AZ's Mike Wong in Semi's

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am curious what event is this? I seen him at DCC. I wonder how he did there. Thanks.

At this year's DCC, Michael Wong finished in an 8-way tie for 20th in Banks, getting knocked out in the 8th round and winning $450. In One-Pocket (won 1 match) and 9-Ball (won 2 matches) he finished out of the money.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I will leave the stream if I ever see Mike Wong on one again. With no shot clock he purposefully jukes, jives, walks jerky around the table, chalks 4-5 times before shooting...you name it. He does this to anger his opponent and get in his head.

What's really sad about it is that when the shot clock is finally placed on him, he's a good shooter.

He has no integrity...will do anything to win. :angry:

I cheered when Shaw finally calmed down enough to beat Mike Wong.

Last edited:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I will leave the stream if I ever see Mike Wong on one again. With no shot clock he purposefully jukes, jives, walks jerky around the table, chalks 4-5 times before shooting...you name it. He does this to anger his opponent and get in his head.

What's really sad about it is that when the shot clock is finally placed on him, he's a good shooter.

He has no integrity...will do anything to win. :angry:

I cheered when Shaw finally calmed down enough to beat Mike Wong.
Glad to hear Shaw won! I gave up around 2:30 am est. (Had to get 2 1/2 hrs sleep lol)
I agree Mike shot way faster on the clock. If he really does all that other b.s. on purpose that is really messed up. He deserves NO SUPPORT in the future!!

Btw It was the Predator tour stop 5 at Gotham City for those wondering.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Is this the same fellow who wanted the AZB membership to underwrite his trip to Louisville?
That was just Wong. Wong I tell you. :smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I got respect for Mike Wong...he's got a lot of heart and strives.

...he should do himself a favor and put himself on a time clock, even when he practises.

Willie said "Yiu can't be a great player without rhythm."

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was painful to watch before the clock. He's not the time bandit but the 'The Time Thief' as he chalked, walked 360 around table, chalked, got down real low, chalked, walked 180 around table, chalked, studied, got down, popped up, chalked, walked two tables back, got down low, chalked, dropped, practice strokes, stood up, chalked, dropped, practice strokes and......knocks down hanger. All this while listening to the soundtrack from 'Gone with the Wind' on his headphones.

Repeat routine. Brutal. If I had not watched for hours just to see final and he was not playing Shaw I was out after seeing his pre-shot routine when he got the table.

Mike is a very good player. I respect he made the Final. I understand he could kick my azz 9-0 but.

Have a good day,

-Kat

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
He needs to quit pool. There is no upside to his involvement. If he gets more exposure, say goodbye to any hope of TV opportunities. I would think most players would refuse to play against him. I know I would.

I was so happy Shaw won.:smile:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will leave the stream if I ever see Mike Wong on one again. With no shot clock he purposefully jukes, jives, walks jerky around the table, chalks 4-5 times before shooting...you name it. He does this to anger his opponent and get in his head. ...

I think it is quite possible that Mike is not intentionally trying to shark his opponents by doing all that stuff. It may just be mental -- that, without a clock preventing him, he is somehow compelled to do all that baloney to feel "right" before he takes the shot.

But, I agree -- it's bad. And it's something that I think he should work diligently to cure. Why would he want to incur the animosity of everyone he plays and of his tournament directors for holding up the events? Just to win a few more matches? And how do we know that it even helps him win matches? He might do even better if he always played more quickly. pt suggests the use of a time clock during practice; good idea. I'd suggest entering a few events with the mid set of using them strictly as "pace developers" -- not caring about finishing high in the event, but just playing to develop a far more economical pre-shot routine.

Reactions: KRJ

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He needs to quit pool. There is no upside to his involvement. If he gets more exposure, say goodbye to any hope of TV opportunities. I would think most players would refuse to play against him. I know I would.

I was so happy Shaw won.:smile:

I don't know how he plays in practice, but I would never play him in any kind of session that was supposed to be for the enjoyment of playing.

I don't care how well he plays, it is painful to watch and takes any enjoyment out of watching.

Non Smoker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching an earlier match on the main table and noticed Mike on the table behind it.
The person he was playing looked like he gave up. He kept walking away and coming back and Mike would still be doing his routine. I had to shut off the stream, unwatchable.

Can you imagine taking lessons from Mike.