Jack Justis Case • Zipper on cue case not working.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Yeah well, when your zipper doesn't work anymore it kind makes your zipper pouch worthless, unless you like supplying the pool room and the streets of your town with your pool accessories.

My brass zipper started giving me trouble about a month ago. Basically, when I slid my zipper slide closed, the teeth didn't close behind them. The teeth didn't look like they were bent or torn. They just weren't holding together like they should. I figured I needed another zipper, after all my cue case has got a lot of miles on it. Those TSA agents probably caused the damage to the zipper. :D

Anyway, I go to the Premiere Shoe Doctor in my town and he glares at me and says he doesn't do zipper repair. I inquire if he knows who does and he doesn't give me any names, just the usual suspects; luggage repair people and shoe repair shops Lol.

I tell PSD that I can get the cue case manufacturer to send me a brand new zipper and he says again, "We don't do zipper repair". I concede my efforts with PSD and go my merry way with pool accessories scattering the streets of New Orleans like Mardi Gras trinkets flying from the floats.

I get back home and get on the Internet and finally find a local repair shop that can replace the zipper but he doesn't know what he will have to charge me. Wants to know where I live......? I tell him and then he wants to know how I found out about him. I mention the big named luggage dealer in the French Quarter that recommended me to him and he finally says he can most likely do it. So I ask when and where I can drop off the cue case. He says he doesn't allow drop offs and that he will pick it up from me and maybe we can meet somewhere. :D I start to thinking about Mike Surber about that time and tell him that I am going to call the cue case maker and make sure that he will send me a zipper replacement because I don't want just any cheap zipper.

I finally call Jack Justis on the phone and tell him my sad story. He offers to fix it and asks if I will be in Las Vegas next week. I tell him no and he then asks if I am handy. That's a loaded question because I will try to fix just about anything. One time I replaced some linoleum in our upstairs bathroom many moons ago and it took me about two days of solid work but replace it I did. Other simple tasks have taken me slightly longer but I was prepared to try another.

First off Jack told me that brass zippers are known to wear and the teeth will sometimes not stick together because of the slide being worn. And SOMETIMES they can be repaired without being replaced. He tells me that I can use a pair of dikes (cutting pliers) to try and repair it or send him the case and if repairable, he will do the repair at no charge. I tell him I want to give it a shot and so he says, "It's not rocket science and it's pretty common knowledge Joey." I laugh because I don't know it and I know a lot of common stuff. :wink: Anyway, he says you want to be very careful and NOT squeeze the slide too tightly or you could cause even more damage. He then tells me that it doesn't always work but I have a good chance of making it work if I am careful and the teeth aren't damaged. He says it's the slide that's worn. So, the next thing I need to do is to close the slide all the way until the slide hits the "stop", but my slide doesn't go all the way down to the stop. The slide is about two teeth short of closing all of the way. I'm already off the telephone with Jack and see that my slide doesn't close all the way to the stop so I "Bing" repair a zipper slide and find that if you pull on the slide in the direction of the stop while simultaneously pulling on one slide at the timein the opposite direction, (doing this to both sides of the zipper) you can work the slide down to the zipper, MOST of the time. I manage to do that in about 8 seconds without any additional damage to the zipper. Instead of some dikes I have these enormous but curved pliers that insure that I won't have to apply much pressure the top and bottom of the slide to "close" the gap of the slide so that it more closely rides on the teeth and it seems to be the perfect tool to fit inside of the pouch and still have plenty of leverage. I doubt needle nose pliers would work. I "gently" press the large-handled pliers together over the top and the bottom of the brass slide and think I have applied enough pressure to make a slight crimp and I attempt to close the zipper. That took about 5 seconds to do and now the zipper seems like it is as good as new. That Jack Justis. What a guy!

Jack also suggested using some Chapstick as a lubricant for the zipper if I got it working. Have to find a tube, the one I had probably fell out of my cue case.
JoeyA

Last edited:

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
I had a Silver Fox case that was having the same issues. I emailed someone from Silver Fox and was given the same advice. Worked like a charm!

Woody

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Awww gee guys, can't you see that Cocobolo Cowboy is just trying to give Jack some extra press?

Well if you're not going to call him a whole bunch of us are going to start a mass call in to Jack for you.

Day by day by day.

Week after week after week.

:thumbup:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Some very good info on zipper repair. Good post Joey.

It is great that you got it working because it is really a pain to replace zippers and sliders in cue cases.

Alternatively people can try a snap on slider called Zlide-On. Google it to find where to get them.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey-good job.

Coco-apparently Joey thought of this too.

Good job, Joey....always satisfying to recognize a problem, do some independent research, inquire of those who know about this stuff, and then take a shot at it. Usually the item is already broken or thrashed, so attempting to repair it has little downside risk, except time spent.

Coco...It rained about 17 drops twice this afternoon in SoCal. I was outside the office at work during the first downpour. Someone in the adjacent office had their moon/sun..roof open a crack. I let them know about the raindrops. Granted, they were on the phone when I told them about the 'rain'. Their reply/answer/question at this news was....'Oh-it's raining..outside?' I just nodded 'yes' and left.... Kind of the same thing, only different...head shaker material.

Joey...good job.

Coco....thanks for the laugh.:scratchhead:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Jack also suggested using some Chapstick as a lubricant for the zipper if I got it working. Have to find a tube, the one I had probably fell out of my cue case.
JoeyA

If you have a Bee Keepers Supply near you go buy a small chunk of BEE WAX. Work a small piece in your finger until it is soft. Great on Zipper, Cue Pins, and will not run like CHAP Stick that is soft.

I have a small piece of bees wax I have been using for 20 years, bought in Sacrameto years ago, and lets say a block an 1" x 1" x 1" goes a long way.

New Zipper like Blue Jeans Zippers, Cue Cases Zippers, Cue Pin get the bees wax treatment. :wink:

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Joey,

You can always use a candle (wax) on the zipper. I sometime grab one of the wife's scented candle for this job...when she's not around of course :grin:

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
If you have a Bee Keepers Supply near you go buy a small chunk of BEE WAX. Work a small piece in your finger until it is soft. Great on Zipper, Cue Pins, and will not run like CHAP Stick that is soft.

I have a small piece of bees wax I have been using for 20 years, bought in Sacrameto years ago, and lets say a block an 1" x 1" x 1" goes a long way.

New Zipper like Blue Jeans Zippers, Cue Cases Zippers, Cue Pin get the bees wax treatment. :wink:

I have heard that BEE WAX might work well, what do you think Coco?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Jack also suggested using some Chapstick as a lubricant for the zipper if I got it working.
JoeyA

With all those hookers down in New Orleans, I'm surprised you didn't find that out on your own. :wink:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have heard that BEE WAX might work well, what do you think Coco?

I think you and your buddy from Stockton, formor Marine (SAM-PoolPlayer2093) should get a marriage license.:wink:

10 Uses for Beeswax
No longer just for candles—put this natural material to work around the house

The glandular secretions of honeybees can do more than divide the cells of a hive; beeswax-based paint-coated walls in Ancient Greece and copies of the Magna Carta were delivered in 1215 bearing a beeswax seal. These days, it's mostly an ingredient in candles and cosmetics, but you can visit a craft store or a farmers' market, pick up a cake of it, and put it to work around the house as well.

Use beeswax to:

1. Unstick a drawer. A thin coat of beeswax on wooden rails makes the wood drawers on Granny's old bureau slide smoothly. It does windows, too. Use wax to lubricate sashes.

2. Free frozen nuts. Help loosen a rusted nut by lubricating the bolt's threads with melted wax.

3. Wax wood. For structural elements that need to look good but take no wear (such as exposed ceiling beams), heat equal parts beeswax, linseed oil, and turpentine. Apply with a burlap rag while the mixture is still warm.

4. Preserve bronze. To ward against oxidation caused by moist air, brush on a solution of ⅓ pound beeswax melted in 1 quart turpentine. Buff it with a towel to create a thin, hard coat.

5. Whip frayed rope. Wrap a waxed length of string tightly around the rope's tip about a dozen times. Tie off the loose end and trim the excess.

6. Lube screws. Georgia Beekeepers' Association president Robert Brewer rubs wax over the threads of screws to make them drive smoothly and resist corrosion.

7. Condition a wood cutting board. Add a half-teaspoon beeswax to a cup of mineral oil, microwave until the wax melts, and apply the mixture to the board with a soft cloth.

8. Polish concrete counters. Give a sealed, dark concrete countertop a muted, natural luster by rubbing melted beeswax over the surface with a chamois cloth. Let it dry and then wipe, says Fred Hueston, director of the National Training Center for Stone and Masonry Trades.

9. Preserve a patina. Seal a copper sink by rubbing it with softened beeswax and polishing off the excess with a lint-free rag, says Shane Jost, owner of Mountains Edge Copperart.

10. Waterproof leather. Combine equal parts beeswax, tallow, and neatsfoot oil (available online). Warm the mixture and use a rag to rub it on your work boots or gloves.

Last edited:

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still hoping that Cocobolo Cowboy has a good suggestion for your problem. Maybe he will suggest calling Jack.