Shaft Dip™ for stabilizing

buell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dose anyone have expierneces with the Shaft Dip for stabilizing wood
is it good for deep penetrating the wood?
and can it be used in a vac chamber also?

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dose anyone have expierneces with the Shaft Dip for stabilizing wood
is it good for deep penetrating the wood?
and can it be used in a vac chamber also?

It is deep penetrating but how deep did you want to go? It works fine on 1" and smaller dowels. You can use it in a vacuum but why? We apply it to thousands of shafts and hand apply it. No need for a vacuum set-up.

Shaft Dip™ is not an acrylic stabilizer and will NOT give the wood that hard plastic look and feel; if that's what you're looking for.

Shaft Dip™ is the best solution for shaft and wood stabilization/protection in the market. Forget Nelsonite and Resolute™! Shaft Dip™ is a water based, very low viscosity liquid that is formulated to deeply penetrate the wood surface/fibers and it's environmentally friendly.

C'mon, this is too good to be true. Is this all possible?! A product that stabilizes and protects the wood, is earth friendly, has full penetration capability, is odorless, colorless and I can apply it with a sponge (with a glove on of course)?

The answer is an unequivocal, YES! And, it strengthens the wood as well.

It maintains the stability and improves the structure. It is colorless (totally transparent) so it will not tone the wood what-so-ever.

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds great

Hope I read this right, you have a shaft dip that I can apply with a sponge or paper towel that will go all the way into a shafts center?

I want some, sounds like a great product.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope I read this right, you have a shaft dip that I can apply with a sponge or paper towel that will go all the way into a shafts center?

I want some, sounds like a great product.

I'll address this post in detail on Sunday or Monday. I wish everyone a great weekend.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft Dip™ is a great product but it's not a miracle product. I don't know where anyone got the idea that it will penetrate to the center of a 1" dowel but why would anyone want to seal a 1" dowel?

We use it as follows: when the shaft is down to .750 at the business end, we seal them. We then seal it again when down to .575 and lastly at final. Does it penetrate? Yes, it does. You can use a tank or sponge it on as we do for deep penetration.

Here's what we do:
Get a large bowl and fill with about a quart of Shaft Dip™. Put one end of the dowel in the bowl. With your other hand dip the sponge in the liquid and sponge all along the shaft. Set aside and move on to the next. It's fast and easy doing it in this manner.

Hope this helps.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shaft Dip™ is a great product but it's not a miracle product. I don't know where anyone got the idea that it will penetrate to the center of a 1" dowel but why would anyone want to seal a 1" dowel?

We use it as follows: when the shaft is down to .750 at the business end, we seal them. We then seal it again when down to .575 and lastly at final. Does it penetrate? Yes, it does. You can use a tank or sponge it on as we do for deep penetration.

Here's what we do:
Get a large bowl and fill with about a quart of Shaft Dip™. Put one end of the dowel in the bowl. With your other hand dip the sponge in the liquid and sponge all along the shaft. Set aside and move on to the next. It's fast and easy doing it in this manner.

Hope this helps.
Here is another trick I think should be done with Joe's shaft dip. Before you start turning your shafts, take and pour some shaft dip into a pan a couple of inches deep. Then take a handfull of shaft dowels and put the ends down in it. Let them soak it up for a minute or so. Then flip them over and let the other ends soak for a minute or so. This seals the end grain which is where your shaft will take on the most moisture from. This will help your shafts stay more stable through out the turning process. I don't bother dipping again until down to size, although it does not hurt to spounge them a couple of times.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft dip

I'm a believer of the shaft dip and also__________hmmmmm forgot :)

Mario