WPA 8 Ball Rule Question

blakerandy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a foul is committed while legally shooting the 8 ball but you don't pocket the 8 ball, is it just ball in hand or do you lose the game?

Thanks, Randy

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
If a foul is committed while legally shooting the 8 ball but you don't pocket the 8 ball, is it just ball in hand or do you lose the game?

Thanks, Randy

None of the above. a legal shot is a legal shot, success doesn't come into the equation

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
yeah I think the wording on this one is a little weird. Legally shooting means you didn't foul.

I'm guessing what you're asking about is... we all know "scratch-during-the-8 = lose".
But what if you do some other kind of foul, for example you hit it too soft and nothing reaches a rail?

Based on the way the online rules are written, this is also an instant loss. It doesn't say specifically scratching, it just says:

"fouls when pocketing the eight ball;"

Which is weird, I've never played that way even though it's come up a few times. I'm used to scratching = loss, all other fouls = BIH. And not long ago the BCA changed it so that scratching = BIH too.

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless I'm reading the WPA website rule page incorrectly:

- fouling while pocketing the 8-ball is loss of game
- fouling while not pocketing the 8-ball is ball-in-hand, but not loss of game

3.8 Losing the Rack
The shooter loses if he
(a) fouls when pocketing the eight ball;
(b) pockets the eight ball before his group is cleared;
(c) pockets the eight ball in an uncalled pocket; or
(d) drives the eight ball off the table.
These do not apply to the break shot.

blakerandy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless I'm reading the WPA website rule page incorrectly:

- fouling while pocketing the 8-ball is loss of game
- fouling while not pocketing the 8-ball is ball-in-hand, but not loss of game

3.8 Losing the Rack
The shooter loses if he
(a) fouls when pocketing the eight ball;
(b) pockets the eight ball before his group is cleared;
(c) pockets the eight ball in an uncalled pocket; or
(d) drives the eight ball off the table.
These do not apply to the break shot.

That's exactly how I read it.
When I said legally shooting the 8 ball I mean that all other balls have been made and you are now attempting a shot on the 8 ball.

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
It is not a loss unless you make the 8 and foul during the shot otherwise your opponent could just pull a safety and not give you a look at the 8....... You miss a kick shot at it and dont touch it or touch it and don't drive something to a rail...its ball in hand for your opponent not a loss of game.