Questions about Purchasing a Gold Crown III

Hacker39

Registered
Hello all,

Hoping that I can get some feedback.

Am in the market for a used 9' table. Checked out a Gold Crown III today that seems to be in pretty good condition. The only noticeable flaw was that one of the rails between the side and corner pockets made a thud. This seems to be due to the fact that the panel or piece that attaches to the rail is a touch loose. Other than that the table seems to be in good shape.

I can get the table for $1600. Is this a good price????

Is the top panel looseness correctable?

Another thing that I noticed was that all the other rails seemed to have a dull thud sound. I am not sure if this is normal or not. I normally play in poolrooms, which are much louder and don't hear unless the rails are obviously worn out. The room today was in someone's house and was very quiet. Is it normal for rails to make some sound???

What other things do I need to look for concerning slate and general table conditions?

Would greatly appreciate anyone's help!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hello all,

Am in the market for a used 9' table. Checked out a Gold Crown III today that seems to be in pretty good condition. The only noticeable flaw was that one of the rails between the side and corner pockets made a thud. This seems to be due to the fact that the panel or piece that attachés to the rail is a touch loose. Other than that the table seems to be in good shape.

Another thing that I noticed was that all the other rails seemed to have a dull thud sound. I am not sure if this is normal or not. I normally play in poolrooms, which are much louder and don't hear unless the rails are obviously worn out. The room today was in someone's house and was very quiet. Is it normal for rails to make some sound???

What other things do I need to look for concerning slate and general table conditions?

First of all, find out if they are the original owners, if not..find out where they bought it from...pool hall? That's good price, but if the cushions haven't been replace they're going to need it...just about every GC3 I've ever worked on had to have the cushions because Brunswick had a bad run with cushions on the GC3's. I wouldn't worry about the sound, could be one of several reasons, none of which to worry about...unless it's coming from the use of a lag screw coming up from under the slate going into the bottom of the rail in order to hold it down to the slate:eek:

If the Formica top rails are in good shape, and the rail blinds/leg pedestals look good to the eye...then get it...BUT...hold off on final payment UNTIL the table has been taken apart so you can get a look at the slate and bottom side of the rails...to see if there's any damages or anything out of the ordinary.

Glen

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,

Am in the market for a used 9' table. Checked out a Gold Crown III today that seems to be in pretty good condition. The only noticeable flaw was that one of the rails between the side and corner pockets made a thud. This seems to be due to the fact that the panel or piece that attaches to the rail is a touch loose. Other than that the table seems to be in good shape.

If it were me,I would hold out for a Gold Crown I or II. Even if it meant paying just a little more. Fewer issues to worry about now and in the future. You should be able to pick one up for that price though..hope all goes well.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If it were me,I would hold out for a Gold Crown I or II. Even if it meant paying just a little more. Fewer issues to worry about now and in the future. You should be able to pick one up for that price though..hope all goes well.

What might them issues be?:confused:

DJBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a big fan of the Gold Crown's they are all great tables 1's, 2's and 3's. I agree with Glen only thing to watch out for is the make sure the slate is in good shape and that the cushions are good. There are some differences in the 1's, 2's, and 3's but they are all great tables.

Don