Safe Break or Let Him Go For It ?

Safe Break Or Go For It ?

• Total voters

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree.

And in my scenario, you only need three balls.

As long as you make SOMETHING on the break (let's say you make one ball), you have to make two more. Provided you have a shot at ANYTHING, then after you make THAT shot, the realm of possibilities for combinations, caroms, kiss shots, banks, kicks, you name it.

The realm of possible shots just increased significantly !!!

Balls stay down on all fouls, so after I commit to the group I want, I only have to insure that the third ball goes down by any means.

Even if playing "your ball" into "my ball" to sink that third ball means I give you ball in hand, it doesn't matter. I've already made the three balls I need. Match is over.

The last thing I want to do is give the best player in the league the opportunity to get to the table in any situation.

So if I've been sinking ball(s) on my breaks, I'm feeling pretty good about making something on this break, regardless of who my opponent is.

And, for me, the fact that I only need three balls makes the choice even clearer...

Great point. I put our match on ice last year knowing I needed just 1 ball. My opponent put a pretty good safe on me, but allowed me to still see one of my balls, though it didn't go anywhere. He thinks he has me by the short hairs. I jack up, knock myball, a couple of his balls, and the cue ball off the table. All object balls all stay down, he gets ball in hand, but I got the one ball I needed. He, nor his team, was amused in the least but hey, he should have locked me down on that safe.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
BCA experience?

Ahhhh.....here is someone with a clue......and what sounds like a LOT of BCAPL rule experience. Just knowing that the third ball can be made illegally and still count speaks volumes in the OP's scenario.

Best post to date, IMO.

Maniac

I've played in 12 different national and local league organizations since 1966, including the BCA. I say the soft break is the smart move.

A buddy of mine played the soft break in every game of the Wisconsin State BCA singles event some years ago, and went undefeated...against a strong field.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I've played in 12 different national and local league organizations since 1966, including the BCA. I say the soft break is the smart move.

A buddy of mine played the soft break in every game of the Wisconsin State BCA singles event some years ago, and went undefeated...against a strong field.

Well every regional and national league event I've ever played in (1-2 min every year for however long) were played on 7 footers with buckets.

I'm not even sure if you can safety break on those tables without making a ball.

:)

Anyways.... Like I said, I always prefer to have my own future in my hands, not sitting in a chair hoping the other guy misses. Its not even a pool thing for me, that's a hell of a way to go thru life.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I don't care.

We all have experience. Some more than others. Please don't use that as the reason. It's silly.

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
The other end to this, is that my opponent has to prevent me from making those three balls.

It's one thing if, say, I have to keep HIM from making those three balls. Then maybe I can wrap my head around the safety break.

Maybe.

But not only has my opponent been tasked with having to win the game, but he also has to keep me from getting that third ball in a pocket.

And that's assuming that I either don't make anything on the break, or safe myself to the point that I can't make anything after I commit to the group I want !!

My opponent has to either run out, or play such a jam-up safety that I can't hit anything even remotely close to making that third ball !!

On fouls, all balls stay down, so how I do it is irrelevant. Once the second ball is in the hole, there's a whole myriad of shots at my disposal. I can play ANYTHING into one of my balls to sink it.

I only have to pocket that third ball to advance my team.

The last thing I want to do, especially if I'm feeling good about my breaks, is give the top player in the league a chance to get to the table.