Gold Member
Silver Member
Ahhh yes she's my mistress.
She's my therapist.
She's my adventure.
She's my jigsaw puzzle.
She's my mystery.
She's my soap opera.
She's my walk in the park on a sunny day.
She's my long lost friend.
She's my table, and I love her.

And when nobody else will play with you, you can always play with yourself :p

oldschool2791

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a home table and I go months without playing . But here is a logical way to look at it , If you don't play much and are buying the house larger just to add a table I think its a bad idea. If you are buying the house large enough anyway and have no obligations for the extra space I think its not a terrible idea even if not played on a lot . think of it as an investment . take your time and find a steal of a deal on a table that you know you can make money on if you decide not to play anymore.good luck ,

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The large room in the first house I bought is was sold me on the house. An 8 foot table was set up a couple weeks after I moved in. It was hard to practice alone, and I did not know anyone in the small town that would provide good competition. I ended up selling it two years later for $800 less than I paid for it. On a positive note, I did spend about $20 for Target Pool, which I did not use, and sold it recently for $80.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
The dangers of a home table:

Shooting balls with little purpose.

Practicing the wrong way or the wrong things.

Forgetting how to play in public and win.

Playing lazy pool.

There are more that I can't think of right now. Perhaps others can chime in.

Jeff Livingston

I don't see how any of these are specific to home tables. Maybe the "playing in public" one but if you practice alone (at home or a poolroom) you can still practice the wrong way, hit balls with little purpose, play lazy, etc.

In other words, regardless of where you practice you still need to compete against other people.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
How long before it pays off? I don't even understand what that means. Nothing pays off after you drop dead, it was all wasted. And everything pays off if you enjoy your time with it while you have it.

I'm retired, don't do a thing all day, :smile: Nothing but time. I have a 9' Gold Crown in my basement. I don't use it at all, not even one bit, unless a friend comes over to play some straight pool or one pocket, maybe 3 times a week. Its strange, I don't even have much desire to go out and play anymore. All the damned pool rooms open when I'm ready to go night night. :(

I get bored out of my mind if I even try to practice for 5 minutes down there, but regardless, I wouldn't be without the table for a second. I absolutely love the time I do get to play with friends or acquaintances.

We have considered moving, but I wouldn't even think of buying a house unless I could comfortably fit a 9' table in it.

Believe it or not, it's easier than you think lots of times to fit a 9' table. Steel plating can let you remove lally columns. Probably stronger than before. :) I have some photos of how I did it if you have any interest in adding room by removing a column.

I wouldn't be happy with anything less than a 9 foot table, I know I'd always be wishing I did it right to begin with. But ... that's me.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I don't see how any of these are specific to home tables. Maybe the "playing in public" one but if you practice alone (at home or a poolroom) you can still practice the wrong way, hit balls with little purpose, play lazy, etc.

In other words, regardless of where you practice you still need to compete against other people.

I posted that list because some were suggesting "shooting some balls" when having a short time period to do it. I think that is a mistake.

For example, I don't shoot without my shoes on, as that is how I must play in public, so I don't want to get used to shooting barefoot or in my slippers and not be able to perform in public.

I have a friend who just got a 1898 Brunswick. He was lazy in how he used it so I got him a book, some notes from my lessons, etc. and have taught him how to practice effectively, not just bang balls around. It has helped him improve.

Also, one can get so used to one's personal table that one can no longer play well on other equipment. Being able to perform on any equipment is a good skill to have. A home table can keep a player from practicing elsewhere and when it's time to compete on those other tables, that player can no longer do that.

Another problem might be the "furnace shot." That's the corner of the table where using a full cue is a problem, so a home table player can get to unconsciously avoid that part of the table and that, too, can less his competitiveness.

I hope that makes sense.

Jeff Livingston

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I work 50 hours a week, if not more. Tack on five 96 mile round trip drives to work taking up a total of 2-2.5 hours out of the day. All that adds up to rarely getting as much table time as I used to. I'll be buying a new house soon and hopefully we can find a house with room for even a seven footer, but I keep having thoughts that it might not be worth it.

How many of you play on your table at home consistently?

If you are a pool player asking is it worth it, it is not even a close call. There are so many factors to consider. There are the economical ones such as fuel savings traveling to a pool room as well as the direct cost of table time. Then there is the time you save. It is great getting home from work and taking a shower and unwinding at your pool table.

You share time with family in your home setting playing pool and relating to each other. This is not like just sitting in front of a TV and no one saying a word. As you play you will talk about a hundred things and spend some quality time together.

Then, at least for me, it is a sanctuary. I have gone to the pool table and hit balls for hours on some of the worst days on my life. From the death of family members to horrible world events it has always been a place of comfort for me. I could always some how get my thoughts together or get away from my thoughts just running racks 14.1.

I think the answer to your question is worth it? I is like the old Master Card commercial. The value of your table if you are a pool player is priceless in more ways then you have even considered. Heck, what can beat playing pool at 4am in the morning in your underwear when you can't sleep. Oh, and did I mention it will keep your game sharp.

Sorry for such a serious answer to your simple question but I am very sincere about what I said. If I can't have a pool table in my house I need a different house.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dangers of a home table:

Shooting balls with little purpose.

Practicing the wrong way or the wrong things.

Forgetting how to play in public and win.

Playing lazy pool.

There are more that I can't think of right now. Perhaps others can chime in.

Jeff Livingston
How about the shear joy of playing and shareing the game with your family and friends in your home. There was a time when you played for the joy of it and it was not looked at like a chore. Maybe finding ones way back and remembering why they took up playing in the first place needs to be remembered.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are a pool player it is not even a consideration. There are so many factors to consider. There are the economical ones such as fuel savings traveling to a pool room as well as the direct cost of table time. Then there is the time you save. It is great getting home from work and taking a shower and unwinding at your pool table.

You share time with family in your home setting playing pool and relating to each other. This is not like just sitting in front of a TV and no one saying a word. As you play you will talk about a hundred things and spend some quality time together.

Then, at least for me, it is a sanctuary. I have gone to the pool table and hit balls for hours on some of the worst days on my life. From the death of family members to horrible world events it has always been a place of comfort for me. I could always some how get my thoughts together or get away from my thoughts just running racks 14.1.

I think the answer to your question is worth it? I is like the old Master Card commercial. The value of your table if you are a pool player is priceless in more ways then you have even considered. Heck, what can beat playing pool at 4am in the morning in your underwear when you can't sleep.

Sorry for such a serious answer to your simple question but I am very sincere about what I said. If I can't have a pool table in my house I need a different house.

I may be an oddball, but I don't watch TV. An occasional movie now and then, but that's it. I'm usually leaving the house at 5:30am and getting home at 7:30pm. Then there is the job of cooking and getting anything else done. Take a shower and be in bed by 10pm. That's my normal Monday-Friday routine.

I see where having a table could fit in, but I'm trying to justify the cost when I can only put in hours during the weekend.

wineslob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if it sits in the garage like a $50,000 classic car, its nice knowing the table is there. And no matter how little you play now, you will certainly be playing more. For me it was living a dream....the best money I ever spent.

This and..

The payoff for me is seeing my kids playing on the table and passing on the game to them, worth every penny.

this.

I don't play nearly as much as last year when I got my table. There are some life-changes going on (job will disappear in Oct) and the neighbors that would come over are going through a divorce. Plus I fish, allot, so with the season here my time is at a premium.

yurdun4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer to your question is yes its worth it and yes it will pay off as long as you practice and dont just bang balls around. By the way, what answers did you think you were gonna get coming on az asking a bunch of pool junkies like myself if having a table at home is a good thing? If you wanted someone to say no you should of posted on better homes and gardens or something. I will tell you this, i love my 7ft diamond at home and if i thought i could get away with buying a 9 footer( which i have room for) without getting a divorce i would. So go spend and buy something nice and have a blast at home every night.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
If you want your home table to "pay off", rent it out while you're gone. Sounds like you've got a good 60 hours of time the table could be rented out.

Please make sure to clean the restrooms.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be an oddball, but I don't watch TV. An occasional movie now and then, but that's it. I'm usually leaving the house at 5:30am and getting home at 7:30pm. Then there is the job of cooking and getting anything else done. Take a shower and be in bed by 10pm. That's my normal Monday-Friday routine.

I see where having a table could fit in, but I'm trying to justify the cost when I can only put in hours during the weekend.

It doesn't sound like it is of any importance to you then. I don't have a pool in the back yard or tennis court. I could never justify such a purchase. It sounds like you don't need advice you already know the answer. But those of us who have tables, fine it more then worth it.

I actually do know what it is like not to have one. There has been a table in my house since I was a kid. You don't need a table it sounds like.
This is not a debate and no one is trying to impose their views on you. We are all different and have different priorities in life.

Just wondering, I hope this work schedule is not permeant. This is not normal, there is more to life then just working.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I`m not sure if the math in this equation is correct.
If your table costs $1000 and 1 hour at the pool hall costs $1 it will take 1000 hours, but in that equation the costs of the 300 square feet room, occupied by the pool table is not factored in. Here in Oslo where i live, that 300 square feet room would "cost" about $180.000
Prices might vary where you live...
So the actual cost of owning a pool table is higher than what you payed for the table.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't sound like it is of any importance to you then. I don't have a pool in the back yard or tennis court. I could never justify such a purchase. It sounds like you don't need advice you already know the answer. But those of us who have tables, fine it more then worth it.

I actually do know what it is like not to have one. There has been a table in my house since I was a kid. You don't need a table it sounds like.
This is not a debate and no one is trying to impose their views on you. We are all different and have different priorities in life.

Just wondering, I hope this work schedule is not permeant. This is not normal, there is more to life then just working.

My work schedule definitely isn't normal lol. It's only temporary while we have a huge workload. We've agreed as a group to no longer take Friday's off and work a minimum of 45 hours per week. While I'm making the OT and putting more towards the house, I'd like to get the extra room for a table.

If I only have the room for a seven footer, would it hurt my game?

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
Having a table at home is better than not having one. Period. Regardless of how much you plan to use or not use it. Before I started back playing again last spring, my table sat unused for probably 10+ years. Now I use it 3-4 times a week again.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your schedule is a lot like mine, and it's worth every penny getting a home table.

When you can just walk over and take 15 minutes for a drill or something like that, you'll find that even with your schedule you'll be getting in time on the table during the week, too. I don't usually get to play for long stretches (like 2-4 hours), so I grab what I can in little chunks.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Table is in my office. I use it every day. Just about every time some new shot or scenario is posted on AZB, I'm on my feet & trying to master that. I have a TV right next to it, so I can run my DVDs & practice what's being explained.

I'm a Pool Player & a businessman in the Pool Industry. It's what I am, so having somewhere to sleep is necessary. (I eat, sleep & talk Pool).

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your schedule is a lot like mine, and it's worth every penny getting a home table.

When you can just walk over and take 15 minutes for a drill or something like that, you'll find that even with your schedule you'll be getting in time on the table during the week, too. I don't usually get to play for long stretches (like 2-4 hours), so I grab what I can in little chunks.

I'm definitely leaning towards getting one. The wife already gave me permission, under the circumstances that we actually have room. I made the thread, because I was curious to see how much the AzB community used their tables.