Northern VA Weekly Tourneys

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
So I took several months off from playing much pool, and have just now really gotten back into playing, and I have a touch of tournament fever coming off some moderate success at the Maryland State 9-ball tourney last weekend.

What are my weekly tournament options in the Northern VA area these days? I see on here there's one in Glen Burnie, but that's out of range for me for week nights.

There used to be a Thursday night weekly in Sterling consistently drawing several very good players (Shuff, Chau, McCreesh, etc.). Is that tournament still going on, and does it still have such a high level of competition? If not, where are the good players playing lately? I like playing with the big dogs more than I like cashing, so I'm interested in the best field of competition available.

-Andrew

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thursday @ First Break is still on, though it is now handicapped and I don't go often enough to know if any big dawgs still show.

That's all I got. With all the pool rooms in the area, 'tis sad to say.

onebadscorpio72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I took several months off from playing much pool, and have just now really gotten back into playing, and I have a touch of tournament fever coming off some moderate success at the Maryland State 9-ball tourney last weekend.

What are my weekly tournament options in the Northern VA area these days? I see on here there's one in Glen Burnie, but that's out of range for me for week nights.

There used to be a Thursday night weekly in Sterling consistently drawing several very good players (Shuff, Chau, McCreesh, etc.). Is that tournament still going on, and does it still have such a high level of competition? If not, where are the good players playing lately? I like playing with the big dogs more than I like cashing, so I'm interested in the best field of competition available.

-Andrew

I see Shuff In Richmond Friday nights sometimes in the tournament at Diamond billiards

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I'll plan to check out First Break this Thursday then.

If anyone has more/better info about when/where the good players are to be found in this area, post it up.

-Andrew

manfromoz

Banned
Tourneys

Don't forget about The Action Pool Tour if you are looking for a great weekend event. The next one is this Saturday in Midlothian, VA! Great action always!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MD Weekly

Not VA...but I hear:

Triple Nines Monday Night 8-Ball

Race to 3
Entry $10 100 % return
done by 10

7540 Washington Blvd
Elkridge, MD 21075

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If anyone has more/better info about when/where the good players are to be found in this area, post it up.

-Andrew
I have spoken with the owner of First Break and will be running a nine ball Saturday (one-day) tournament there very soon. I will be posting on the forums as usual. If you would like to be on my email distribution list please PM me.

ugotaction

Shonuff
Silver Member

-Andrew

Thursday tourney took a face first dive since they made it handicap. No real feeling of accomplishment anymore for that tourney plus no more break pot. I told em to keep it open.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thursday tourney took a face first dive since they made it handicap. No real feeling of accomplishment anymore for that tourney plus no more break pot. I told em to keep it open.
I think a lotta the reason for the change is the fact that you are no longer there...You so sweet.
And the event isn't exactly crap now. Great tables, free practice.
In fact, I might even say it is a very good time for mid-level players.

ugotaction

Shonuff
Silver Member
I think a lotta the reason for the change is the fact that you are no longer there...You so sweet.
And the event isn't exactly crap now. Great tables, free practice.
In fact, I might even say it is a very good time for mid-level players.

Compared to what it used to be yes it is exactly. But sure it could be fun for mid level players. You should go check it out Walter, im sure you would get an experience out of it.
How would you feel when your on the rail and noone knows who's getting what spot and there just isn't any high powered play at all. Format is designed for noone to watch and designed to satisfy the weaker players who don't like to possibly be over challenged.
Nice job to whoever agreed to fix what wasn't broken ;-)

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Compared to what it used to be yes it is exactly. But sure it could be fun for mid level players. You should go check it out Walter, im sure you would get an experience out of it.
How would you feel when your on the rail and noone knows who's getting what spot and there just isn't any high powered play at all. Format is designed for noone to watch and designed to satisfy the weaker players who don't like to possibly be over challenged.

I hate to agree with such a negative comment, but I do agree. I didn't see any "weaker" players there before it was handicapped who were complaining about buying in without much chance to cash. All the weaker players seemed to be buying in each week for a chance to compete with a mix of mid-level, A-level, and pro-level players, for a paltry $20. That was always my reason for playing, even though I cashed a few times.

Is there no way of convincing Anthony or whoever's running it these days to switch it back?

-Andrew

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have been to it recently...ends too mufugn late for me and my rating is out of line too.

It was better when you were running it. You should prob move back.

ugotaction

Shonuff
Silver Member
I hate to agree with such a negative comment, but I do agree. I didn't see any "weaker" players there before it was handicapped who were complaining about buying in without much chance to cash. All the weaker players seemed to be buying in each week for a chance to compete with a mix of mid-level, A-level, and pro-level players, for a paltry $20. That was always my reason for playing, even though I cashed a few times.

Is there no way of convincing Anthony or whoever's running it these days to switch it back?

-Andrew

I warned them not to change it but noone listened. Its no biggie.
Yea I wasn't trying to make it sound bad, just stating reality. Ive been keepin my eyes n ears open. Im actually gonna swing by there tonight, see what's poppin, give it another eval.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should come out! I'm gonna swing thru tonight!
Wish you had sent me a txt...so I coul tell you no can do.

You still around?

Imma whip your ass if you are,
got my cues in the car.
0609_lra_05z+og_abel.jpg