Best jump break cue

LSU1018

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I plan to buy a new jump/break or jump cue and break cue soon. I'm just trying to get some opinions on cues. I have about $400 give or take to spend so I was thinking about getting a BK2 and then a lucasi air hog. I was also considering a lomax or samsara jump break. I have also heard good things about the poison jump break. What do yall say?

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally love the Poison VXJMP for a dedicated jump cue. I tried out quite a few when I was deciding which one to buy and ended up choosing that one because of the ease with which it makes short jumps. I don't often find myself in a situation where I need to make long jumps and if I do I just kick.

That being said... most any jump cue is good at jumping. All you really need in a jump cue to is for it to have the most deflection possible and to be relatively light so that you can generate the speed necessary in the short stroke to jump a ball.

As for the BK2... It's a good solid break cue and I am a huge fan but I would personally go for the BK3 and wait on the jump cue.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I'd buy a custom for that price. Pry play better, and hold value better.

Personally I'd buy a Keith Kue, but that's just me. Another good option is some of the purpleheart sluggers I see coming out of ND somewhere. pretty nice break stick. then get a GOOD jump cue.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i picked up a stealth as a dedicated jump cue years back for less than $100, also all my break cues break down into jump cues. I really cant tell much difference between them and honestly, i dont see putting much money into a jumper. I can jump a ball 2 inches away and i can jump one 2 feet away, but i might not reach for a jump cue 2 times in a whole night of playing. Id get something cheap and put my time into practice and technique, spend the savings on other goodies or a lesson from a good jumper.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a dedicated jump cue, Steve Lomax makes the best I've been able to find. I love mine... It gets the cue ball up FAST! Plus, he makes a good break cue.

If budget is an issue, it really is hard to beat the Poison VX BRK jump/break. Seyberts is currently selling it for $198. IMO, it outperforms that price tag by quite a bit.

cajunbarboxplyr

Beatem down wit a Varney
Silver Member
In no particular order.

Varney
Lomax
Samsara

I love my Varney. Jumps like a champ. Everyone who I let use it always asks who made it. Jus happy I got mine when I did!

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
I bought a Lomax jump cue about a month ago. It jumps so good I can't imagine having anything else. The ball gets up very quickly and it's mostly effortless. I can't believe I didn't try one sooner.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On playing cues I will always suggest going the custom route but I don't believe that is the case with breakers.

Individual cue makers cannot put the amount of time and money into R&D to make a break cue that out performs some of the high-end name brands but that is just my opinion.

As for a jump/break stick I tend to shy away from them as I usually like front weighted break-cues and that makes the jump section too heavy.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like my Jester jump cue. Is three piece for long or short jumps you can see it in action on youtube. I also have borrowed a Predator Air before buying mine and is very good too. I tried Poison, Lucasi, McDermott, etc.. at the expo. I went for the Jester.

Would recomnd Jester, McDermott, and Poison.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
On playing cues I will always suggest going the custom route but I don't believe that is the case with breakers.

Individual cue makers cannot put the amount of time and money into R&D to make a break cue that out performs some of the high-end name brands but that is just my opinion.

As for a jump/break stick I tend to shy away from them as I usually like front weighted break-cues and that makes the jump section too heavy.

Don't overlook Summit. I have the Summit classic j/b with a Purple Heart shaft and am very impressed with its performance. It hits so hard that on more than one occasion I've shot the bumper out if the back of it. The cue is mostly Purple Heart so it's heavier than I was used to. The shaft is five ounces by itself. It does however put the weight very far forward witch translates to a 13 oz jump cue. It's jump amazing. It will pound the ball into the next county with very little effort. They are priced well also.

Scherf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone asked a similar question not too long ago and a number of members all said "Alex Brick". So many in fact I decided to ask how to get ahold of him and buy one. As a break cue, all I can say is that thing hits A TON! Extremely solid and consistant. Also performs very well as a jump cue. $275 and I had it in only a couple of days. In my home town two more people have ordered from him since I got mine in June. Highly Recomended.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I plan to buy a new jump/break or jump cue and break cue soon. I'm just trying to get some opinions on cues. I have about $400 give or take to spend so I was thinking about getting a BK2 and then a lucasi air hog. I was also considering a lomax or samsara jump break. I have also heard good things about the poison jump break. What do yall say?

Since you mentioned it...I recently bought my honorary nephew a poison jump/break for his birthday. He used a borrowed one to go undefeated through the masters division in the BCA western regionals. Of course, that bumped the poor guy into grand master status,,,

Anyway, when I told him I'd buy him a jump/break, he insisted on Poison, eventho I said I'd buy him a custom if he wanted. Fine by me, since a Lomax and others costs much more.

The new model with the variable butt surface grip took a spell for a dealer (cheapcues.com) to get in, but they seem to be available now. We drove up to Portland to pick it up, since we're only 100 miles south or so. Matt took a few shots with it on their table. Yep, that was the one he wanted....Happy birthday, kid!

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Poison does make a good j/b, I had one briefly. I considered an Alex Brick but be was out of stock when I wanted to order. His j/b's are so good the sell out crazy fast. If you can get one, jump on it.

LSU1018

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried the brick and the Lomax jump cues. I thought they jumped about the same. Mainly just trying to find a good cue that breaks really good too. I haven't tried the bk2, poison or Lucasi air hog. Those seem to be most popular.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member

Hands down, the IceBreaker. I have one for sale: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=329625

PM if interested.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Carmeli makes a great J/B

I had Carmeli make me an ebony JB with leather wrap and two shafts, one to break with, and one to shoot with. I put an ODEGA break tip on one shaft for breaking, and a g10 1 piece tip/ferrule for jumping on the other shaft. That thing jumps great, and breaks great, and it's unique. Was a little over your budget, but an option in any case...since Lomax would too, be a little over it.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
A vote for Lomax jump and a separate Lomax break cue. It is super useful to have dedicated jump... as they are 2 specific tasks that are not best mixed.