question about a shot in 8 ball...

wendyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so i was playing 8 ball tonight and we agreed call shot, no slop, so i call shot 7 in the corner, the cb hits the ob but bounces off into the cushion, then the cue bounces off the rail back into the object ball and then the called object ball into the called pocket. the cue did contact the called object ball 2 times, but no other ball. My opponent says that was slop shot, I am not sure, he said it was a double kiss shot and there fore slop. Hmm... The cue did not contact any other ball other than the called ball and the called ball did go into the called pocket.. what is the rule on this? It was a goofy shot and I just dont know what rule would cover it.
Thanks!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
so i was playing 8 ball tonight and we agreed call shot, no slop, so i call shot 7 in the corner, the cb hits the ob but bounces off into the cushion, then the cue bounces off the rail back into the object ball and then the called object ball into the called pocket. the cue did contact the called object ball 2 times, but no other ball. My opponent says that was slop shot, I am not sure, he said it was a double kiss shot and there fore slop. Hmm... The cue did not contact any other ball other than the called ball and the called ball did go into the called pocket.. what is the rule on this? It was a goofy shot and I just dont know what rule would cover it.
Thanks!

You played call shot. You'd be better off playing call pocket.

The rules about call pocket state that no kisses, etc need calling, just call the pocket and if a legal hit and it goes into the called pocket, it counts.

If your situation ended in a good bar fight, you might be a poolplayer.:thumbup:

Jeff Livingston

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what you are saying is that you slopped a shot in but want to call it good so you can win.This is whats wrong with pool, no integrity.--- Smitty

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not slop. The shot was legal with called ball going into called pocket.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call pocket and call shot are the same no matter what the bar players say, always have been. If the ball went in the pocket you indicated it's good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
Thanks!

Play ball in pocket, not call shot; just like the pros, it eliminates all problems like this.

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
Call shot is "call shot" if you had called that the cue ball would hit the object ball twice before the object ball went it, it would be a legal shot.

But since you are playing call shot, where all things need to be called, such as double hits, kisses, caroms, rails, etc... your friend is right.

Call shot is what I grew up playing in bars, it was my favorite way to play but hardly no one plays it anymore.

It can cause some disagreements if you are playing for money, and you are playing a sore loser or someone who is not honest.

Other than that, call shot is a much more pure game when it comes to eight ball.

Call pocket is what you would have needed to be playing for your shot to be legal.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
rules

So what you are saying is that you slopped a shot in but want to call it good so you can win.This is whats wrong with pool, no integrity.--- Smitty

Unless you sit down and discuss every single rule before playing, you are opening the door to disagreement.

I always carry a copy of the World Standardized Rules in my cue case, and try to play by those rules. Ask your opponent what set of rules they like to use. If they say, "house rules", ask them where those rules can be found...you'll gladly use them if you know what they are. If you're met with a blank stare, suggest the WS Rules, as you have them handy, and it prevents virtually all disagreements on rules.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!

Most "real rules" just count the shot if the ball goes into the intended pocket no matter what happens. You could miss, have the ball bank 3 rails around and go into the pocket you called, and it counts. There are some made-up rules where people say you have to say exactly how the ball goes in, hits off 2 balls, hits a rail,then the fly on the table, etc... That's only in places where people don't know the real rules of how to play.

I have never heard any difference between "called shot" and "called pocket", I play with mostly B players that know the rules and both of those things mean the exact same thing, you call the ball and pocket it's going into, how it gets there is irrelevant.

Last edited: