Question about OB Classic+ and OB-1+

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've found (and read) quite a bit about OB shafts here on AZBilliards, but I'm confused about a few things and am really hoping that people will post comments here that will resolve that confusion.

First: I'm planning to buy one of the following three shafts this week: either an OB-1+, an OB Classic+, or a Predator 314-2.
Second: I do NOT have the opportunity to try these specific OB cues/shafts prior to purchase.

Okay. So what I'm confused about concerns:

(a) Deflection: Specifically, does the Classic+ deflect more than the OB-1+. Several older posts said the original Classic deflected more, but I'm wondering if that has changed with the newer Classic+. I read something that suggested that OB may have put that same core (from the OB-1+) into the new Classic+, but I don't know if that's true or if it affects (reduces) deflection to make it more like the OB-1+.

(b) Hit: One review I encountered said that, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is the softest, and 10 is the hardest, the OB-1+ is a 4 and the 314-2 is a 6. I don't know if that is the experience of others who have played with both, nor where the Classic+ would fit in on such a reference-point scale. So if you have played with these shafts, please let me know what you think. If the OB-1+ is a 4 and the Predator 314-2 is a 6, is the Classic+ a 5? or a 6? Or??? Is the Classic+ a softer hit than the Predator? Is the difference (softness to hardness) that small between the 314-2 and the OB-1+ and/or Classic+?

Any and all comments will be appreciated.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Classic+ should be easily at 7 or 8 of stiffness scale, in exchange of more deflection of course. you can't have both at the same time.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Classic+ is pretty crisp feeling and lower def. than original Classic. Much smoother feeling also. Great shaft.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it would help you can call the OB guys right in their office. The number should be on the web page or in their AZB signatures.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it would help you can call the OB guys right in their office. The number should be on the web page or in their AZB signatures.
I tried calling today. Got a recording, because today is Sunday and they are closed. So I'm going to call back tomorrow.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Classic+ is pretty crisp feeling and lower def. than original Classic. Much smoother feeling also. Great shaft.

Thanks for this input. "Smoother feeling" sounds good. And lower deflection than their original Classic is good to know too. However, is it as low as their OB-1+?

Zieglermt

Registered
I literally just logged on wanting to know the answer to this exact question. Personally, if feel is important to you I'd just focus on the OBs. Predators lack feel in my experience, and my Z2 hits pretty weak IMO. I also realize the 314 is very different but I wasn't that impressed when I tried my friend's out a while back. This is why I am selling my pred sneaky. And I've been looking at the OB classic+. I've been looking for a stiffer hitting LD cue that doesn't lack feel and people have been telling me the classic is the way to go. I don't know if that helps at all, but I do know the classic+ will definitely have slightly higher deflection over the OB1+ but I have no idea how noticeable it would be. So I guess what I'm saying is BUMP :thumbup: I'm sure somebody on here has experience with the new line of OB's shafts.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suggest you leave a message. There is a major ice storm moving into Dallas tonight. The roads might be impassable until Tuesday afternoon. They might not be in the office tomorrow, but could still call you back

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've hit both and only difference i could tell was sound-firmness of hit. Classic+ feels much like a standard shaft. OB1+ is much softer and quieter. As far as deflection i personally couldn't see a difference. Biggest plus,at least for me, is using inside english. Both shafts make using inside easier. The new construction also yields a smoother finish. One man's take, hope it helps.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played today with both my OB Classic and my OB Classic+1. I really prefer the feel
of the +1. Don't think you can go wrong with either but there definately is a difference.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about the +, but the original OB-Classic was very noticeably more deflecting than OB-1. As for the feel, OB-1 and Classic didn't offer anymore feel than 314^2. Why would they, similar construction philosophy. That may have changed with the '+', although I doubt it.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:)

Well, if you want more deflection, pick the OB shaft.

If you want less deflection, pick the Predator shaft.

None of that matters. I've never heard of anyone missing

a shot because of too much or too little deflection.

The tip is really something that matters and what millimeter shaft you like.

Fat or skinny......

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The tip is really something that matters.

Yeah right, just change cues and use English, takes time to adjust.

BTW. OB1 and 314^2 are same in deflection department.

Zieglermt

Registered
I don't know about the +, but the original OB-Classic was very noticeably more deflecting than OB-1. As for the feel, OB-1 and Classic didn't offer anymore feel than 314^2. Why would they, similar construction philosophy. That may have changed with the '+', although I doubt it.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but the classic doesn't have a hollowed out core in the front end like the 314 does. So the classic would hit more solid in theory, and therefore might have a more crisp feel.

Last edited:

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but the classic doesn't have a hollowed out core in the front end like the 314 does. So the classic would hit more solid in theory, and therefore might have a more crisp feel.

I'm talking about original shafts not "+", nothing crisp about the hit of OB-Classic, it's a thud. I have it on one of my cues. If you want crisp hit that's Mezz WD700, but more deflection than OB's and Predator.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The tip is really something that matters and what millimeter shaft you like.

Fat or skinny.....

Well, I guess I'm the first person you're going to hear of who has missed shots due to too much deflection. My experience, as little as it is, has been that one has to compensate for deflection when using english, particularly on long thin cut shots. So, me...? Yep, I've missed shots when I didn't compensate for deflection correctly. That's actually the main reason why I'm interested in these low deflection shafts. I DON'T think a shaft will cause me to make more or less shots. But I DO think that having to compensate less for deflection will affect aiming, and that sounds like something I would personally like.

Also, regarding the deflection properties of the shafts I am asking about, I have heard, repeatedly, that the OB-1+ and 314-2 are pretty much the same when it comes to deflection. I am trying to gauge, based on the experience of those who have used them, how the OB Classic + compares to these two.

Lastly, you asked a good question as far as what kind of diameter I prefer. I currently use a 12.75mm and all three of the shafts I asked about are 12.75mm shafts. So, I prefer a 12.75mm diameter, though I would also like one SLIGHTLY smaller; say 12.5. I own one shaft that is much thinner (11.5) and don't really like shooting with it. I'm not sure why, but the 12.75mm feels good to me.

cpcntr

Registered
Can't say about +1/classic, 314-2, but as i know (and can be wrong) the difference between 314-2 &/+classic and z-2/+pro is only a tip diameter(and a taper). Ive made some tests with z-2 and ob + pro and as for my personal feelings, ob+ pro have a bit less deflection and a bit more feedback than z-2.

About ob+1/ob +classic difference, wood laminated ferrule of +1 is a bit lighter and softer than plastic ferrule of +classic, so ull get a bit less deflection and softer hit with ob+1 in theory

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've found (and read) quite a bit about OB shafts here on AZBilliards, but I'm confused about a few things and am really hoping that people will post comments here that will resolve that confusion.

First: I'm planning to buy one of the following three shafts this week: either an OB-1+, an OB Classic+, or a Predator 314-2.
Second: I do NOT have the opportunity to try these specific OB cues/shafts prior to purchase.

Okay. So what I'm confused about concerns:

(a) Deflection: Specifically, does the Classic+ deflect more than the OB-1+. Several older posts said the original Classic deflected more, but I'm wondering if that has changed with the newer Classic+. I read something that suggested that OB may have put that same core (from the OB-1+) into the new Classic+, but I don't know if that's true or if it affects (reduces) deflection to make it more like the OB-1+.

(b) Hit: One review I encountered said that, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is the softest, and 10 is the hardest, the OB-1+ is a 4 and the 314-2 is a 6. I don't know if that is the experience of others who have played with both, nor where the Classic+ would fit in on such a reference-point scale. So if you have played with these shafts, please let me know what you think. If the OB-1+ is a 4 and the Predator 314-2 is a 6, is the Classic+ a 5? or a 6? Or??? Is the Classic+ a softer hit than the Predator? Is the difference (softness to hardness) that small between the 314-2 and the OB-1+ and/or Classic+?

Any and all comments will be appreciated.
http://www.obcues.com/categories/OB-Plus-Shafts/
according to the website both are "low deflection"
whereas smaller shaft size versions ob+2 and ob + pro
are ultra low deflection
if there is a small difference between the 2 you are considering i dont think it will matter
your hit preference is what i would use as a priority
jmho
icbw

Last edited:

Zieglermt

Registered
Also, regarding the deflection properties of the shafts I am asking about, I have heard, repeatedly, that the OB-1+ and 314-2 are pretty much the same when it comes to deflection. I am trying to gauge, based on the experience of those who have used them, how the OB Classic + compares to these two.

Lastly, you asked a good question as far as what kind of diameter I prefer. I currently use a 12.75mm and all three of the shafts I asked about are 12.75mm shafts. So, I prefer a 12.75mm diameter, though I would also like one SLIGHTLY smaller; say 12.5. I own one shaft that is much thinner (11.5) and don't really like shooting with it. I'm not sure why, but the 12.75mm feels good to me.

I hope you get your answer about the classic+ as this is the same question I've had on my mind for a while too. If you want a more solid feeling 12.5 shaft that offers low deflection and good feedback you should check out the Mezz collection. If I could afford one I'd get one in a heart beat. From what it sounds like you might be interested in the Mezz Hybrid Pro 2.

But personally, I'd stay away form the 314 unless you are good at gauging distances with your ball control, because predator's feedback is lacking majorly IMHO. A 6 isn't bad on the hard hit scale but I am looking for a slightly harder hit that I can also feel, which kinda sounds like what you're searching for as well. But I think I am going to go for the classic+ personally. If I were you I'd definitely check out that Hybrid pro II, kinda like a 314 that is .25mm smaller and has better feel. Digressing now:

If anyone has any experience or information not yet talked about on this thread regarding the OB classic+ Lou and I would greatly appreciate it :)