Jayson Shaw victim or defeated foe

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it makes you feel better. I don't like either....Facts are facts. Earl is a pool legend but every bit of a cry baby and if you want to get technical Earl has been crying just as long as he's been playing pool so that makes him a better cry baby than Shaw.....Good Night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yep certainly true how ever he's a legend of the game one of the best to ever put his cue down on the table regardless of how he acts he has earned a level of respect Jason does not nor will ever earn best he can do is a also ran ,, sweet dreams !

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Synopsis

I don't see what all the fuss is about. This is just a run of the mill 14.1 tournament with a few top players and a bunch of 2 and outs...no matter how you try to spin it. World my ass. Johnnyt

That about sums it up :grin:

To further sum up:
1) Pool is full of crybabies
2) Ref should do their job and not be napping. If he is sitting and have no idea what is going on then he is just a rack boy or table boy not a ref
3) While 14.1 does require a certain amount of skill, it is a relatively boring game compared to 8,9 or 10b
4) Everyone have their favorites and their opinion/ judgement on such controversy are more often than not clouded by who they like
:grin:

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not up to the players to call a bad shot, a foul, or whatever you want to call it. It is the referee's job to do that. I blame the referee, not Earl and not Jayson.

Jam, you are correct.

A competent referee would have questioned "2-ball?" and Earl would have corrected himself by properly calling the 10-ball before he shot.

John Leyman, the TD, should have been there as a referee for this important match or Charlie Williams should have hired a competent ref.

Also, the ref should have required Earl to sit in his seat when Jayson was at the table. Earl was sitting far, far away from the table. That is unsportsmanlike conduct and is never ever allowed in world-class tournaments.

I've refereed some of Earl's matches in the past and he doesn't always follow the rules. It has nothing to do with cheating. Earl's not a cheater, but he just doesn't fit into the normal mode of behavior.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to call obvious shots, but if you call a ball, yet shoot another ball, the verbal communication should take presedence.

Vohladio

Registered
Here's what the 14.1 committee had to say:
picture.php

JoeyA

Interesting to see an official rule about this situation. I personally disagree with it, but if this is the official rule then it should be upheld.

However, in some of the videos and Facebook comments Jayson is saying that earlier in the match Earl did the exact same thing (called a ball, shot a different ball) and the referee gave the table over to Shaw. So a precedent had been set during the match and was then changed.

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sit down.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet:

Shaw left his seat while the balls were still moving. If he thought the two was called he should have at the very least waited to see if the two found a pocket before protesting quite so vehemently.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to call obvious shots, but if you call a ball, yet shoot another ball, the verbal communication should take presedence.

Do you play 14.1? That's not how the game is played. Read the rules. The problem is the ref and TD are making it up as they go along. The only point of "verbal communication", pointing or anything else is to make your intention clear. Nothing takes precedence over communicating your intention. That's the rule. They're not written so that someone like Shaw can try to take advantage of mixing up a word. They're written sensibly.

The first time it happened, the ref should have shut it down cold. "He called the corner, and there's no doubt what ball he was shooting. That's the standard, Mr. Shaw, so now please sit down. Mr. Strickland please continue." All this hand wringing about who heard what is complete nonsense because it has no bearing, the TD and ref should really understand the common rules a little better, and the ref needs to understand his duties better.

Last edited:

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are very few videos of straight pool tournaments from the past but it seems the ref actually called the shots and not the players back then...maybe this is why.

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting to see an official rule about this situation. I personally disagree with it, but if this is the official rule then it should be upheld.

However, in some of the videos and Facebook comments Jayson is saying that earlier in the match Earl did the exact same thing (called a ball, shot a different ball) and the referee gave the table over to Shaw. So a precedent had been set during the match and was then changed.

And not only that...
I posted this on their fb page, with no answer up to now..

"World Tournament of 14.1:
1. Introducing a non WPA rule is "ok" (not sure in terms of prestige for such a tournament) if it is properly announced at the players meeting. Was this done?

2. The TD while announcing his decision did not refer to this rule but to lack of evidence about the shooter calling a wrong ball.

3. If the official video was not clear why wasn't it excluded from evidence, as well as the referee's opinion since he was by fact not in proper position, not hearing what was clearly recorded on the other side by a spectator and was not by fact able to estimate balls alignment?

4. Since there were no official clear evidence, why the TD did not use his right (by international regulations) to collect evidence from spectators (possibly bringing the spectator video with a clear record of wrong call to his hands)?

5. "Gentleman's call" goes both ways, letting your opponent keep shooting or admitting your mistake and pay the consequences... At least for semis and final the background should be (if possible) more "isolated" in order to avoid controversy like this in the future.

All the above need to be answered thoroughly in order to clarify things, no intentional criticism since you deserve warm congratulations for your efforts in keeping this great game alive."

PS I would add that such a rule is at least "not proper" for pro Straight Pool...

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
:thumbup:

I just think maybe I'm wrong here , but I consider 14.1 a sacred game a gentleman's where there's a higher level of integrity and sportsmanship involved that you simply just don't see in other games and that's part of the beauty of the game

agreed, greeny for you
:thumbup:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this video clip I took while at the match that shows the call and and some of the intense aftermath

https://youtu.be/qLBMnWHd6aw

That judge love the attention he got, prancing around instead of doing his job in a professional manner.
To me this is just another instance of Earl not playing by the same rules as the other players and getting away with it.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
If I am playing someone and the call the wrong ball, even though it is clear which ball they are shooting, I am not going to say a word. People make mistakes everyday. So what, big deal..... If that was called a foul and I only needed 1 ball, or even run 100, to win the match, I would not feel like a champion winning in that way. Its crazy how many people want to "just win" no matter how they have to do it. I have stopped many opponents from shooting the wrong ball and lost because of it.... I guess I am just too much of a sportsman...

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Refereeing tournament in the '80s, we were expected to call the shots before the players actually played them. If the player shot the ball we did not call, they lost their inning. TD was very specific about it.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl called the 2 and made the 10. He should have lost his turn. I don't know what you guys are arguing about this being a "technicality" are talking about. Either we have rules or we don't.

This wasn't some league night with a couple of hackers, this was supposed to be an important tournament. They lost all credibility in my opinion.

You don't get his mickey mouse shit in golf because they follow their own rules, and that game is seen as serious sport. It's obvious why pool isn't taken seriously.

Last edited:

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Careful what you wish for

I see a lot of people using the word "obvious" and "intent" - it was Earl shooting. Raise your hand if you want to be the one to jump into that head to determine obvious and or intent.

Handled poorly from EVERY perspective. Gentle men's game and not a single person involved acted as one.

Jaysob, sit down, zip it and be respectful of your opponent. Your "Imma take my ball and go home" attitude is exactly why I'd be happy if you didn't play "over here".

Earl, tantrums are for children. Put your immaturity aside and pretend your a fully functional part of the human race at tournaments.

Ref/TD, pay the eff attention to what is going on. You fan the flames by being ignorant of the situation as it happened.

Next "world" tournament of 14.1, I suspect they'll use call shot.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sheesh! All the Europeans and European fans say the ruling is wrong. It is now water under the bridge. Nothing is going to change.

Next flavor of the month? Who knows! :cool: