My First Custom - Ebony Merry Widow

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well... a few weeks back I decided to pull the trigger on my first custom cue (and down the worm hole I go).

I wanted this cue to be a player. Something simple and black, with a bit of flash to it. I'm tall, so the cue will be 60" long with a matching extension and joint protectors. Ebony forearm and butt sleeve, black phenolic butt cap and joint collar, 3/8X10 pin with silver and ivory ring work and Predator 314-2 shafts.

For the ring work, I've really grown to like the silver and ivory deco boxes found in many Ginacues (I'm not a big "deco" guy either. Box cues... not for me. Boxes in the inlays... nope. Boxes in the ringwork... love it. Go figure...), so we started with that design, then decided to trim them in double silver border rings. It should add a bit of class and flash to an otherwise plain cue... just what I was looking for.

So far, I've had the chance to see the forearm (turned and cored) and it's some of the blackest ebony I've ever seen... Very happy with the quality of wood. Then, just yesterday, I was sent a photo of the ringwork in progress. To say that it is coming along beautifully would be an understatement.

Since I've always enjoyed seeing the progress photos of other's custom builds, I wanted to post some of mine as well. The only one I have right now is the "ringwork in progress" photo, but I'll update with more as I receive them.

Ringwork In Progress - 6/20/13

ringwork%20in%20progress.JPG

I was at a tournament today and Eddie brought by the joint cap he had made for my cue. The cap has matching ringwork in it, so he wanted to give me an idea of how it will look when finished. The cap isn't quite there yet. He said that it still needs to be taken down a bit, given a final sanding and, of course, the finish. Even though it's not a finished piece, it's progress, it looks amazing, and it's getting me more and more excited to get my hands on this thing. Sorry for the spotty photo, but all I had available to me were my iPhone and the overhead light from the pool table. I will be sure to take some nice shots when everything is finished, but this will have to do for now...

Joint Cap Almost Finished - 6/23/13

Joint%20Cap.JPG

I got a text from Eddie today and all of the ringwork is officially complete. Plus everything is being glued tonight. He sent me the photo below and I could not be happier with how this is turning out... it's exactly what I had pictured in my head (which isn't always that easy to replicate in reality). In case you wonder, like I did for a second, there will be two silver rings at the bottom, like all of the other positions. He was just short one ring at the time, but wanted to send me a photo of the progress anyway. Thanks for the update, Eddie... and good luck in the Tad Cup this weekend!

Butt Rings Complete - 8/2/13

Butt%20Rings%20Complete.jpg

Well... we are getting very close. Eddie brought the cue down to the pool hall today, so I could see the progress. This is the first time I have seen it all together and it absolutely blew me away. He said that it just needs a final pass, then it's ready for finish. He also brought along the extension that he made for it, as well as the newly selected lizard wrap. If everything stays on schedule, it should be sprayed on Tuesday, the 13th, then it's off to the engraver for logos. All in, I'm probably looking at another week and a half (maybe two) until completion... moving right along, indeed.

Cue Pre-Finish, Extension and Wrap - 8/8/13 --click on the photo for a high res version--

Eddie was over at Ariel Carmeli's shop today to give my cue the final prep for finish and start spraying... among other things. Since the shop is only about 15 minutes from my house, I went by to meet Ariel, check out the progress and look at all of the other eye candy that was being worked on in the shop. By the time I got there, my cue had already been pinned, had been given the final sanding and was having the ringwork polished prior to the finish being applied. Additionally, the shaft rings had been installed on the Predator 314-2s and they already had their first coat of finish. Getting closer by the day...

Butt Sleeve/Rings After Final Sanding & Polish, Just Before Being Sprayed - 8/13/13

Butt%20Rings%20Polished.jpg

Shaft Rings with First Coat of Finish - 8/13/13

Shafts%20with%20Finish.jpg

IT... IS... FINISHED!!!!!
I met Eddie at Hard Times (Bellflower) on Thursday night, 8/29/13, to pick up the cue. This thing is gorgeous! I can't say enough about the build quality and finish... Everything is top notch. The hit far surpasses my expectations. Every other time I had given a predator 314-2 shaft a spin, it was on a steel jointed cue. I liked the hit just fine... a bit better than my OB-1, but that's all personal preference. The first time I hit this cue, I was blown away at the amount of feel and feedback I was getting. I guess going from a steel jointed production cue to a wood-to-wood (phenolic collar) jointed custom cue made a bigger difference than I expected. This thing plays like an absolute dream. The other thing that surprised me about the shaft was the amount of deflection that I am getting... or should I say, not getting. I had this shaft taken down to 12.65mm, so I'm not sure if that plays into it at all, but if this OB-1 was a low deflection shaft, then this 314-2 is a NO deflection shaft. Don't get me wrong, OB makes a great product. I played with an OB-1 for years, and absolutely love it... but this 314-2 is a performer.

Another impressive part of the build was the extension that he made for me. It's very similar to the extensions that Mike Lambros makes for his cues. It's an 8" extension, with a matching butt-ring, that screws into the bottom of the cue through a hole in the bumper. When screwed on, the bumper of the cue recesses into the extension. It's clean, solid, convenient, and extends my 60" cue to 68" in a matter of seconds. Now, if I have a long shot that requires a reach, I am prepared... If I don't feel like using the rake, I am prepared... If I run into Earl and he asks me to borrow my cue... well... I am prepared.

When I picked up the cue and extension, the entire package wasn't quite complete yet. He was still working on taking down the second shaft (this one should go to 12.50mm), engraving the tops for the joint protectors and the JPs also had to be sprayed, but I told him that I wanted what he had finished anyway (who wants to wait to play with their new cue because a second shaft and some JPs aren't quite done yet?!). The other shaft and JPs should be finished this week. As soon as I get them, I will take some proper photos so you can see how this all turned out.

OK... As promised, although a bit tardy, photos of the finished cue are below. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Forearm and Joint Cap with My Initials

Cue-1.jpg

Butt Sleeve, Lizard Wrap and Ported Bumper for Extension

Cue-2.jpg

Matching Extension Installed

Cue-3.jpg

314-2 Shafts with Matching Rings and Caps (I went with numbers a bit more personal than 1 and 2)

Cue-4.jpg

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to reply in this thread, or shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:

clerks37

Pimp Master
Silver Member
I recently ordered a custom cue as well. They told me they would send pics as it progresses. Mind if I ask who is making yours?

Looking forward to seeing how your progression goes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently ordered a custom cue as well. They told me they would send pics as it progresses. Mind if I ask who is making yours?

Looking forward to seeing how your progression goes.

Mine is being made by Eddie Cohen in Southern CA.

He just recently started doing his own work after years of working under Kent Davis and Ariel Carmeli. The guy really knows his stuff, is accommodating, easy to get a hold of and is an overall pleasure to work with.

Plus he isn't backlogged with orders, like a lot of the big name makers, so his turn times are lightning fast!

clerks37

Pimp Master
Silver Member
That is awesome. I just ordered one on Tuesday from Jacoby. They said it would take 4-6 months.

I can't wait to see more pics of yours.

dchan320

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie makes a fine cue. I especially like the one he built for himself which is his main player.

A buddy just bought one from him over the weekend at Danny Ks.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie makes a fine cue. I especially like the one he built for himself which is his main player.

A buddy just bought one from him over the weekend at Danny Ks.

Was that the BEM cue with the tan leather wrap? I think I saw him on a practice table with it just after he bought it... That cue hits a ton!

dchan320

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that the BEM cue with the tan leather wrap? I think I saw him on a practice table with it just after he bought it... That cue hits a ton!

That's the one. David, the new owner, bought it on the spot after a couple of test hits. :thumbup:

dchan320

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one sweet a$$ looking cue! No doubt you'll bring it in two weeks to the usual stomping ground. Can't wait to see it in person.

Thanks for sharing the progress...

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one sweet a$$ looking cue! No doubt you'll bring it in two weeks to the usual stomping ground. Can't wait to see it in person.

Thanks for sharing the progress...

Ah yes... to stomp, or be stomped, remains unknown... but there will be stomping, none the less. :D

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thats a understatement......:)

Is it wrong to be thinking about a design for your next one before your first one is complete?

Based on a similar relationship I have with golf equipment, I'm thinking that this is completely normal...

clerks37

Pimp Master
Silver Member
Did you ever take some pics of the final result? Would love to see it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2