John Schmidt says CTE works after all.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Can anybody who has played baseball as a teenager or older tell me that a baseball does NOT curve, drop, or rise and is only an illusion?

Let's look at it from another angle. How about a Wiffle ball. I guess they don't curve, drop, or rise either because GEEK SCIENTISTS who never played baseball or got picked on the playground to play say it's only an "ILLUSION" from the batter's perspective.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39658106/...rveball-illusion-scientists-say/#.VsXpaccUXIU

Does a real athlete who has played believe this garbage because "science" says so? You can be nothing more than a fan and see what happens on the TV screen when the camera is out in centerfield.

A baseball can be coming in at the belt level of a batter when 2 or 3 feet before getting over the plate it suddenly dives straight down into the dirt as if it hit a brick wall.

Riiiiight, baseballs don't curve, drop, or rise!!! :eek: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just like CTE as taught can't make every shot on the table as stated. Only the "ADJUSTMENTS" will allow it.

OK, what are the adjustments and for which shot angles?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I did not even read that whole thing because it is rather easy to understand that the after the fact scientist are explaining that the ball does not travel perfectly straight & then all of a sudden curve & that would be correct.

But as the spin to speed changes the trajectory changes & gravity also is in play.

Another illogical 'argument' of lemons to apples.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
ROTFLMAO!! He sees all, knows all, and predicts all like Rosie the roadside palm reader and psychic!

Yet these videos of major league baseball pitches clearly show some of them diving into the dirt before reaching home plate as if they hit a brick wall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zyk2T37XDg

It's an illusion and the ball was slowly taking that arc as soon as it left the pitcher's hand. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Just like CTE can't make every shot on the table as explained and taught.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Please show which angles and what the adjustments are to make OBs go in when CTE as taught fails it's mission as thought by those untrained in it.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It's become very very obvious that some just seem to be incapable of understanding scientific explanations.

or...

They are just playing games for ulterior motives.

I've taught pitching at the playground & middle school level & I can teach a change up with some spin that will work nearly as good as a true curve ball in a certain given application.

I once had to explain to a very young youngster one time that he actually had to throw the ball 'up' to get it into the strike zone because the ball is being influenced by gravity as soon as it leaves the hand.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What does everyone believe here? What they see with their own eyes who have played baseball, wiffle ball, and these major league videos of how quickly a baseball can dip or curve at the end of the pitch...or some resident forum know it all's take and understanding of both a baseball curving as well as CTE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zyk2T37XDg

Quote from resident expert:
I've taught pitching at the playground & middle school level & I can teach a change up with some spin that will work nearly as good as a true curve ball in a certain given application.

Playground and middle school level?? WOW!! IMPRESSIVE!! Sounds about like the same level you're at with CTE.

The onus is still on the CTE critics. Please explain what cut angles can NOT be made from the instructions when followed and WHAT ADJUSTMENTS have to be made to pocket the shots. When and where do they occur?

From the CTE side nothing more needs to be illustrated because it's been done in the original Dvd's by Stan, additional videos by Stan on youtube, and youtube videos by excellent players here on the forum who use CTE.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anybody who has played baseball as a teenager or older tell me that a baseball does NOT curve, drop, or rise and is only an illusion?

Let's look at it from another angle. How about a Wiffle ball. I guess they don't curve, drop, or rise either because GEEK SCIENTISTS who never played baseball or got picked on the playground to play say it's only an "ILLUSION" from the batter's perspective.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39658106/...rveball-illusion-scientists-say/#.VsXpaccUXIU

Does a real athlete who has played believe this garbage because "science" says so? You can be nothing more than a fan and see what happens on the TV screen when the camera is out in centerfield.

A baseball can be coming in at the belt level of a batter when 2 or 3 feet before getting over the plate it suddenly dives straight down into the dirt as if it hit a brick wall.

Riiiiight, baseballs don't curve, drop, or rise!!! :eek: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just like CTE as taught can't make every shot on the table as stated. Only the "ADJUSTMENTS" will allow it.

OK, what are the adjustments and for which shot angles?

A baseball rising is an illusion. It is not possible for the force of gravity to stop working on a baseball that has been thrown.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
A baseball rising is an illusion. It is not possible for the force of gravity to stop working on a baseball that has been thrown.

A wiffle ball will if you know how to set the grooves and throw it side arm in order to have the air "lift" it. Some major league pitchers threw submarine balls where the delivery started from low and went to high along with the ball.

Yes, gravity does work on a baseball as well as a bullet of any caliber fired from a gun. It works super on some old man (actually any age) jumping off a bridge or skyscraper also.

How far does a baseball fall due to gravity at 95 mph from 60'6"? Might be hard to calculate since the pitchers mound is higher than the playing field, the delivery is usually coming from an overhand higher area, and the height of the pitcher himself. There are some very tall pitchers throwing down to batters and the strike zone.

At the velocity and distance they're throwing the ball 95-100 mph/60'6", I wouldn't think gravity plays that much of a role compared to a middle school kid even though the mound is closer.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A wiffle ball will if you know how to set the grooves and throw it side arm in order to have the air "lift" it. Some major league pitchers threw submarine balls where the delivery started from low and went to high along with the ball.

Yes, gravity does work on a baseball as well as a bullet of any caliber fired from a gun. It works super on some old man (actually any age) jumping off a bridge or skyscraper also.

How far does a baseball fall at 95 mph from 60'6"?

Physics is not my strong suit so I have no clue how much a fastball thrown at 95mph will fall over that span. It depends on lots of factors such as spin and trajectory. Also, the ball isn't released from the rubber so the distance to the plate is more likely to be 55 feet or so if I had to guess.

You asked for someone who played baseball at a higher level to chime in. I agree about the curve balls and such but the riser is an optical illusion.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Physics is not my strong suit so I have no clue how much a fastball thrown at 95mph will fall over that span. It depends on lots of factors such as spin and trajectory. Also, the ball isn't released from the rubber so the distance to the plate is more likely to be 55 feet or so if I had to guess.

You asked for someone who played baseball at a higher level to chime in. I agree about the curve balls and such but the riser is an optical illusion.

I agree with you on that and I shouldn't have included a riser with the other pitches. However in the first post I made about it, I also included WIFFLE BALLS when I said this: "Let's look at it from another angle. How about a Wiffle ball. I guess they don't curve, drop, or rise either"

Wiffle balls can and do rise if you know how to throw them. Naturally they are much lighter than a baseball, have slits in half of the ball, and are affected by air flow to provide lift. It is not an optical illusion when done correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPPMIY0Yd4

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
All distraction & diversion from the real issue at hand... as usual.

Talk around the pertinent matters.

No... the onus is NOT on those that do not agree with the assertions or claims made.

The onus is on those that make the assertions & the claims.

I think it is rather very obvious how the issues regarding the assertions & claims are avoided & talked around & how individuals are 'ATTACKED' instead of providing any conclusive logical proof of the assertions & the claims.

Unfortunately, it seems that almost all of the proponents do not understand that any proof resides in the realm of rational logical REASON & not in the realm of any video or physical challenge where one can not determine exactly what is going on on a subconscious level regarding any tweaks, adjustments, variations , or whatever one wants to call them.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,

bwally is Brian Wallace.

ah, ya. I got that part. But what are his bona fides as a player?

After years of tournament play and travel around the country, I have never heard of a Brain Wallace. Others here have been endlessly exorcised for being nothing more than keyboard players. But since Brian Wallace has been cited in the OP as endorsing CTE -- and all the usual suspects are rejoicing as if Wiille Mosconi had done the same -- my question remains: who is Brain Wallace?

Lou Figueroa

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Ghost ball works!

It's not about whether or not one can play well utilizing it.

Obviously some can play very well utilizing it.

The question is... does it make one play well because it is an objective 'system'...

or...

is it merely a sufficient method that one can implement just as one can implement other methods because one has the ability to subjectively adapt to the method & utilize it efficiently & effectively?

Does it take subjectively time learned 'visual intelligence' in order to execute the method properly just as it does all other methods?

I think the rather obvious answer is yes.

So... what is 'visual intelligence'?

I think most would say that it is an 'intelligence' that is learned over time by a trial & error experience of successes & failures based on visuals that once learned leads to more successes than failures.

The fact that it is learned makes it subjective.

Hence 'visual Intelligence' is subjective.

If your 'visual intelligence' is better than mine then you will have more success than me.

If my 'visual intelligence' is better than yours then I will have more success than you.

Objective systems do NOT work that way.

Is it a good method? It seems so.

Is it an objective system?

I'll leave that for rational individuals that know what objective truly means to answer.

GoldenFlash

Banned
It had been very quiet in this forum.
Then the three magic letters were uttered, in the proper sequence, and the heavens opened, raining hate and discontent as far as the eye could see
Your post here and post #5 sum it up perfectly....the "three magic letters". :shakehead:

dear_god_stop.jpg

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I see you've never played organized pro baseball for money.
Wait until you see one of these coming at your face...then you can preach about "illusion"
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/List_of_Submarine_Pitchers.

I've caught fast pitch indoor ball & I know what a 'rising' pitch is.

That said, one should understand, or at least try to do so, that the term rising is relative.

Can a ball curve in the upward direction? Yes.

Can it be thrown downward & get higher in elevation? I don't think so.

Can it be thrown level & gain elevation? I don't think so.

BUT... it can offset the force of gravity & instead of falling, it can maintain elevation.

The appearance is that it is rising, but in reality it is just not falling because of the force of gravity.

It is very deceptive because it can appear that it starts out level of even slightly downward but in reality it is starting out level or with a slight upward trajectory.

Normally the ball would be dropping, but the spin offsets that. So... it appears that it is rising, when in fact it is just not dropping & is traveling level... when without the spin it should be falling.

Think about a golf ball sitting on the ground & hitting it with a zero loft putter.

You would have to hit up on it which is impossible because the ground under it prohibits that
Or... you would have to hit down on it to put the spin on it but that would drive it down.

It's only because the ball bounces off of the ground that a downward blow puts spin on the ball & allows it to rise from the spin... but the bounce starts it an upward direction from the bounce.

If the ground were not there the ball would travel in a downward direction.

I hope I have explained this in a manner that makes sense.

Last edited:

GoldenFlash

Banned
I've caught fast pitch indoor ball & I know what a 'rising' pitch is.
That said, one should understand, or at least try to do so, that the term rising is relative.
Can a ball curve in the upward direction? Yes.
Can it be thrown downward & get higher in elevation? I don't think so.
Can it be thrown level & gain elevation? I don'tthink so.
BUT... it can offset the force of gravity & instead of falling, it can maintain elevation.
The appearance is that it is rising, but in reality it is just not falling because of the force of gravity.
It is very deceptive because it can appear that it starts out level of even slightly downward but in reality it is starting out level or with a slight upward trajectory.
Normally the ball would be dropping, but the spin offsets that. so it appears that it is rising, when in fact it is just not dropping & is traveling level.
Think about a golf ball sitting on the ground & hitting it with a zero loft putter.
You would have to hit up on it which is impossible because the ground under it prohibits that.
Or... you would have to hit down on it to put the spin on it but that would drive it down.
It's only because the ball bounces off of the ground that a downward blow putting spin on the ball allows it to rise from the spin.
If the ground were not there the ball would travel in a downward direction.
I hope I have explained this in a manner that makes sense.
Wow...I had no idea you were such an expert on so many different things.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Wow...I had no idea you were such an expert on so many different things.

I am not an expert on many different things but I am 62 yrs. old & rather well versed, etc.

An 'expert' is someone with a briefcase more than 100 miles from their home like a traveling salesman. If they know any more about what they are selling than you do... then they are an 'expert'. It's relative. :wink:

Please note the single quotes. They mean that the word may not be being used in it's literal or technical sense.