Great Poolroom

G&M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't post a lot, but I just went to Drexeline Billiards (http://www.drexelinebilliards.com/) in Drexel Hill, PA for the first time and was blown away. I had been meaning to get there for over a year, since meeting Bob Maidhoff, the owner, at Peter Burrows' Maryland Open tournament.

I'm pleased to report that it is a fantastic room in every respect. The tables (Gold Crowns, but they also have two immaculate Chevillotte 3C tables, which were constantly in use) play great in terms of the cloth, the rails, the fairness of the pockets, and lighting. About 20 tables, so no waiting, even when it's busy. The table rates and prices for food and drinks are more than fair. The people working for Bob are helpful and polite. They serve good food. Like every good room, they will help you with tips and other repair work if you need it.

The best part is that the room is crammed with billiards memorabilia. It's like the Mickey Mantle's restaurant of poolrooms, except, in this case, Mickey Mantle is World Champion Jimmy Caras. There are nice photos and articles about Mosconi and other greats, but the focus is on Mr. Caras, and some of the articles, posters, autographed memorabilia, and trophies will take your breath away if you're at all interested in this sort of thing. This was Mr. Caras' favorite poolroom towards the end of his playing life, and he says so in a signed, personal note. You can see it on display.

I was there when the room opened at 9 am on a Sunday, and there were nine cars in the lot because the regulars were waiting to get in. People came in with their spouses, and there were male and female customers, players and non-players, which isn't surprising because the room is kept spotless and no one is treated better or worse b/c they can play a little or just getting started. If you'd like to play better, Bob plays at World Class level and can teach you.

Would recommend finding an excuse to visit Drexeline. I know I'll be back. I'd suggest using gps if you have one b/c it's behind other stores in a shopping center and the entrance is not visible from the street, but it’s a good location in terms of the space, layout, and parking. It’s worth finding.

G&M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to mention that Drexeline has two Diamond bar tables for people who want to practice for Valley Forge or any other bar box tournaments!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting. I'm less than 1 hour from Drexeline. I will find an excuse to get there.

G&M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting. I'm less than 1 hour from Drexeline. I will find an excuse to get there.

My pleasure. You'll enjoy it. You can call ahead if you like ((610) 259-9144) to see if Bob will be there. Maybe he'll be able to line up a game for you, if you need one.