scoring defensive shots in apa

Just because this is "the lowest" of leagues to you (and many others) doesn't mean that the majority of the over 200k people who play every week have to feel inferior.

Yes, I want to have fun, and for all my players to have fun, and that is the point. But that doesn't preclude us from taking it seriously enough to try, and to try to learn and improve. It's a big part of my week, and I think that's the case for many others.

And as many have pointed out before, as superior as you think that you are, there are a whole bunch of APA players that would gladly play you, and you would need to take it seriously.

I expect that most of us that play APA don't have any illusions about how "good" we are, in the larger world of pool. That doesnt mean that we can't take what do "seriously", seriously enough while still enjoying our evening.

Enjoy your ha-ha's, you aren't the first to come on here and crap on the APA, and you won't be the last. It's not new, and its tiresome.

It's no laughing matter to me. My goal would be for all players on both teams to have fun. I understand that it gets competitive, but I think there is a time and place for competition, and that's not during APA! I'm here to be friends with all, and I hold no one as better or worse than the next.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
It's no laughing matter to me. My goal would be for all players on both teams to have fun. I understand that it gets competitive, but I think there is a time and place for competition, and that's not during APA! I'm here to be friends with all, and I hold no one as better or worse than the next.

Then why keep score at all? Let's all just pay our weekly fees, show up, and just play for a while.

There is no reason why we can't have fun AND "try" at the same time.

Sorry it seems beneath you. Hope you do have fun.

Then why keep score at all? Let's all just pay our weekly fees, show up, and just play for a while.

There is no reason why we can't have fun AND "try" at the same time.

Sorry it seems beneath you. Hope you do have fun.

I believe the APA is a fine establishment. If they had a one pocket or bank pool APA league, I would probably have been a member long ago!

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
If it even looks like a defensive shot or you are not sure.... mark it as a defensive shot. It keeps the SL accurate.

On the other hand, it a valid attempt was made to pocket a ball, it was not a defensive shot.

Kim

hotcues

Biggest Edwin Reyes Fan
Silver Member
This is so Simple! Ask the shooter if he was playing the ball or playing
Safe. JUST ASK.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You might say its a two way shot, but that would imply a different set of rules.

But, with that in mind I'd call it a safety for the simple fact that he was indeed shooting a two way shot (offensive and defensive) and the result was for him the defensive result.

If he kicked the ball in the pocket, then the shot ended the other of the two way shot. The fact that he chose to shoot a two way shot means he should expect it to be called defensive if he doesn pocket a ball. Additionally, the two way shot signifies an increase in skill level, which is hand-in-hand with the intent of the Equalizer scoring method.

Freddie <~~~ safety allowed

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
But why am I marked for a missed shot if I call the pocket, but intentionally play it to one side of the pocket so if I miss I get safe?

If you make what appears to be an attempt to make a ball, its not defensive, for the purposes of Apa scorekeeping.

Yes, better players can make an attempt at a ball and leave the cue ball in a bad spot if they miss. That's smart. It's also not a defensive shot. To try and determine true intent is beyond the scope of this or any scoring system.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Unless a player calls a safe or plays a dead obvious safety (hit OB into rail and hide the CB) its an offensive shot. So you mean to tell me that 2 way shots are now considered defensive? Last time I check you have to call a safe or its not. Especially in 8 ball. Hell when I played APA 9 ball I called my safes because I wanted to jump up to a 9 that season. I achieved that goal and then quit :lol:

Unless a player calls a safe or plays a dead obvious safety (hit OB into rail and hide the CB) its an offensive shot. So you mean to tell me that 2 way shots are now considered defensive? Last time I check you have to call a safe or its not. Especially in 8 ball. Hell when I played APA 9 ball I called my safes because I wanted to jump up to a 9 that season. I achieved that goal and then quit :lol:

You're going to penalize me for a missed 4-rail bank just because it was a 2-way shot?

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
One could argue that my primary goal is to play safe, but I am still shooting close to the pocket, hoping it will fall!

In my area, the shooter tells the scorekeeper what his intent was. I don't really understand your rationale in this situation. If you want to pocket the ball, shoot for it. If you don't, don't. Playing safe while hoping you make the ball because you have to keep shooting in APA is very counter-intuitive to me. (I call safe and pocket balls all the time playing BCA rules.)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
You're going to penalize me for a missed 4-rail bank just because it was a 2-way shot?

Since you don't play APA, just so you know, the average APA player doesn't attempt 4-rail banks. And if they do, they aren't expecting to make it. At least in my little corner if the world. Not a good example.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think the fact you consider it a penalty is confusing you. A safety marked is not a penalty.

It's only a penalty if you're trying to sandbag. If you're trying to win, and you do, it shouldn't matter.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's only a penalty if you're trying to sandbag. If you're trying to win, and you do, it shouldn't matter.

You said it, not me.

Freddie <~~~ but I was thinking the same thing

P.S. Now I said it

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member

How is missing any shot a penatly?? I guess if you're playing a monster player and they tax you a few games for missing in the first place.

Last edited: