How Smart do you have to be to be on Jeopardy? (pool related)

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what...

So they don't play pool and don't know how the stripped and solids are numbered. To someone totally unfamiliar with pool or 8ball, that's a really confusing question.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a hard question for someone not familiar with pool. It would be like asking the average pool player the atomic weight of Argon.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
So what...

So they don't play pool and don't know how the stripped and solids are numbered. To someone totally unfamiliar with pool or 8ball, that's a really confusing question.

The guy who won the show really came up with that answer? "What is Eleven?"

Even if you don't know the numbers on the balls his answer doesn't make any sense.

The 2nd lady was all happy like she got the lucky answer right.

I loved that he explained the entire thing to them all at the end. Like Pool is some crazy foreign game that they never heard of before.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
It's a hard question for someone not familiar with pool. It would be like asking the average pool player the atomic weight of Argon.

How many of your friends growing up had large amounts of Argon in their basements? And they played a game with them?

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member

What is 39.948???

Ha...you knew some idiot would look it up!!!:wink:

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy who won the show really came up with that answer? "What is Eleven?"

Even if you don't know the numbers on the balls his answer doesn't make any sense.

The 2nd lady was all happy like she got the lucky answer right.

I loved that he explained the entire thing to them all at the end. Like Pool is some crazy foreign game that they never heard of before.

But if the jeopardy answer is confusing because the topic itself is confusing, stands to reason a player would just blurt out a confusing answer. Literally, none of them knew wtf they were talking about, therefore they were answering with no logic,,,errr, pool logic.

Anyway, I would bet, given the circumstances of being under the gun to outplay an opponent, with a time limit, with money on the line, and the question being only 1 of a string of questions to be answered in rapid succession, that you could ask that question to a room full of 8ball players and there would be a significant number of wrong answers even though they would all know the right answer.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many of your friends growing up had large amounts of Argon in their basements? And they played a game with them?

The point is a lot of these Jeopardy contestants have that kind of knowledge that most of us don't. Something like pool is not something they (or a lot of people would have knowledge of). My friends (outside of pool friends) and family would not have gotten that question right, they have no clue about it and even consider pool a ridiculous pastime. I remember once telling them that I had just won a tournament and first prize was $1500 and their reaction was slightly amused and slightly disdainful, as if I had won it rolling dice on the street with a bunch of degenerates. Most people are just oblivious when it comes to pool.

terminal_288

@terminal_288
Silver Member
k so given that these 3 people are taking a stab in the dark at the answer the reply of "ODD" or "EVEN" I can see the reasoning the thinking, but then Ryan who is clearly in the lead hits the buzzer for the 2k hit. His very calm and "don't worry I got this one" attitude answers Is "ELEVEN"...
What the hell since when did "ELEVEN" become a range of numbers? also I love how Alex explains it at the end, you just know there is a bunch of people in the audiance going "hmmm that must be some game they play up there in canada hmm hmm hmm"

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
okay, but how many electrons does an atom of argon have??;)

Alex<-------loved chemistry, especially the periodic table.

What is 18???

Damn!!!!...I keep telling my son that kids have it waaaaay to easy these days when it comes to research of subject matter. :)

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess if they were really smart and didn't know the answer then they wouldn't have buzzed in. I could understand the ladies buzzing in because they were down and took a shot but the guy really should have just not answered.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

114 pounds

sorry..got confused...
that was Catherine of ARAGON

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
so apparrently the answer to your question as to how smart you have to be to be on jeopardy is 11 smart CUZ HE DID DONE WIN!!!

I am saying your overqualified to be on Jeopardy, dumb it down and you can make it through the audition.

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some reason while watching that it reminded me of the Netflix commercials with the crazy answers to questions. :thumbup:

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
This is a prime example of how Jeopardy players are losing and pool players are winning.