I don't consider pool on a bar table to be pool

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin is an icon of the game and we all appreciate his efforts but as much as I love to watch world class pool I will not be going to the pro CSI events at the Rio, although it's an easy drive for me since I live in Phoenix, because I can't stand pro level players playing on a seven foot table. To me this is a joke. The ability to shoot at distance is what separates the men from the boys. Make that 12 foot shot on the Bigfoot pal, let me see what you've got.

It's either break and run out or break and be snookered. Why is Efren not the dominate force he used to be, because it can't make the long ball anymore on a consistent basis. That's what pool is all about.

How do others feel about this? My view is 9 foot is fine, 10 foot even better.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin is an icon of the game and we all appreciate his efforts but as much as I love to watch world class pool I will not be going to the pro CSI events at the Rio, although it's an easy drive for me since I live in Phoenix, because I can't stand pro level players playing on a seven foot table. To me this is a joke. The ability to shoot at distance is what separates the men from the boys. Make that 12 foot shot on the Bigfoot pal, let me see what you've got.

It's either break and run out or break and be snookered. Why is Efren not the dominate force he used to be, because it can't make the long ball anymore on a consistent basis. That's what pool is all about.

Then don't go. One of the best things about pool is, it can be played in so many different aspects. From table size, to all the different games you can play. Something for everybody

Also with the provocative title this thread will be 5 pages by the end of the day.

Last edited:

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

+1. FWIW, I asked Earl about this, and he feels the same. Some of the greats from the past generation told him that the 7-foot table would be the death of the game.

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I must say that while scouring youtube for matches to watch, I generally skip over any barbox matches because it is just not that fun to watch.

On the flipside though, I find playing pool on 7ft tables to be very enjoyable.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1. FWIW, I asked Earl about this, and he feels the same. Some of the greats from the past generation told him that the 7-foot table would be the death of the game.

The small table was the saviour of the game. Without it pool would just be a memory. Like it or not, you have to give credit where credit is due.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I must say that while scouring youtube for matches to watch, I generally skip over any barbox matches because it is just not that fun to watch.

On the flipside though, I find playing pool on 7ft tables to be very enjoyable.

Same here on both the watch and play aspects.

I also agree that barboxes are one of the few things that have kept pool alive with the general public. Not because they're fun to watch (the public does not watch pool...even when it's freely available to them), but because it's the only size that makes any economic sense in a bar and often in a home.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I don't consider pool on a bar table to be pool"

That is your prerogative. Don't know what you expect us to do about it.
In the meantime maybe you could not use the word pool to describe an event
you don't consider to be pool.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seven foot table means you have less space for things to spread out and have to work around alot more clusters and play tighter shape. So position players have an advantage. Where as on the larger table the shot maker has the advantage. Practice your shape playing and cluster breaking and maybe you will come to appreciate the seven footers.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

I think league play could very well be the main cause for pool rooms closing across the nation.

The casual player, & there were/are very very many of them, are now playing once a week (or more) on coin tables in bars instead of going to a hall every now & then, say 2 or maybe 3 times a month.

Well, I guess league & small coin tables in bars are co-conspirators.

I think perhaps someone like Mark Griffin could put together a league of 8 &/or 9 foot non-coin table leagues across the nation to help the halls that are left & perhaps maybe foster an interest for some to maybe open a new hall.

The game on the small coin table is certainly not the same but does require a different skill below the pro level.

I think there is room for both but it would probably take from one to build up the other & why should the league owners do that.

It's almost always about the money, follow the money.

The game of old has been 'raped' & changed into a 'prostitute' of sorts.

The game needs a truly very rich philanthropist to hold some prominent tournaments on 9 foot tables.

Maybe a US Amateur & a US Pro back to back. The Pros play first & then the Amateurs right after.

Just my thoughts. I know there will be many that disagree or take umbrage.

I'm just expressing my opinion based on learning on the big hall tables & then playing many a league on the small coin tables.

One also needs to keep in mind the agenda of leagues which is to keep the non hooked non lifelong player from quitting the game & to bring in new 'low level' players. I know some of 'those issues' have sort of been addressed in certain instances but that is still the main agenda.

Like I said, follow the money.

Best 2 All,
Rick

PS No need to quote me as I am not engaging in any back & forth. I've just thrown out my thought for consideration.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I don't think it's the size of the table that matters, but the size of the man's heart who's playing on that table. As a matter of fact if that man doesn't have a heart he can't play at all. He'd be dead. And. if you're dead, it doesn't matter what size the table is, does it?

That's it for me. I'm off to the pool hall for some One Pocket. :smile:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I do find it hard to sleep comfortably on a bar box table so I'm conflicted about the whole issue.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The small table was the saviour of the game. Without it pool would just be a memory. Like it or not, you have to give credit where credit is due.

Depends on what you mean. All those bar and league players on 7 footers have not helped billiards get a solid pro tour or good wages for the pros. Neither did it help all those pool rooms from closing after the smoking ban went into effect and video games caused kids to stay home more.

Jayson Shaw posted on Facebook, and I quote "I can whip out my d**k and use it run out the balls in on a 7 foot table". Not a lot of endorcement for a pro event on 7 footers hehe.

Although pool on a 7 footer could be counted as a separate animal like 9 ball / 8 ball / 1 pocket /etc... are. So it works a different skill set but should not be lumped into the general pool category but rather it's own thing. Something like the Chinese 8 Ball tables and tournaments, they are not just an 8 ball tournament, you need something different to play that game, so goes the bar box play.

If someone only played pool on a 7 footer, by choice, I would not think of them as a "real" player unless they also at least went over to a 9 footer every so often and not just tried it once, thought it was too hard and went back to the bar tables.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I don't consider pool on a bar table to be pool

Having grown up with the game in pool halls and not bars I didn't think so either. I was wrong. It's different and I much prefer the big track, but it's pool.

rookie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the biggest problems in pool all the division. This is a great sport on a seven, eight or ninefoot table. Big tables have there challenges but the small ones do as well.

We all have our preferences I personally hate nineball. Break and run out has become all to common regardless of it being played on seven or nine footer.

Pool is pool I love the game regardless of the table size. Have a good one all!

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the OP. It's like watching tennis for years, and now all you can find is ping pong!

Banks

Banned
Jayson Shaw posted on Facebook, and I quote "I can whip out my d**k and use it run out the balls in on a 7 foot table". Not a lot of endorcement for a pro event on 7 footers hehe.

Losing 7-2 to Josh Roberts in Oregon last month, maybe that's how it happened. :boring2:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I play almost exclusively on 9 footers and I have to say it's a more enjoyable game on a 9 footer. I just played in two tournaments on diamond bar boxes specifically to prepare for the Expo. It is incredibly easy to go from a 9 footer to a 7 footer albeit the Diamond makes it a much softer game. However a softer game is often required on a 9 footer for may shots too. I don't think it is very easy to go from a 7 to 9 foot though. On a 9 footer I feel like I can let my stroke out. Unfortunately the 7 foot table is keeping the game alive in the bars where everyone seems to be playing these days including the young players. I'll stay in the poolrooms with the 9 footers thank you. Better atmosphere for me. Better competition too.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I don't like playing in bars..drunks, loud TV's or Juke boxes just ruin the game for me.
But..bar table pool takes a skill set all of it's own...check out Lenny's vids of the Chinook Winds open. Bar table pool can be entertaining to watch.