G.Szamboti blanks

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
This comes from the main forum, some amazing photos of unfinished GS blanks, which also recently sold on AZB. Some commented that they had never seen squares glued up like this before. Is this the "difference" between GS cues and all others? Not knowing anything about cuemaking, I'd like to ask...is this a "full splice" blank...or? Thanks...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=279004

Travis Niklich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This comes from the main forum, some amazing photos of unfinished GS blanks, which also recently sold on AZB. Some commented that they had never seen squares glued up like this before. Is this the "difference" between GS cues and all others? Not knowing anything about cuemaking, I'd like to ask...is this a "full splice" blank...or? Thanks...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=279004

NO and NO .....

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I always thought Gus made full splice cues, what a letdown. What construction method is this called?

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd call it a short splice blank. Don't be let down- Gus made his own blanks in an era when nearly everybody bought pre-made blanks from Burton Spain or cut up pre-made cues (AFAIK). This was before the "information age," so he had to work it out on his own, coming up with jigs and fixtures that are still used to this day in the Szamboti shop.
I wonder if anyone else in that era was building their own short splice blanks at the time?

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd call it a short splice blank. Don't be let down- Gus made his own blanks in an era when nearly everybody bought pre-made blanks from Burton Spain or cut up pre-made cues (AFAIK). This was before the "information age," so he had to work it out on his own, coming up with jigs and fixtures that are still used to this day in the Szamboti shop.
I wonder if anyone else in that era was building their own short splice blanks at the time?

Dan Janes, i think"

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Palmer made blanks like the ones you see Szamboti using. He may have started out coping Palmer. Palmer was also a source of parts for cues back then for the very very few cuemakers there were. I think you could have counted the number of cuemakers back then on your fingers.