Question about OB Classic+ and OB-1+

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but the classic doesn't have a hollowed out core in the front end like the 314 does. So the classic would hit more solid in theory, and therefore might have a more crisp feel.

All OB's have a hollow front end of the shaft. With the OB1 and 2, the hollow extends all the way through the shaft to the joint. All but the last 5 or 6 inches is then filled with a silicone type rubbery core to dampen vibration. I believe the Classic and the Pro only have the hollow at the end and are otherwise solid the rest of the way through. This is how it *was* and I'm pretty sure of it.

Now that they transitioned to the + shafts, I don't know if any of this is still accurate. I would imagine it is.

KMRUNOUT

Zieglermt

Registered
All OB's have a hollow front end of the shaft. With the OB1 and 2, the hollow extends all the way through the shaft to the joint. All but the last 5 or 6 inches is then filled with a silicone type rubbery core to dampen vibration. I believe the Classic and the Pro only have the hollow at the end and are otherwise solid the rest of the way through. This is how it *was* and I'm pretty sure of it.

Now that they transitioned to the + shafts, I don't know if any of this is still accurate. I would imagine it is.

KMRUNOUT

Yeah that is my understanding as well about the OB 1&2 but I am thinking the classic is solid the whole way through with the carbon fiber pad at the front of the ferrule. Anyone who knows for sure you're definitely welcome to speak up.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I've had all the shafts u posted and I have too say the best is the Classic + the ob1+ and classic + are pretty close u will be very happy with it I used the old classic for couple years and will be going too new + its lower deflection and better hit and feel just sound hiting the ball is better the classic + is a lot better then the 314-2 hit feel and deflection just get the ob u will be happy let us know what u go with

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had all the shafts u posted and I have too say the best is the Classic + the ob1+ and classic + are pretty close u will be very happy with it I used the old classic for couple years and will be going too new + its lower deflection and better hit and feel just sound hiting the ball is better the classic + is a lot better then the 314-2 hit feel and deflection just get the ob u will be happy let us know what u go with

Thanks Busboy! Your comments are encouraging. I'm not sure how else to phrase that. I read it and really appreciate where you're coming from. Straightforward and very down to earth. You played with all these shafts; you know what you like; you know why you like it. And that helps.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Thanks Busboy! Your comments are encouraging. I'm not sure how else to phrase that. I read it and really appreciate where you're coming from. Straightforward and very down to earth. You played with all these shafts; you know what you like; you know why you like it. And that helps.

Btw I meant too say the OB1+ and OB Classic+ are close in deflection as far as hit the classic+ is more firm more feel and feed back anyway hope u like whatever u go with

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:sorry:

Doesn't matter what shaft you play with...deflection is so little

that it just doesn't matter. Deflection is so over rated.

It's not going to make a difference. The right tip and right

hit is the only thing that should be a concern.

Kind of funny because a lot of people will get a new shaft, then

have the tip changed after a couple months.:wink:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, you're going to have to hit a few of these. No offense, but all these "whats the best" threads are like asking what's the best beer-scotch-cigar etc. All answers are subjective in nature.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, you're going to have to hit a few of these. No offense, but all these "whats the best" threads are like asking what's the best beer-scotch-cigar etc. All answers are subjective in nature.

Hmm...
the best beer? Cold.
the best scotch? Whatever I happen to have in my liquor cabinet.
the best cigar? Ah, now that's a tough one.

But seriously, I wasn't really trying to go for a "what's the best...? thread. I was trying to get some hopefully-helpful info from people who have played with these specific three shafts because I do not have the opportunity to try the OB shafts at all before buying them. None of the pool halls I play at have them on hand and I don't know anyone who has (or has ever had) one. So I reached out on this site. I really wish I could try them out in person. That would make life so much simpler.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah that is my understanding as well about the OB 1&2 but I am thinking the classic is solid the whole way through with the carbon fiber pad at the front of the ferrule. Anyone who knows for sure you're definitely welcome to speak up.

I spoke with someone at OB Cues today, so here's the deal on the core on these two shafts.

The OB Classic + has a foam core in the first five inches from the tip/ferrule down; the next 24 inches from there to the joint is solid wood.

The OB-1+ has the same foam core in the first five inches, then the next 24 inches has a silicone rubber core.

And, like I said, I got that from someone who works at OB Cues today.

poQet trainer

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
Silver Member
You won't believe me but I think that players HXT shafts play better than all of them. I've owned them all at one point or another and I swear to god the 100$ shaft is better. This is all subjective but I think the OB is too stiff and the 314 all warp. The tip is a huge player in the equation and I would say the kamui soft that comes with the HXT is perfect. I have an OB+ classic pro 5/16x18 I'm looking to sell if you're intersted.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know for sure, as I said in my previous post. The Classic and Pro (I am NOT talking about the + models), definitely have a hollow front end. The difference is that the *remainder* of the shaft is solid. This creates a bit more crisp hit and more vibration (which is essentially what "feel" is).

All OB shafts have a carbon fiber pad. The new + models of the Classic and the Pro have the pad concealed in the end of the ferrule. All other models have it very obviously between the tip and the ferrule.

If the shafts didn't have a hollow section at the tip end, they wouldn't really be low deflection.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with someone at OB Cues today, so here's the deal on the core on these two shafts.

The OB Classic + has a foam core in the first five inches from the tip/ferrule down; the next 24 inches from there to the joint is solid wood.

The OB-1+ has the same foam core in the first five inches, then the next 24 inches has a silicone rubber core.

And, like I said, I got that from someone who works at OB Cues today.

You also got it from me a few posts back ;-)

KMRUNOUT <----has spent LOTS of time talking cues with Royce from OB.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people gave me some really helpful information and I am grateful. I just wanted to let you all know that I ordered an OB Classic +. I had the replace the stock tip with a Kamui Clear Black Soft. I am waiting for it to arrive. I can't wait! :) Thank you all for being so helpful.

ronlovespool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You won't believe me but I think that players HXT shafts play better than all of them. I've owned them all at one point or another and I swear to god the 100$ shaft is better. This is all subjective but I think the OB is too stiff and the 314 all warp. The tip is a huge player in the equation and I would say the kamui soft that comes with the HXT is perfect. I have an OB+ classic pro 5/16x18 I'm looking to sell if you're intersted.

How much you want for the shaft?

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got it! :)
My new OB Classic+ arrived!
I haven't tried it out yet; planning to do that this weekend! Can't wait!
But first impressions are: this is a VERY well made product. OB shafts have six pieces, but try as I might, I can not see any lines or hints of lines indicating that this started out as multiple pieces. The finish is perfect, and it feels very light. It definitely feels lighter, especially at the front, than my G-core shaft. Of course, it should feel lighter, especially at the front, because of the different technology. But it looks and feels fantastic. I can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Thanks again, everyone, for all your helpful comments.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had this shaft for a little over a week now, and have played quite a bit with it. It is awesome! I love everything about it!

Thanks again to everyone for all their comments.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had this shaft for a little over a week now, and have played quite a bit with it. It is awesome! I love everything about it!

Thanks again to everyone for all their comments.

Great to hear. I think OB has the best thing going right now. Very nice build quality and top tier playability.

Good for you!!

KMRUNOUT