A thought on growing up pre camera phone FB and twitter. and some random musings

jersey jer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just sending someone a PM about a place that's closed, where i spent a good portion of my teen years through my mid twenties, and thought I'd do a simple Google image search for a shot of The Ballroom inc in Toms river NJ. nothing. I realized thank God my generation wasn't at the point that every one had camera phones, and FB, and twitter. Otherwise we'd all have a lot of explaining to do to today :) and I'm not so sure we'd be able to...

Got me thinking..

For good or for bad I did a lot of my growing up in that place, i met all kinds there from all walks of life. From crooks to cops, and from bums to judges, doctors n lawyers. Amazing what a great social equalizer pool is. I learned how to spot the good people, those who always had some kind of an angle, and those who should be kept an eye on or kept out of your life.

Tony you one legged son of a Bitc#, RIP. You've been gone for quite a while now, but I want to say I'm glad to have called you my friend. You had a profound impact on that portion of my life and who i am, I miss you my friend. And take it easy on St peter up there, remember.... you can shear a sheep many times but only butcher him once, so dont kill all your action, you're gonna there a while.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
There were some very good times back in those days for sure, no telling how many dimes & quarters I've put in pay phones, it's been along time since I've even seen a pay phone.

I remember when the pager's came out, that was the Nut's for pool players, if you saw some action somewhere around the city you would call the page number and then your horse calls back to see where the action was, I really liked that, jelly rolls or part of the action were the norm back then.

Anyone that snitched off action usually got slapped at the poolroom in front of everybody so they would learn a valuable lesson, these days people tell all they know or think they know about everyone just to make it look like they are Somebody! ( pool detective's)

Those days are gone forever and things have changed, but I have adjusted as we all have, these are some good ole days too though, never in my mind would I have thought I could watch live pool being streamed on a contraption that looks like a TV in my bed room!.....ha ha

By the way good post man!

David Harcrow

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The day of the pool hustler is dead and gone thanks due to the stinkin" camera phone. Unless you happen to be a master of disguise expect nothing but tough action, or none at all.
Tom

jersey jer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, i wasnt thinking about how social media can kill action or at least keep someone from remaining anonymous but people have been using it to bark and drum up action too, or at least stir up some drama. But i see where your comin from.

I was really just struck by the fact i couldnt find any pics of a place like the ballroom with a simple google search. People take pictures of and post every waffle and plate of pasta they eat and are amazed by. If the place was open id expect somewhat the same but i guess the place just missed the phenomenon by half a generation.

Anybody out there have any pics or a good story of The Ballroom inc. Toms river nj.?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Funny thing we were thinking so similar about a place down in Naples FL called Arts Place it used to be beautiful. And I learned a few life life lessons there.... It's not what it used to be:'( cest la vie. I'm sorry you lost someone,I can understand that feeling. (((hugs)))
Loren

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
never in my mind would I have thought I could watch live pool being streamed on a contraption that looks like a TV in my bed room!.....ha ha

Absolutely. I've been streaming the Mosconi Cup all week at work starting at 2:00 with the ESPN app on my phone :cool: I have it going for the first 2 matches there with my headphones on, then put it on my speedometer behind the steering wheel when I leave work, then get home like 20 minutes later and stream it through my Xbox on the big screen until the end! It's crazy! More remarkable is the fact that I can stream it on my phone AND it feeds the video about 4 minutes earlier than the internet... :eek:

I wish I was lucky enough to have been able to play in the "good old days", but I'm having a good time right now! I'm going to be really sad tomorrow when I have to try to make up all the work I've neglected all week, especially now that I just watched Dechaine scratch to go down 3-0. :(

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Good old days

Absolutely. I've been streaming the Mosconi Cup all week at work starting at 2:00 with the ESPN app on my phone :cool: I have it going for the first 2 matches there with my headphones on, then put it on my speedometer behind the steering wheel when I leave work, then get home like 20 minutes later and stream it through my Xbox on the big screen until the end! It's crazy! More remarkable is the fact that I can stream it on my phone AND it feeds the video about 4 minutes earlier than the internet... :eek:

I wish I was lucky enough to have been able to play in the "good old days", but I'm having a good time right now! I'm going to be really sad tomorrow when I have to try to make up all the work I've neglected all week, especially now that I just watched Dechaine scratch to go down 3-0. :(

When I began school, there was no TV, let alone computers, etc.

I really think this gives old coots my age a healthy perspective on technology, that you think might be of some value. But in America, most everything is geared toward the consumer age 13 to 50. Unlike other cultures, we practice little respect for the young or the old, and thus miss out on great opportunities to learn from those not yet completely brain-washed or those with extensive life experience...

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night at our weekly league the entire opposing team did a no show. So they forfeited all the matches and the five players on our team hung out and shot pool for the night. I was shooting with a young guy on my team named Victor. Well he started to screw around with his "smart" phone and was not paying attention to our game. I constantly had to nudge him and tell him it was his shot. Finally I got his phone and hid it from him, well he got all upset so I told him to take his phone and play with it or play pool instead cause you can't do both at the same time! I then torched him, safed him and made him miserable until he quit.. Shut the damn phone off folks!!