2016 China Open

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
From WPA's site which was updated about 2 hours ago:

"While the qualifiers are determining the last available spots for the China Open, international players are now arriving into Shanghai ahead of the tournament start on Thursday.

While the qualifiers are determining the last available spots for the China Open, international players are now arriving into Shanghai ahead of the tournament start on Thursday. A total of 112 players will compete, 64 in the men’s division and 48 in the women’s. All the big names are entered and everyone of them is keen to become China Open champion for 2016.

The women’s division is sure to be hotly contested. They are very popular in China, and their own players are fierce competitors and currently hold the number 1 and 2 ranking positions with Chen Siming and Liu Sha Sha. Liu is also current world champion. Of course they will not have it their own way, defending champion Kim Ga Young (KOR) is ranked number 3 and her consistency makes her a definite threat in every tournament where she competes. She is also a former three-time world champion. Another of the main chances is Kelly Fisher (GBR) who is really playing well again after undergoing major surgery a short time back. Being a two-time world champion, she also has experience on her side and a will to win which makes her another of the major chances. Other notables who make up the top 8 are Yu Han (CHN), Chou Chieh Yu (TPE), Chen Ho-Yun (TPE), Jasmin Ouschan (AUT).

The men’s division is made up of the who’s who of the pool world. Recent winner of the world championship and defending champion Albin Ouschan (AUT) will be player many consider as the one to beat, but he will definitely not be getting it all his own way. Cheng Yu Hsuan (TPE) and world number 1 ranked is sure to prove most competitive. There are so many talented players entered it is impossible to predict a winner with any confidence, the title is wide open. China’s Liu Haitao is a very tough competitor and his consistency sees his ranking at number 3, young Filipino star Carlo Biado as number 4, and the dynamic duo from Chinese Taipei, brothers Ko Pin Yi and Ko Ping Chun at 5 and 6 respectively. In 2015 Ko Pin Yi won two world championships, 9-Ball and 10-Ball and was the WPA Player of the Year. He is an awesome force in any event where he competes. Others to make up the top 10 are Chu Bing Jie (CHN), Chang Jung Lin (TPE) Darren Appleton (GBR), and John Morra (CAN) who was runner-up in this event in 2015.

Live-streaming and live-scoring will be available soon and the details will be announced as soon as we have them."​

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone verify where Thorsten is?
They have him listed in the China Open and Turning Stone Classic.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
1st day qualifiers:
Zhang Yu
Jeffrey de Luna

2nd day qualifiers:
Li Kun Fang
Jeffrey Ignacio

3rd day qualifiers:
Yang Ching Shun
Chen Shuang
Libo Xian
孔德京 (i cant get a proper translation)

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st day qualifiers:
Zhang Yu
Jeffrey de Luna

2nd day qualifiers:
Li Kun Fang
Jeffrey Ignacio

3rd day qualifiers:
Yang Ching Shun
Chen Shuang
Libo Xian
孔德京 (i cant get a proper translation)

Thanks for update, arps

Just so many killers just in the qualifiers
That Li Kun Fang is back playing- he is around Earl's era
And poor Yang has to qualify these days :)

No prizes for guessing who will win this one
It will be either Taiwanese/Wu or Filipino
:)

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious but does anyone have a link to brackets of the qualifying stages? With such heavy names, I'd like to see who played who.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
I am curious but does anyone have a link to brackets of the qualifying stages? With such heavy names, I'd like to see who played who.

got this from daz's FB post. he says he's playing Oi Naoyuki in Group B:

chi a open groups.jpg

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
got this from daz's FB post. he says he's playing Oi Naoyuki in Group B:

View attachment 431979

Looks like that must be the final 64, i.e., the main event -- not the qualifying events.

So there are 3 players from the USA -- Oscar Dominguez, Corey Deuel, and Gregory Harada. I wonder if any others played in the qualifiers.

I also see Immonen and Hohmann on the chart. I wonder if that settles the question of whether they are playing at Turning Stone or in China.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In Group E, Liu Haitao's name is written in at the top right of the group's box. Eight others seem to form the group.

Similarly, in Group G, Chang Yu-Lung's name is written in at the top right.

Does anyone know what this is about? Are there 66 players instead of 64, with these two automatically progressing for some reason?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about live streaming -- anyone find any information on that yet?

Edit: Looks like the first matches will start 11 hours from now.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can u post a link or whoever else please

I don't have any information about the streaming other than what was on the Alison Chang website a few days ago: "Due to this year’s new venue, the quality of streaming facility is uncertain for now. Will figure that out when we arrive at the venue."

The first matches start in about 6 hours; it would be nice to know whether we will be able to watch.