Aiming Systems - The End Justifies the Means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess so...sorry you can't play

Why? I'm not. I play just fine for my goals. Being the best in the world gets you nothing more than bragging rights. And, just when you think you are the best, you get your butt kicked by someone else.

Sorry you seem to be having so much trouble getting your game back to where it used to be. touche' You seem to have some big misunderstandings on why you played great, and why most don't. The biggest difference is something you were blessed with, not something you did on your own. Maybe some day when you come to that understanding, you won't feel the need to try and belittle those who were not blessed the same way you were. And, just in case you don't understand, that blessing is in the way your brain is wired. Just because you can DO something, doesn't mean that you can also explain or even understand what you are doing. They aren't the same thing. So, don't act like just because you can play very well, that you have all the answers, and anyone that plays not as well doesn't have any of the answers, and can't have any of the answers. You would be very wrong if you assumed that.:wink:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why? I'm not. I play just fine for my goals. Being the best in the world gets you nothing more than bragging rights. And, just when you think you are the best, you get your butt kicked by someone else.

Sorry you seem to be having so much trouble getting your game back to where it used to be. touche' You seem to have some big misunderstandings on why you played great, and why most don't. The biggest difference is something you were blessed with, not something you did on your own. Maybe some day when you come to that understanding, you won't feel the need to try and belittle those who were not blessed the same way you were. And, just in case you don't understand, that blessing is in the way your brain is wired. Just because you can DO something, doesn't mean that you can also explain or even understand what you are doing. They aren't the same thing. So, don't act like just because you can play very well, that you have all the answers, and anyone that plays not as well doesn't have any of the answers, and can't have any of the answers. You would be very wrong if you assumed that.:wink:

sorry you feel that way

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately CJ doesn't know how to play this game. You have to post with a lot of inside spin to win here.

;-)

Now you are just being facetious, John. No one here has said that CJ doesn't know how to play, so why even make that statement? What some have said is that what one thinks is happening, isn't necessarily what is really happening. Two totally different things that you, CJ, and some others seem to want to find offense to. That's on you guys. No one else.

You and some others seem to want to believe that anything a pro tells you has to be gospel because they can play better than you. That is nothing more than a poor assumption on your part. If that were true, then you should be holding your cue sideways like Keith, taking a swoop stroke like Hoppe, with a 1" backstroke like Allen Hopkins, one warmup stroke like Earl with a pump action to that warmup like Busty. Maybe then you will play like them.:confused:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
'The Game is the Teacher'

D-R-A-M-A

*shaking head*

It's not his fault....it's a tough life sometimes:sorry:

409603_10151049853224246_1434333914_n.jpg

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I'm not CJ. I do feel sorry for you though, that all you seem to have in rebuttal is put downs. We were all hoping for more from you. :frown:

Neil is right. This was a great thread but it finally ran off it's rails. :(

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, I'm not CJ. I do feel sorry for you though, that all you seem to have in rebuttal is put downs. We were all hoping for more from you. :frown:

It's not your fault, there's people that still love you :sorry:

582123_10150989073009246_1731162661_n.jpg

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
'The Master Game' is putting the team together 'The Game is the Teacher'

Neil is right. This was a great thread but it finally ran off it's rails. :(

"I hear that train a comin, it's rollin round the bend"

560737_118081241677068_943790655_n.jpg

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Aiming System - The End Justifies the Means

Was just a joke:smile:

It's amazing how well you can play with very little english and I, personally don't adjust for spin, just the point of the pocket I'm connected to, unless I'm hitting the ball super firm or with extreme, almost masse' type english.....you see the game is perfect at some level and to help explain why I believe this, allow me share a real life story with you, a story that instilled 'The Game is the Teacher' in my heart or hearts. This was a week before my first Pro Tournament in Toronto Canada where I had wins against four of the top players in the World. This is the story.....
I was hanging out at my pool room "CJ's" behind the bar of all places....I really didn't spend a lot of time back there, but this day was the exception. An older man came in, sat down and ordered a soda...I knew how to "mix" that one so I got it for him and set it down.......he said "you are the professional pool player CJ aren't you?"....I replied "yes, that's me, unless I owe you money:smile: LoL"....he laughed, took a drink and said, "no, you don't owe me money, but I would like to ask you a question"......I suddenly felt him get serous and wondered what this older man was up to "sure, you can ask me whatever you want" I said, leaning against the cooler.....the man pointed at the pool table and ask "what are you trying to achieve playing that Game?"....I hesitated, thought and replied "I'm trying to be the best player I can be, maybe even the best in the world, at least once".....the man place his napkin between us, looked into my eyes and said firmly "you know this Game you play is already PERFECT....it's up to you to uncover it" and immediately turned over the napkin and looked under it....."Do You Understand" he said firmly again "The Game is ALREADY PERFECT, it's just up to you to uncover that Perfection", again he lifted up the napkin, looked under it and then quickly back into my now defocused stare......His eyes by now felt like they were probing my very soul and I squirmed a bit, suddenly feeling very warm and answered "I think I understand.....it's not me that has to be perfect, it's the game, so I don't need to try to be perfect, I just need to Uncover the Perfection that's already been placed there...in the Game.....by...uhhhh".....he smiled at my hesitation and finished "by the Breath of the Universe or The Breath of GOD, right now that's not as important as YOU having Faith that it's TRUE!.....He then told me to hold on for a minute and went to his car and brought back a book called 'A Parenthesis in Eternity', that I read and still have to this day.....this was one of those occasions that influenced me so much I find myself wondering if this old man was really an old man.....or.....angel....no, that would be silly now wouldn't it?.....hmmm, I still can't help but wonder, but the important thing is the alignment.
This alignment is done above the ball to the right side of the pocket cutting the the left and the left side of the pocket cutting to the left and then I use the "touch of inside" to cover the Zone of the pocket as I've described in several posts in the Aiming Section "John S. Corey D. thread". Then with the "Touch of Inside" slightly over cut the object ball into the center of the pocket. The sense of connecting the two balls with your eyes to "feel the angle" is vitally important....pocket billiards, at the highest level is played more with feel....than with just vision. That's how the apparent gaps in the angles are filled in. Consciouly this would not be possible because we are limited, but unconsciouly we have the ability to create angles down to the smallest degree. Paradoxically, the more you consciously try to "figure these things out" , the more of a conundrum it creates. This is why it's adviseable to try using a "touch of inside" on ALL SHOTS for a period of 2-3 hours so your unconscious can have a chance to reprogram your current beliefs about pocketing a ball. If you are missing more than 2 balls an hour you can certainly benifit from trying what's being suggested to your unconscious mind. Just Do IT , there will be plenty of time to figure it out after you experience what it really is.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
And no I don't take what pros tell as gospel. Instead I listen and try their advice to see if it can work for me.

So far in my pool life this strategy has worked really well with me picking up many things that I had not seen in books and videos prior to learning from the pros.

www.jbcases.com

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Because of a long layoff, I spent the last 3 years "reconstructing" my game, mainly through the mechanics of my stroke. Reading AZB and hitting the tables about 3 times per week, I'd spend my sessions working my stance, then my eye position, my bridge, my grip, my aim point reference, etc. I used to twist my stroke much as described here on certain, firm cut shots...don't ask me why, I don't know. But it worked. Now I've taken that out.

Here's the thing...a stroke is such a complex set of movements/conditions/variables. Stripping it down and analyzing every movement is exactly like taking a Rolex apart, choosing some parts, discarding others, making others fit to make up for the jewels you threw out, etc. Maybe your new watch will still tell time, you'll know why it tells time, but I doubt it will work as well as the original.

CJ gave us a valuable tool (the 3 part pocket) that I immediately understood within the context of MY game, applied it and am eternally grateful. I THINK I know why it works, but I'm not going to over analyze it. I might start twisting my stroke again...all I know is that I ran 5 packs quite frequently with the stroke that I had 10 years ago...If something works for me on the table, I'm not going to tear my watch apart to figure out why it ticks.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some will want to learn and will, some won't and won't

And no I don't take what pros tell as gospel. Instead I listen and try their advice to see if it can work for me.

So far in my pool life this strategy has worked really well with me picking up many things that I had not seen in books and videos prior to learning from the pros.

www.jbcases.com

I'm just posting what's worked and what I've seen work for others at the highest level of play - both in tournaments and in gambling "High Dollar" matches.

Some will want to learn and will, some won't and won't...I accepted that before I ever started here....this is true in all of life 'The Game is the Teacher'

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
come on guys :) Neil is a good guy!

CJ is trying to get to me, but what he doesn't understand is that he's not. I just feel a little sorry for him. He is too stuck on his ego. He is one of those that take the attitude that if you can't play like me, you are nothing in my eyes and have nothing to offer anyone, and don't DARE question anything I say. And if you do dare question it, I will try and make you look like nothing. It's really pretty sad.

Seems like some on here are actually after getting some to play better than they currently are, and some are here to stroke their ego. Que Sera Sera. All I ask, is for people to really look at what is being said. No matter who says it, and see if it has merit for them. If things are said that aren't true, people will speak up about it because they are interested in others improving their game, not trying something that can add other problems to their game. If that bothers some, then maybe they should re-think just what they are saying, and maybe let go of their ego a little and look at the science behind the game.

I'm sure CJ has a lot to offer us. But he has to let go of getting pissed off every time someone questions him. If what he says is good info, he should be able to back it up with the "whys", not just with, "I can play better than you, so shut up." Which, if he truly is interested in helping others, he would be doing. Mikjary has stated that he would like to hear about the mental game, others want to know about pattern play or especially about the strategic planning the pros do.

I for one have picked up great tips on here from stated APA 5's. Guys I can "mop the floor with" on the table. That does NOT mean I can't learn anything from them, and vice versa. Efren learns from bangers all the time. He doesn't let his skill get in the way of learning something new.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Remember, the Secret to this Game is ALL In Your Hands

Because of a long layoff, I spent the last 3 years "reconstructing" my game, mainly through the mechanics of my stroke. Reading AZB and hitting the tables about 3 times per week, I'd spend my sessions working my stance, then my eye position, my bridge, my grip, my aim point reference, etc. I used to twist my stroke much as described here on certain, firm cut shots...don't ask me why, I don't know. But it worked. Now I've taken that out.

Here's the thing...a stroke is such a complex set of movements/conditions/variables. Stripping it down and analyzing every movement is exactly like taking a Rolex apart, choosing some parts, discarding others, making others fit to make up for the jewels you threw out, etc. Maybe your new watch will still tell time, you'll know why it tells time, but I doubt it will work as well as the original.

CJ gave us a valuable tool (the 3 part pocket) that I immediately understood within the context of MY game, applied it and am eternally grateful. I THINK I know why it works, but I'm not going to over analyze it. I might start twisting my stroke again...all I know is that I ran 5 packs quite frequently with the stroke that I had 10 years ago...If something works for me on the table, I'm not going to tear my watch apart to figure out why it ticks.

I appreciate you saying that, it makes this all worth while....Let me tell you what was shared with me about "The Stroke".... Keep your stoke SIMPLE....get down on the cue ball measure up close to the cue ball....then take the cue back and return YOUR HAND to EXACTLY the place it started from..Quickly, with acceleration......the stroke is easier than people understand...you are just drawing your hand BACK , away from the cue ball and returning it QUICKLY to where it started....this is the acceleration and make no attempt to follow through, just let it happen.

your follow through should be NO LONGER than your back swing to be accurate.

Remember, the Secret to this Game is ALL In Your Hands....that's where you get the speed and touch to PLAY WELL

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You and some others seem to want to believe that anything a pro tells you has to be gospel because they can play better than you. That is nothing more than a poor assumption on your part. If that were true, then you should be holding your cue sideways like Keith, taking a swoop stroke like Hoppe, with a 1" backstroke like Allen Hopkins, one warmup stroke like Earl with a pump action to that warmup like Busty. Maybe then you will play like them.:confused:
Are you trying to imply that if I truly learn all of those "unique and advanced techniques" (e.g., by "getting out more" and "actually trying them at the table") that I might not shoot as well as those pros do, even if I pay money to learn the techniques from "instructors that actually know how to play"? :eek: :confused:

That's just not fair. :frown:

I don't care how or why the techniques work. The techniques obviously do work ... you'd be a fool to think otherwise. :mad:

I just want to be like them and play as well as they do without having to think about it. Why can't you understand that? I bet you haven't even tried the techniques at a real table before. I also bet that all of those pros play (or played) way better then you ever will. So there. :mad:

Why do you have to be such a "naysaying academic?" :mad:

Regards,
Dave :grin-square:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.