Gear box for a bandsaw

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I came into an extra bandsaw (14" Dayton) that I am considering adding a gear box to use as a metal cutting saw. Anyone ever tried this and have some tips to get it done smoothly? I think a 30:1 reduction for the 1750 fpm will put me in the ballpark.

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
40 years ago or so a friend converted his made-for-wood bandsaw to metal use by adding a jackshaft and two more pulleys. The shaft ran right through the saw and turned on common flanged bearings which bolted to each side of the saw body. I don't remember how he tensioned the second belt.
He did the whole conversion in a few hours with materials lying around except for the pulleys and belts. It worked well for decades.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
40 years ago or so a friend converted his made-for-wood bandsaw to metal use by adding a jackshaft and two more pulleys. The shaft ran right through the saw and turned on common flanged bearings which bolted to each side of the saw body. I don't remember how he tensioned the second belt.
He did the whole conversion in a few hours with materials lying around except for the pulleys and belts. It worked well for decades.

That is what I am talking about. Would love to be able to engineer something along those lines.