Wiring Help

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Hey guys, I am hoping someone can help me. I will be building a simple wrap/cleaning lathe and would like to have a speed control knob but also be able to plug in a foot control when needed. Anyone wired one like this?
Thanks guys

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Prob be like a sewing machine motor. You can get the motor with a foot control all ready to plug up and go but I would also like to have variable constant speed as well.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
sewing machine motor ?

i could be wrong but i dont think a little sewing machine motor will carry the torque required to use for shaft cleaning
this is just a thought and the other guys can correct me i was thinking of a electric tread mill motor you can raise and lower the rpms and it has torque most thrift stores have one laying around.
just a thought.
mike
tread mill motor infor
http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-a-Treadmill-DC-Drive-Motor-and-PWM-Speed-Contr/
i think you can buy one from chris h for a fair price

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
What kind of lathe body are you going to use?
My advice is to have 2 motors, a sewing machine motor for putting on a wrap, and a penn state variable motor for the normal sanding etc. The Penn State is a 1/2 hp motor, which will be needed for sanding jobs. A sewing machine motor has the foot pedal for applying a wrap, with torque, in shorter spurts than if you were to try sanding with it.
I have a wood lathe for sanding, with a penn state motor, and use it for sanding. When I have a wrap to do, I then attach a sewing machine motor to the toolrest holder and disconnect the penn motor so the spindle spins freely. I then attach the belt from the sewing motor and run it across the spindle of the lathe. It works well for me. If I remember, I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post them.

Naked Cues

Wood Hoarder
Silver Member
Hey guys, I am hoping someone can help me. I will be building a simple wrap/cleaning lathe and would like to have a speed control knob but also be able to plug in a foot control when needed. Anyone wired one like this?
Thanks guys

Hey Don,

I'm up in Louisburg...a few miles from you...I've got the small motor that came with my HT lathe and the foot control to go with it if you're interested. I don't plan on using it since I've got an old wood lathe that is being setup for finish work.

Let me know,
Jason.

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Thanks for the help guys. I am not dead set on a sewing motor, I just figured if the 1/5 hp motor on the Taig mill does that well then maybe a 1/6 hp sewing motor would be ok for what I am looking for. I would use the mill motor but Taig does not suggest any kind of variable speed control to be used on that motor even if it is used on the lathe. Said motor wont last long if done.

I figured I could use a on/off/on switch for incoming power and to separate the two (foot/knob) controls. I guess my question would be when the two controls are tied back to the motor and when one is in use, the other would be getting back fed. Is this ok or is there another way to do this?

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i could be wrong but i dont think a little sewing machine motor will carry the torque required to use for shaft cleaning
this is just a thought and the other guys can correct me i was thinking of a electric tread mill motor you can raise and lower the rpms and it has torque most thrift stores have one laying around.
just a thought.
mike
tread mill motor infor
http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-a-Treadmill-DC-Drive-Motor-and-PWM-Speed-Contr/
i think you can buy one from chris h for a fair price

I have a treadmill motor with board that I'm going to use on My new lathe. It had the digital controls, and the board for that was bad, but I hooked a pot up to the motor board, and that board & the motor work fine. Strong motor too. You can hook a toggle up to reverse the motor too. One issue that I do see though is that on restart you have to turn the pot back down and reset the speed each time, but I read something somewhere about using a resistor or capacitor for that.

A buddy of mine cleans out foreclosures, and sometimes picks them up, so I get them for free. He just called me today, and has found another one. I should see tonight if I can salvage the motor and board from that one. There are several other parts that can be salvaged too. Like the mats, I cut them up, and they make good drawer liners for My tool boxes. Cog style belts come on some of them, and just a host of other odds and ends. Can't beat the price, and He even delivers them to Me for free.

On the wrapping motor.... For that I use the little Dayton motors like came with the Hightower lathes. I use a foot pedal when wrapping, but also have a speed controller that I can run it off of as well. It works well for that, but I clean shafts with a different motor. That motor is similar to a sewing machine motor, but seems to handle the load better. I have blown up a standard SM motor before when building a rod lathe for My brother. I replaced that one with a little Dayton, and it worked great for that as well. I have even used them with the speed controller to rotate a cue for epoxy coating. I know it's probably not a good motor for continuous duty like that, but I have not burned it up yet.