Business Any Better

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Idea I have been bouncing around in my head is to give a customer discounted pool ALL the time if I am allowed to put a window advertisement or Bumper sticker. Not just the little ones but something decent sized on their cars. If they have a job like pizzas where they are driving around a lot it might be good advertising. What do you guys think of this idea?

I think it`s a good idea myself, although some guys are picky about their cars.

I thought about advertising for businesses on the sides of the table lights for a couple bucks a month.

highrun55

Last edited:

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Recent article in local newspaper gave us a lot of good exposure. We were lucky to get the free advertising.
RFTcuecushion.jpg

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Mickey

I have 2 more weeks of baseball left in my fall league. Once that is over I will be down to play pool in your room on the weekends. Do you still hold the tournaments or is business so slow that players are not showing up for them.
Either way I will be down to play.

Thanks

Kevin

highrun55

Silver Member
Mickey

I have 2 more weeks of baseball left in my fall league. Once that is over I will be down to play pool in your room on the weekends. Do you still hold the tournaments or is business so slow that players are not showing up for them.
Either way I will be down to play.

Thanks

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,
Tournaments every 3rd Saturday Monthly,
Stop In

highrun55

The Pool Hall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1/2 Price pool on wed is going very WELL for us. Food sales are strong right now, wings are flying out the door. How is everyone doing now?

highrun55

Silver Member
1/2 Price pool on wed is going very WELL for us. Food sales are strong right now, wings are flying out the door. How is everyone doing now?

Im doing a little better now that its getting colder in the n. east.
But no where near where it should by by now. Thanksgiving week should be the breaker we always looked for.
Im still pluggin along and waiting.

highrun55

highrun55

Silver Member
how was your thanksgiving weekend? down or up from last year?

About the same as last year really.

Saturday was great, Sunday was a bust, Open turkey day 12 to 6 pm and did enough to make it worth being there

highrun55

luckyninja

Registered
I feel like we are in for a ride for the next 2 or 3 years. the economy seems to be shaping up but we wont see it on our level for another 2-3 years. When everyone was talking recession last year and even before that was my best year I have had. now we are sinking again just when everyone is talking about getting back up.

luckyninja

Registered
its dead

its december and its cold. and less than half my tables are going at 10:30. in 14 years of business i have not seen anything like this. i wonder if its the economy?

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a small room in my town with just 8 tables. I drove by it a 8:45 on Sat night. There was no one there. Just the counter man.

Tom4change

Registered
Here's a few more ideas

In the your area you have tons of opportunity --there are alot of teens and not alot for them to do as far as hobbies-- if your still where I think you are it's tough location -- now this is years ago but I remember there being very little signage outside -- hopefully thats changed because I used to think how could anybody find this place unless you you fell on top of it --

--#1 you have some of the largest school districts around Great Valley (I went there) , Downingtown etc-- find a way market to those kids (ex bring two friends(full price) in and you'll shoot half off Monday thru Thursday after 6.

--When you see kids in your room ask them "what would it take for them to bring their friends in?"--most times just having the conversation will show you care and they will remember that you want them to stop by and play a few games.

-- walk around Exton mall(or get your teen patrons to do it for you) start conversations with teens finding out what they do in their free time hand out business cards with 10 or 20% off total bill when you bring on 4 friends

--figure out a way to do a cross promotion with Frazer lanes-- if they don't have tables-- may a flyer that gives their people a 2nd hour half off if they play for 2 hours and your people a free game of bowling if they play three -- the two business are complementary --Golf shops are good too

--what is and add on sale for your customers --do you sell food or cues etc -- find ways to increase the amount of money people spend without raising prices -- when they get a table remind them you have food when they are ready--gently remind good players that use house equipment the benefits of purchase their own cue (consistency in game) give them 15% because they play in their often

--if your do sell equipment give play the 3rd hour free coupons with purchase (add value to the sale)

--if you don't sell equipment then find somewhere that does Barstools and Billiards on RT 3 WC for example and set up a cross sell program with them. they feature you as the room of choice and you pass along people interested in purchasing.

I got many more ideas -- email me at tom4change@gmail.com(that goes for all room owners on here)

Last edited:

highrun55

Silver Member
slowly getting better

In the your area you have tons of opportunity --there are alot of teens and not alot for them to do as far as hobbies-- if your still where I think you are it's tough location -- now this is years ago but I remember there being very little signage outside -- hopefully thats changed because I used to think how could anybody find this place unless you you fell on top of it --

--#1 you have some of the largest school districts around Great Valley (I went there) , Downingtown etc-- find a way market to those kids (ex bring two friends(full price) in and you'll shoot half off Monday thru Thursday after 6.

--When you see kids in your room ask them "what would it take for them to bring their friends in?"--most times just having the conversation will show you care and they will remember that you want them to stop by and play a few games.

-- walk around Exton mall(or get your teen patrons to do it for you) start conversations with teens finding out what they do in their free time hand out business cards with 10 or 20% off total bill when you bring on 4 friends

--figure out a way to do a cross promotion with Frazer lanes-- if they don't have tables-- may a flyer that gives their people a 2nd hour half off if they play for 2 hours and your people a free game of bowling if they play three -- the two business are complementary --Golf shops are good too

--what is and add on sale for your customers --do you sell food or cues etc -- find ways to increase the amount of money people spend without raising prices -- when they get a table remind them you have food when they are ready--gently remind good players that use house equipment the benefits of purchase their own cue (consistency in game) give them 15% because they play in their often

--if your do sell equipment give play the 3rd hour free coupons with purchase (add value to the sale)

--if you don't sell equipment then find somewhere that does Barstools and Billiards on RT 3 WC for example and set up a cross sell program with them. they feature you as the room of choice and you pass along people interested in purchasing.

I got many more ideas -- email me at tom4change@gmail.com(that goes for all room owners on here)

Great Ideas,
the kids never come around they just seem to want to play video games, drink, or get high around here, its a damn shame. im in a big drug area here in chester county Pa.

highrun55

luckyninja

Registered
i wonder

last year for me was the busiest i ever had. now this year im hurting and i wonder if its the economy or maybe this nightclub next door that attracts alot of gangbangers and drug pushers.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
It was sad when I went to my local hall on Saturday at 2pm and it was still closed. Sign still said noon. I mean wow this was a Saturday. 9-ball tourney day. Not sure what happened but it doesn't help matters when they don't even open on posted time. When I've been in there have been plenty of people in there and on Saturday nights they do black light rock pool which is an attraction for the college crowd. The table rails are lined with neon and special balls and they crank the jukebox. Not real pool but it does give them some business.

Drive the extra ten minutes to Petaluma and play at Universe Billiards instead. 35 a month for members, ALL of the local real players now play there, the owner actually cares about pool, 10 foot snooker table, tourney on saturday.

The owner of Buffalo is a complete toolbox who care zilch about pool, has offended most of the local players, let the equipment turn to crap, and basically ruined what used to be a great place, and was still a decent place before he bought it. We're all waiting for his D-bag ass to sell it or go under. Used to have great equipment, you could play billiards with Bob Byrne, tons of college kids coming in and now its a sad empty hall with crappy tables in need of repair, high prices and an owner who needs to leave the industry immediately. Only one of my friends still goes in there and said the new manager would tip himself when someone ordered beers sometimes.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drive the extra ten minutes to Petaluma and play at Universe Billiards instead. 35 a month for members, ALL of the local real players now play there, the owner actually cares about pool, 10 foot snooker table, tourney on saturday.

I was curious about the $35 a month for members. What does that get them?
I have a location scoped out for a small room and I wanted to go members only. I haven't been able to make the numbers work out though.

Bob

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
$35 a month gets you free pool, snooker, or billiards from 12:30 to 7pm and half priced time at night.

I wouldn't recommend that for any owner, though. I told him when he bought the place to charge at least 50, or 70 with a certain number of drink/food coupons or something. Personally I would charge 60, give a buck off beers, and maybe some credit towards food.

Half the guys who pay 35 a month average less than 5 dollars in purchases a month. I am absolutely not joking about this. One clown always carries a couple hundred bucks in case some C player wants to gamble, and yet is too cheap to spend ONE dollar on bottled water and drinks the free water instead. The other guys pay a buck for coffee and drink five cups.

I'd recommend any room owner to reach out to companies and see if you can get them to book company parties at your room. Local owner makes a couple hundred for booking them and supplying food like hot dogs, pizza, etc...most companies have some kind of budget for stuff like that.