Ko Pin-Yi. Best player on earth.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ko is the current world number 1 and best player in the world
It's pretty darn obvious if you stay current in pool
Yes yes for corvette and the other tards Shane is up there also along with several others

As for the U.S. open its the same standard as turning stone in my opinion maybe slightly better depending on the year
Not to diminish Shane's schievments as they are extraordinary but the U.S. open is not even the best event in the U.S. that would be derby city

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just don't get what winning a few short-race tournaments has to do with being the best player in the world?

Was Mike Sigel ever the best player in the world? He won a shit-load of tournaments.

You guys watch too much ESPN.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World 10-ball, World 9-ball, and now World Cup. Hats off.

Absolutely agree
When I watched him win W10B final v Biado in dominating (in 1st half) and then grinding (latter half ), I saw that he had an extremely high gear and arguably best mental game in pool now. His performances in CSI events last year, W9B and now in WCOP highlighted that he is master of clutch game , brilliant tactician and superb pool brain and is better safety player . And that he is not only a great breaker but a compete player in terms of technical, tactical, attack, defence and mental aspects.
And the scary thing is he is getting better. And yes he is lucky like Efren would say.
Well done , Big KO :grin-square:

Last edited:

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
I just don't get what winning a few short-race tournaments has to do with being the best player in the world?

Was Mike Sigel ever the best player in the world? He won a shit-load of tournaments.

how do you want it then? a 128-player field where each match would be a race to 30? LOL

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
These "short-format" races that you guys keep complaining are like coin-flips... even if that were true, it would just make Ko's achievements even greater because it means he's strong enough to consistently win despite the fact that "anyone" can win those matches.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would really like to see a Mosconi Cup style tournament with the Philippines vs. Taiwan
Maybe South Asia (Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand) v North Asia (China, Chinese Taipei, Japan, Korea).

Though, hard to imagine Chinese and Japanese teaming up :eek:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Yea, Asian countries tend to hate their neighbours, with a passion.

Maybe a communist vs non-communist split would work better... or not.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
What would that prove?
it will prove why tournament matches are rather short races. as much as pool fans want a race to 50 or 100 between Ko and SVB (and all the other 62 matches in the single elimination round of the world championship), it's just not feasible im afraid.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These "short-format" races that you guys keep complaining are like coin-flips... even if that were true, it would just make Ko's achievements even greater because it means he's strong enough to consistently win despite the fact that "anyone" can win those matches.

I guess they are like coin flips... if you could some how choke and dog it on a coin flip because you couldn't handle the pressure.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh, good. So that means you'll be competing, since you have a chance of winning. Provide us with updates. Looking forward to it and good shooting! I'm still trying to win an amateur tournament.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If being world cup winner, world ten ball champ, and world nine ball champ all in the same year isn't enough for you then you might be more impressed with him coming into Shane backyard and beating him in the gambling match that occurred.

Shane isn't going into Taiwan to play Ko any long sets, I believe that.

Lets face it. This thread was inspired by the many Shane huggers who in spite of Ko's achievements still say Shane is the best. God, I cant imagine how proud they would be if Shane had Ko's credentials.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I guess they are like coin flips... if you could some how choke and dog it on a coin flip because you couldn't handle the pressure.

Oh, good. So that means you'll be competing, since you have a chance of winning. Provide us with updates. Looking forward to it and good shooting! I'm still trying to win an amateur tournament.

The key phrase in his post was "even if that were true".

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has he beaten Ko in either world championship?

To be the man, you have to beat the man.

I thought it was pretty well acknowledged that Shane played better than anyone in the world championship and was beaten by bad rolls (for him that is) when Ko made mistakes or missed?

Either way, every time someone wins something there is a post about how he is the "greatest" LOL, it's pretty safe to ignore this type of thing I would say.

2strong4u

Banned
SVB blew all his chances late in the match, and lost.
It was obvious.
LOL

Yes he did.

Watching Taipei win yesterday and the rest of the World Cup, as well as Qatar 9 ball, Ko does not get tight like all the western players. Surely it's cultural for westerners to make excuses and blame their failings on bad rolls. It only makes a player weaker to go that route.

Yesterday Appleton and Boyes had given up about half way through the set. If your opponent plays great then you have to play even greater to win. I just don't see this mentality in play often enough lately. A lot of the top players are crybabies when the rolls don't go their way.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

These anti-short format charlatans will only shut up Shane wins LOL
When will they ever realise that in a 128 field tourney, you are playing a field of players (NOT one to one ) and you need to you need to win 8 matches or more.
8 matches is like race to 50 or race to 80 but even tougher coz you need to play high level , minimum errors under pressure every match :grin-square:

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I thought it was pretty well acknowledged that Shane played better than anyone in the world championship and was beaten by bad rolls (for him that is) when Ko made mistakes or missed?

Either way, every time someone wins something there is a post about how he is the "greatest" LOL, it's pretty safe to ignore this type of thing I would say.

Not really. Ko and Wu both played an incredible match in the semis. They put on a better performance than any match in recent memory. Shane played good before the finals and he broke great, but Dennis practically handed Shane the match on a silver platter with tons of unforced errors and KPC couldn't get his break to work and gave back a lot of chances off of Shane's misses.

Ko may have been lucky off of a few rolls in the finals, but Shane was lucky to meet an opponent in the quarter finals of the world championship who would miss half a dozen open shots to him in one match.

Last edited: