OB Rift Review

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My OB Rift Speed Break Cue arrived today. I got the wrapless and purchased the weight kit they sell for about $25 that includes a long allen wrench.

Nicely balanced and has a very solid feel. I played around with the weights a bit and found I got the best results with the biggest weight added. Not sure where that put it at but it must have been around 20 ounces. That weight screw goes waaaaaay in there so I need to experiment with the weight a bit more.

I previously had the old style OB break cue, the Samsara break cue and was using a 16 ounce Elite while I waited for the OB to become available. No question in my mind whatsoever, at least for me, the new OB Rift is the superior break cue of the four. I've hit with a BK2 and BK3, I definitely like the feel of the OB Rift better than either of those as well.

The results were the clincher. There's no question the phenolic tip adds some speed to the break. I was using the iPhone break speed app and found my best results overall was with the heavier weight and using a regular stroke with full follow through while still maintaining very good control. In other words, no jumping at it, just a regular stroke. I was consistently getting between 18.25 to 19.5 mph like this. This is slightly better speed than I was getting with my previous cues but I also felt like I was getting better control with the Rift. I broke half a dozen 8 ball racks as well, 2 on the head ball and 4 on second ball. Again, the resultant spread of balls and balls going in on the break was encouraging.

I also have the OB Lift Jump Cue after having used the Samsara J/B and the Predator Air II. Again, the Lift seemed superior, at least to me. I have multiple OB2 Plus shafts.

IMHO, OB is providing some nice product advances for the pool industry and makes a quality product as well. Top that off with "Made in America" as well as a seeming nice bunch of people and you have a company we all should support whenever possible. One of their vendors has a note to call me when they get in the OB 136.

To be absolutely clear, I have no financial interest or incentive from OB. I simply like their products a lot and wish to offer my opinion. YMMV.

Last edited:

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
very nice review and im gonna get the 136 when it comes out cant wait just wish i could see some real pics

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Many thanks for the review. I think I'll stay with my original OB Break cue for now since my technique/etc has more to do with my success (or lack thereof) than equipment does. I break at 17.5-18.5 and will get more value out of squatting the CB than I'll get from more speed.

BTW, I'm an OB2er also. It seems like the least popular OB shaft but it's just right for me, particularly in 30". I might treat myself to an OB2+ 30" but that would give me three OB2 shafts :grin:

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
Many thanks for the review. I think I'll stay with my original OB Break cue for now since my technique/etc has more to do with my success (or lack thereof) than equipment does. I break at 17.5-18.5 and will get more value out of squatting the CB than I'll get from more speed.

BTW, I'm an OB2er also. It seems like the least popular OB shaft but it's just right for me, particularly in 30". I might treat myself to an OB2+ 30" but that would give me three OB2 shafts :grin:

Actually, the OB-2+ is currently our best selling shaft (by a hair)!

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
My OB Rift Speed Break Cue arrived today. I got the wrapless and purchased the weight kit they sell for about $25 that includes a long allen wrench.

Nicely balanced and has a very solid feel. I played around with the weights a bit and found I got the best results with the biggest weight added. Not sure where that put it at but it must have been around 20 ounces. That weight screw goes waaaaaay in there so I need to experiment with the weight a bit more.

I previously had the old style OB break cue, the Samsara break cue and was using a 16 ounce Elite while I waited for the OB to become available. No question in my mind whatsoever, at least for me, the new OB Rift is the superior break cue of the four. I've hit with a BK2 and BK3, I definitely like the feel of the OB Rift better than either of those as well.

The results were the clincher. There's no question the phenolic tip adds some speed to the break. I was using the iPhone break speed app and found my best results overall was with the heavier weight and using a regular stroke with full follow through while still maintaining very good control. In other words, no jumping at it, just a regular stroke. I was consistently getting between 18.25 to 19.5 mph like this. This is slightly better speed than I was getting with my previous cues but I also felt like I was getting better control with the Rift. I broke half a dozen 8 ball racks as well, 2 on the head ball and 4 on second ball. Again, the resultant spread of balls and balls going in on the break was encouraging.

I also have the OB Lift Jump Cue after having used the Samsara J/B and the Predator Air II. Again, the Lift seemed superior, at least to me. I have multiple OB2 Plus shafts.

IMHO, OB is providing some nice product advances for the pool industry and makes a quality product as well. Top that off with "Made in America" as well as a seeming nice bunch of people and you have a company we all should support whenever possible. One of their vendors has a note to call me when they get in the OB 136.

To be absolutely clear, I have no financial interest or incentive from OB. I simply like their products a lot and wish to offer my opinion. YMMV.

Great review, glad to hear that you like the Rift. We are really happy with how it came out and how it performs!

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Actually, the OB-2+ is currently our best selling shaft (by a hair)!

Thanks for the correction Shane. That is really surprising since most of the For Sale listings seem to include the Classic Pro, so I assumed it was the biggest seller (or the OB1 since it seems to be the "standard" maybe chosen by first time users). Goes to show you can't make assumptions!

Needing weight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with predator everything. Playing cue. Break cue. Jump cue. Case.

I'm happy with all of their products. I think I play well and have improved much with their products.

But damn I wish it was made in America.

I get jealous every time I hear these rave reviews of a Texas product.

Maybe someday I'll try to switch over. Not any time soon tho... :-/

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got mine from Seyberts. They got them in on Monday morning.

Oh thanks! I didn't see them on the there website.

I never liked a wrap on a break cue, I am wondering how much the rubber wrap muffles the sound and vibration?

Last edited:

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too recently purchased an OB Rift. I haven't been this happy with a break cue since my BK2. This is a winner!!! Can't wait to pick up the Lift as well !

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've also got the lift pro and absolutely love it. i've gotten out of more tough spots with that jump cue than any other one i've ever picked up. i feel like i make a lot more jump shots than i used to with my old jump cue as well. great products, and i can't wait to pick up a rift when i get a chance.

lewisspires

Hopeful Champion
I've been using OB cues for about 2 years now and IMHO there is no better shooting cue for the money.

OB's old break shaft seemed sub-par to me and the product quality didn't match the quality of all of their playing shafts.

That being said, I got the privilege to break with the Rift in Vegas last year and instantly fell in love. I purchased one immediately after they went up for sale and waited patiently for it to come in. In November it showed up and I was ecstatic.

Due to an error somewhere, the cue was delivered with the Speed shaft with the layered phenolic tip and ivoreene ferrule, instead of the Control shaft with the Samsara tip, wood ferrule and different taper. I decided to try it anyway because I had waited so long and I didn't want to be without a break cue any longer.

My breaks are normally on the verge of 30 mph, so speed wasn't a necessity and its much harder to properly control a ball with a tip made of resin vs leather. Shortly after I made an unexpected early morning trip to Plano, TX to the OB office, explained to them the situation and they immediately replaced the speed shaft with the control shaft. Doc and Owen were extremely nice, understanding and respectful to me and made it worth the 250 mile trip.

I went back to my hometown pool hall, Skinny Bob's Billiards, and fell in love all over again. 5 breaks in and I felt likeI had been breaking with this cue all my life. I was leaving the cue ball anywhere on the table I wanted it to go. The wood ferrule and Samsara tip along with the 3/8 x 10 pin made the cue feel as if I was shooting with a regular player that had a hard tip.

Last week a friend of mine had the opportunity to break with it and paid me full price for the cue, he liked it so much that he bought my cue and put his brand new BK3 back in the case. I went to my local OB dealer and bought another OB Rift with a control shaft, and was able to upgrade to the wrapped version.

Long story short: There is no other break cue on the planet that makes you feel as powerful and good as this break cue will. The team at OB, and their line of cues, it's second to NONE.