J&J cues, very low durability?

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
For those of you who have bought J&J cues, have you noticed a weakness in the finish / durability of the cue?

I have a few cues and they all hold up pretty well, sometimes I do accidently give the butt a little bump here and there but it is usually pretty minor and doesn't show up on the butt of the cues except if it's something major.

But that J&J is something else altogether, even the slightest bump will put a big (2.5mm diameter) white spot on it. I don't have any picture right now, but it really just get those big white marks all over itself super easy.

To be honest, I don't really give a damn about the aesthetics of this cue since it's a cheap jump-break I bought until I can afford a better one, but it is still quite annoying to see all that appearing after such a short time.

If it matters at all, the cue was bought off eBay, it came from Taiwan. J&J 2731 J/B

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have a J & J break cue. Cost me $90. Had a one piece phenolic ferrule and tip. Had the tip sawed off and had a hard leather put on. Breaks as well for me as the guys who use $400 break cues.

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had 2 j&j jump/break cues.. they are trash if you have any break power at all.

Probably work well for women though or kids.. but after i bought my last won it didnt even last 1month before the wood started to split.

on a scale of 1-10 i would give it a 2-1/2

Evil8 Billiards

EVIL8BILLIARDS.COM
Silver Member
Have a J & J break cue. Cost me $90. Had a one piece phenolic ferrule and tip. Had the tip sawed off and had a hard leather put on. Breaks as well for me as the guys who use $400 break cues.

I use the same setup with a samsara break tip. Every time i break the balls i see at least three people cover there ears from the sound. lol

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I've never heard a complaint about J&J other than their cue descriptions are
sometimes typed in broken English
J&J is very good on the low end jump/break cues.
In other words they are really good for an inexpensive import.
Beyond that, you get what you pay for.
Most j/b shafts cost twice as much as the entire J&J cue.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had 2 j&j jump/break cues.. they are trash if you have any break power at all.

Probably work well for women though or kids.. but after i bought my last won it didnt even last 1month before the wood started to split.

Had one for probably about 8 years now. Had a $300 j/b and sold it because I like this better. Did the same as the above poster, cut the phenolic tip off and installed a hard leather tip. Also took the long weight bolt out. Like it lighter. I think I paid about $55 for it back then.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those of you who have bought J&J cues, have you noticed a weakness in the finish / durability of the cue?

I have a few cues and they all hold up pretty well, sometimes I do accidently give the butt a little bump here and there but it is usually pretty minor and doesn't show up on the butt of the cues except if it's something major.

But that J&J is something else altogether, even the slightest bump will put a big (2.5mm diameter) white spot on it. I don't have any picture right now, but it really just get those big white marks all over itself super easy.

To be honest, I don't really give a damn about the aesthetics of this cue since it's a cheap jump-break I bought until I can afford a better one, but it is still quite annoying to see all that appearing after such a short time.

If it matters at all, the cue was bought off eBay, it came from Taiwan. J&J 2731 J/B

I'll look it up. Did you get it from billiard heaven?

I see...I only sell the rosewood 2749. I don't mess with the others.

I can ship them for $60 dollars.

:wink:

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am not a woman and break fine with mine. You must be superman. What is your break speed, 50mph?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have a great reputation for a low cost cue. I have owned 3 (one was lost/stolen), my son uses one and I got a replacement, no issues with it for the price. His is pretty dinged up but then again he loaned it to other kids to use and is not as careful as I am. It's a cheaper finish of course, but what do you expect for a cue that costs as much as a finish job from a custom cue maker?

A "good" break or break/jump cue from a custom maker or a high end production maker is over $200, the J&J ones are 1/2 or less of that.

I do plan on replacing the tip on it, of the 3 I had, for some reason one had a better feeling hit and that's the one that was left in a bar then disappeared when I tried to find it there.

Last edited:

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@btown,
Did you reach out to J&J?

No but i should have, I have a couple of friends who has one and the same thing happend.

Anybody that has a J&J that you like send it to me for 2weeks and i will send it back splintered below the center joint from regular use..

P.S. For the price as long as you don't have any break power they are decent cues. and even after they start to splinter they still make decent jump cues. The splintering may actually help its jump shot!

But if you have any break power they arent worth the wood.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've been selling them for over ten years and haven't had any complaints like this.

LOL...I guess I would not be the poolguy4u.

Last edited:

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a woman and break fine with mine. You must be superman. What is your break speed, 50mph?

I can break pretty hard and "solid" the solid part is what will splinter the wood.

When I was breaking with the j&j I was breaking above 23mph.

I am just doing a little guess work.

I would say breaking under 20mph you probably wont have any issues.

I am not picky just don't want my break stick to literally break!

tommyhill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am no expert on j&j cues because I have only used one however I have had that one cue for 25 years or so. it is my break jump cue. I have tried to replace it a few times over the years but just haven't found anything better.