Has anyone read rags to rifleman??

Winne2tough

Lion or the Lamb
Silver Member
If so i was wondering in the book, is there a section where buddy hall mentions his top ten opponents. I was told by a few people here locally that a older player Al O'rear was mentioned as one of buddys top opponents. I didnt know if this was true because i havent had time to buy this book yet. Anybody have some answers for me, i would appreciate the help.
Thanks
Jay
Arkie

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not me

If so i was wondering in the book, is there a section where buddy hall mentions his top ten opponents. I was told by a few people here locally that a older player Al O'rear was mentioned as one of buddys top opponents. I didnt know if this was true because i havent had time to buy this book yet. Anybody have some answers for me, i would appreciate the help.
Thanks
Jay
Arkie

Haven't read it, but last time I checked, it was a pretty rare book which cost a pretty penny if you find one........(out of print)

Winne2tough

Lion or the Lamb
Silver Member
pretty penny

yeah it is expensive, wonder why buddy hasnt ever sold digital downloads. probably worried about people pirating his book. I dont blame him. yeah another book that is expensive is the lions and the lambs by thomas fensch. Luckily any library in the usa has a thing called inter library loan. It allows any library to share a book anywhere in the country. You would be suprised how many rare books you can read this way without having to pay for it. The librarian was very suprised when i told her they were loaning me a five hundred + dollar book. No luck finding the rags to rifleman book. No library in the usa has it, so eventually i will have to buy it. Anyway i would like to know if this local player al orear is mentioned in buddy's book. I have been told he was but just thought someone with a good memory could give me some info.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Thanks
Jay
Arkie

First crossed paths with "oop" in some of the joints in the northern burbs of CHI in the sixties and again in the MEM area in the 80's/early 90's.

imo his best game was barbox 8b/9b. Took a top shelf player to beat him.

We had a lot of fun after he, superstroke, fargo and the cookie monster set up residence in the "rack"

Only the strong survived...

Snake Plisken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only recently found/purchased Rags to Rifleman. I am about half-way through it and don't recall any mention of the man you are asking about.

It is the best biographical pool book I have read yet. It wasn't too difficult to track down but it took time to find one in the price range I was willing to spend.

I spent $150 on my copy and received it in excellent condition. Many were going in the $250-$300 range.

If you are willing to spend some coin it is a really good read with collector's value. He mentions players through the book that he has dominated as well as those that have given him a tough time. They are not listed but revealed chronologically in the book through detailed stories.

It seams the 1'st half of the book discusses his exploits when he was regarded as Rags and the second half delves into Buddy making the transition from the name Rags to Rifleman.

Winne2tough

Lion or the Lamb
Silver Member
al orear

I only recently found/purchased Rags to Rifleman. I am about half-way through it and don't recall any mention of the man you are asking about.

It is the best biographical pool book I have read yet. It wasn't too difficult to track down but it took time to find one in the price range I was willing to spend.

I spent $150 on my copy and received it in excellent condition. Many were going in the $250-$300 range.

If you are willing to spend some coin it is a really good read with collector's value. He mentions players through the book that he has dominated as well as those that have given him a tough time. They are not listed but revealed chronologically in the book through detailed stories.

It seams the 1'st half of the book discusses his exploits when he was regarded as Rags and the second half delves into Buddy making the transition from the name Rags to Rifleman.

ok if you would let me know if you read anything about Al. Thanks for the info, im planning on buying a copy soon. Later