White Table Lines

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious. What do they use to draw the white lines on the table such as at the World 9 Ball Championships? Are they simply 'soap' marks made with tailor's chalk, or something else? Anyone know for sure? I like the cross at the foot spot in particular for racking the balls. Was thinking about lobbying to get those types of marks when the tables here where we play are recovered soon. Much better than a small dot, or a 'spot' in my opinion, for getting a true, straight rack when playing against some folks that can't seem to rack in line with the table. Thanks in advance.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The lines are fine for getting a straight rack and I think the foot spot line
should go from the spot all the way to the foot rail. So not only the racker
can see it from the foot end of the table, but also the breaker from the
head end of the table. I also like the head string line.

You however don't want to go with no spot as the continual breaking drives
the head ball into the cloth every break and will put a hole in the cloth fairly
quickly without it.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I know about the spot. I know how it helps avoid table wear on the spot. I'm simply talking about not relying on it for a straight rack as opposed to the straight line where it's more obvious when the rack is off center.

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
marked lines

In Germany we always use lines for the head string, a little cross to mark the first ball and a line for the whole triangle (sometimes just the edges).

Cause nobody here likes a glued spot on the table.

The lines are drawn with a simple Edding, wether they are white or black (depending on the lightness of the blue coloured cloth).

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I'm curious. What do they use to draw the white lines on the table such as at the World 9 Ball Championships? Are they simply 'soap' marks made with tailor's chalk, or something else? Anyone know for sure? I like the cross at the foot spot in particular for racking the balls. Was thinking about lobbying to get those types of marks when the tables here where we play are recovered soon. Much better than a small dot, or a 'spot' in my opinion, for getting a true, straight rack when playing against some folks that can't seem to rack in line with the table. Thanks in advance.

I use a tailor's pencil for marking my table for straight pool. Michael's and Joanne's Fabrics carry them for about $2 each.