Samsara tip on phenolic

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Hey guys, I need some help. I have put some samsara tips on regular ferrules with no problem so far. The problem I am having is putting one on a phenolic ferrule. I glued one on using loctite gel and it popped off after about 5 good breaks. I glued it on like normal, first letting a coat dry on the tip, sanding and then gluing again to the ferrule. Should I be using a different glue? Epoxy? Would a pad maybe hold the glue between the surface better?
Thanks as always for any help.
Donnie

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Hey guys, I need some help. I have put some samsara tips on regular ferrules with no problem so far. The problem I am having is putting one on a phenolic ferrule. I glued one on using loctite gel and it popped off after about 5 good breaks. I glued it on like normal, first letting a coat dry on the tip, sanding and then gluing again to the ferrule. Should I be using a different glue? Epoxy? Would a pad maybe hold the glue between the surface better?
Thanks as always for any help.
Donnie
had same problem first time i used samsara on phenolic w/super glue gel
it lasted about an hour :rolleyes:

using lathe tool, i scored a couple circular grooves into ferrule
drilled a few 1/64th holes in back of the tip
just deep enough to hold some glue
used west system 206 24 hour set epoxy
havent had anymore problems

tritoncues1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put samsara tips on all my break cues..i use phenolic ferr, and loctite gel..and never had an issue..i use a coarse file and score surface of fer. Before gluing...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I put one on my breaker that I made. It has phenolic ferrule and I did as Brent, I put a few circle grooves in it then used loctite gel. I also pre-primed the back of the tip. No problems as of 2 months of use.
Dave

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've put several on with Loctite Gel.....just made sure both faces were perfectly flat, then scores both edges with exacto, and stuck them together with a bit of tailstock pressure for about 5 minutes. After that just turn shape & burnish. None have come off yet.

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I discovered: If the phenolic ferrule is capped, the tip will pop off no matter what scoring, scratching or sanding method you use to prepare the tip and ferrule. Expose the wooden tenon and the tip will stay put.

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
had same problem first time i used samsara on phenolic w/super glue gel
it lasted about an hour :rolleyes:

using lathe tool, i scored a couple circular grooves into ferrule
drilled a few 1/64th holes in back of the tip
just deep enough to hold some glue
used west system 206 24 hour set epoxy
havent had anymore problems

I would say to everyone that BHQ's method is awesome. I use a black phenolic ferrule w/ a samsara on top and I hit em 30 + and never had them pop off

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
I would say to everyone that BHQ's method is awesome. I use a black phenolic ferrule w/ a samsara on top and I hit em 30 + and never had them pop off

come on ryan, youre from canada,
we know that's in kilometers :thumbup:

you had your break cue since november? december?

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
come on ryan, youre from canada,
we know that's in kilometers :thumbup:

you had your break cue since november? december?

The break cue was made in the US so thats in MPH.....it was a Christmas present to myself