The Legend of " Little L ".

Green Hornet

Registered
Lazaro Martinez put on the most entertaining match that occurred during the recently completed BCAPL/USAPL Nationals.

There was a Juniors event as well. I believe it was also a Junior National qualifier. Which as I write that BEF Junior Nationals is probably coming to conclusion.

The Final for the 14 and under was for the ages! The match pitted an incredibly talented 14yr. old Ricky Evans, who last November went to Shanghai, China to play in the WPBA World Junior Championships, vs. an 8yr. old Lazaro "Little L" Martinez from around San Antonio, TX.

Just prior to this I witnessed a match between Lazaro and his brother Gabriel Martinez III. Both are I believe 8yrs old. Watching them play took me back to first seeing Landon Shuffet play as an 8yr. old at the Derby City Classic. The brothers may have went Hill/Hill. During that match, Lazaro broke and ran a rack to impress me. I want his brother, Gabriel, to know that he is an exceptional player as well. I bet he wins his share of games versus his brother at home. As a III myself, I only wish I could have made my dad and grandpa as proud as you made yours. Keep playing Bro's.

Back to Finals, Laz was dazzling the crowd with his steely nerves. When a runout wasn't possible, I witnessed "Little L" exhibit at least two incredible safeties that got him to that Hill/Hill Finale. Both players you know love running out as they are literally very capable. But Lazaro's decision to play safe twice was mind boggling. On the final rack, Lazaro Martinez saved his best for last. When faced with a back-cut bank on the one-ball, he displayed the confidence of a champion. He made the shot and then went on to run the rack out for the title. Nerves? Not a problem, he probably doesn't even know what nerves are. The crowd,myself included went absolutely nuts. I couldn't help shouting out "Yeah Laz" and clapping as loud as I could. The crowd response was phenomenal. Sorry Toasty and Dennis.

Another shout out to the losing player. Ricky Evans will no doubt be playing in the Atlantic Cup Challenge before it's said and done. He might even be playing a rematch right now against "Lil L" for the BEF Nationals Title. Ricky gave nothing but kudos to Lazaro after the match. He said Laz ran the the last rack like an A player. Some pros should watch how Ricky dealt with loss during his interview after the match. This kid has more class at 14 than most. Also of note is that Ricky had to win 5 games to 3 due to age difference. Keep playing, please.

I highly recommend everyone checking the match out when CSI releases it on their You Tube channel.

For everyone criticizing Robert "Cotton" LeBlanc and Jay Helfert, listen to their commentary during that match and tell me these are not men who love the game of pool. Both are a treasure trove to the pool world. Jay Helfert also donated $100 to the winner to help with expenses. Not many people have done that.

Share the link to this match when it becomes available. I want to see this match become the most watched of all the CSI videos.

Lazaro and his brother Gabriel, as well as Ricky Evans could have a bright future in our sport. We need to come together and have more events for the Juniors.

The legend of "Little L" will never be forgotten. It has officially been burned into the minds of all who have seen and will soon see. Lazaro and his brother seemed to have big group of supporters. What a great example to the world of how great this game of pool really can be.

Thanks to everyone at CSI for putting on one of the greatest pool tournaments in the world. I'll be a lifelong supporter.

Another correction of note. The B.E.F. Junior Nationals starts today(8/4/2105). Tune in for free and watch for Ricky, Lazaro, and many more.

John H. Baker III

Last edited:

BuddyWing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw this match also and everything you said was
100% true ....
GREAT match for the kids...

bobbycotton

PoolHall Junkie
Silver Member
Thanks for the nice comment and I was soooo excited sweating that match ! I was on the edge om my chair when "lil l" was running out. His opponent also played a great match as well :)

Green Hornet

Registered
Let's make that the The Legend Of "Lil L".

Thanks for the nice comment and I was soooo excited sweating that match ! I was on the edge om my chair when "lil l" was running out. His opponent also played a great match as well :)

Yeah Bobby your right " Lil L " sounds better. I hope to see you next year.

LadyV

Pistol Perez
Silver Member
Lil laz

Watch robert leblac tear up from watching him play was amazing.. I love being part of these boys lives cz their parents let me .. I am very proud of them.. They both did amazing cant wait to watch them grow in the pool world.. Pistol perez

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
They got a little attention from all of us.
Nice to hear that they are competing and have good instincts for the game. Look forward to watching the match.

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
They got a little attention from all of us.
Nice to hear that they are competing and have good instincts for the game. Look forward to watching the match.

They sure did. I also found them to be polite and respectful around the tables as well.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Their dad has played in a bunch of my local events and can dab it himself. He goes on the charts as Lazer.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When this comes up in YouTube, please share the link in this thread, a must see match it seems to be :wink:

Green Hornet

Registered
The B.E.F. Junior Nationals start today(8/04/2015). Tune in and look for the soon to be Legend LAZ and others. Good Luck to each and every competitor.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Not to steal your thread, but seeing those type of matches really gets the pool addict going, I totally understand your excitement. I watched the 2 years Shane McMinn won it, back to back, 9 ball Nationals at Magoos. Also got to see a young Bergman play during that two year stint he was, maybe 14 at that time. Watching those kids playing is INVIGORATING to say the least.

Green Hornet

Registered
More funding for Juniors

I didn't see Laz on the brackets...is he going by an alias?

I too noticed that he wasn't able to play in the Nationals. Perhaps his parents only had so much time off work. Or maybe he had to get back to start school. The BCA Nationals lasts around 10 days. They would have to stayed almost an additional week to attend the Junior Nationals.

This made me think of all the sacrifices parents' make for their kids. My parents did all they could for me and I'm not a champion at anything. How many potential champions never get the chance to travel to National and World Championships.

I have no doubt we will see Laz and his brother Gabriel again ( hopefully next year ).

Next year, if the BEF Junior Nationals occur right after the BCA NAtionals, I will be attending. If there is someone who can't attend due to similar issues Laz and his family had, I will offer to chaperone them so they don't miss out on this opportunity.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's with them stealing my name? I was the only "Laser" and "Laz" playing pool which was my nickname I got from a few people, and certainly the only "Lazar".

8 yr old beating Evans is very impressive. Someone like that will be a huge talent in his teens, fully capable of playing on the pro level.

He could have won the 13 and under division at the Jr Nationals if he played. There are kids that are pretty good that play, but don't think anyone that is good enough to take on an 18 yr old good player.

Last edited:

Green Hornet

Registered
It was actually Bobby Cotton who gave Lazaro the nickname "Little L"

Another note of correction. Long days clouded my memory. Thanks for getting the link up so fast. This match is fun to watch.

Bobby I admire you for doing the commentary down to the very end. It can't be easy or enjoyable to do commentary without a partner. I hope to see you again next year.

Now back to the match, I still got two games to go. That last rack is going to great to see again.