 or so times. John ran out 4 of those racks. Two when i was on 8 and once on 9 :(

Its nice Alisa was texting all that to you though :) Thanks for posting it here for the these guys. From now on she will not be allowed to text while sitting next to me and asking me over and over the score, lol. It was hard to concentrate.

I told John next time he can have the 8 on a diamond or the 7 on a valley. He said he'll take the spot but thinks he should be beating me even.

Yeah man she literally texted wing ball, i was in shock for her to know what that is. He's young doesnt realize that if you have to play your best to win it's probably too tough to play over and over. God Bless him.

Cheessehead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this weekend

The way I see things, this is a perfect weekend to put everything that has happened in the past behind you and try and bust us "roadies". when I get to the pool hall I expect to see every gambling pool player in des moines holding hands and singing" kumbyya my lord kumbyya". lets just have a weekend full of action.no bad mouthing or trash talking just gamblin.hell if I win I'll even get in there and sing with ya:wink: