Tip installing TAOM tip (pun not intended :)

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
Hi there,

I've recently installed 2 taom tips. I've got a lathe.

I wonder how you guys go to trip the tip? Do you simply use a new blade? or do you use a tool with the lathe?

I'm asking because I felt that using a blade isn't that easy. I finally did it simply using a blade, but the tip is so hard, it takes a lot more time and find it is easier to over-shave the tip in a cone-like shape (just a hair near the tip).

Also, what thickness do you keep for a break/jump tip? With the TAOM I installed, I haven't removed much, but to my personnal taste, it is too thick. What do you recommend?

Thanks

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Hi there,

I've recently installed 2 taom tips. I've got a lathe.

I wonder how you guys go to trip the tip? Do you simply use a new blade? or do you use a tool with the lathe?

I'm asking because I felt that using a blade isn't that easy. I finally did it simply using a blade, but the tip is so hard, it takes a lot more time and find it is easier to over-shave the tip in a cone-like shape (just a hair near the tip).

Also, what thickness do you keep for a break/jump tip? With the TAOM I installed, I haven't removed much, but to my personnal taste, it is too thick. What do you recommend?

Thanks

Using the blade is pretty easy with this tip, IMO

I only took off maybe 1mm, just because I thought it was too tall. But I did flatten it to about 1/8" of flat at the top.(I dont like it fully round)

But I will say that after using the HammerHead tip for about 3 mo, I'm glad I went back to the Taom.....it's way better, and holds the chalk great.

Last edited:

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cut Taoms and all synthetic tips down to size with a carbide cutter, very close the ferrule. Then I polish the sides, 600 grit to take out the tool marks, then to 1200, 1500, 2000 and then a gentle wipe with a polishing compound. Works well for me :smile:

The dome I cut with a razor blade resting on a metal bar, just like I would a leather tip. I trim a millimeter or 1.5 off Taoms aswell as I dont fancy a tip too tall. It doesnt wear much anyway so it doesnt really matter if you cut it down a bit on install :smile:

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Loctite 401 and 458 Blackmax glues with succes. Just remember to let the glue set properly for a few hours before working on the tip or playing with it :smile:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Glue

and What glue do you use ?

I wick all the tips I put on. I use thin CA and Loctite super control gel.
One mistake I made for years was I pressed the tips on too hard and squeezed all the glue out using my lathe.

The tips don't need to be gorilla pressed on ...............

Cheap china cues have some screwed up ferrules and those ferrule are hard to bond to.
I use carbon fiber pads when I can.