How am I doin (video)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shooting.

You think fast and shoot fast and loose but not too loose to where you have no pre-shot routine. You do have one, which is good.

I think the key for you is whether or not you can keep your rhythm in competition. As soon as you start thinking too much or second-guessing yourself, you'll fall out of rhythm. Let the misses and mistakes go as quickly as possible. Don't dwell on them other than a quick reminder to yourself for next time. Stay objective at the table (as opposed to being critical or judgemental about yourself,) and I think you can do really well.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slasher...That's a pretty nice pendulum stroke you've got there! You haven't gotten it to the point where your psr's are automatic yet, but that's a pretty smooth rhythm in that video. My only advice would be to add a more consistent eye pattern to your shooting routine. That would help with pressure situations like Fran is talking about.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
What is a more consistent eye pattern?

Doing the same thing every time. For me it is I confirm my aim, look back at the cue ball 2 warm up strokes look back at the object ball back swing and go home to the finish position.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent cue ball and speed control! Nice Snooker stance from time to time.

As you asked you will get some critique also:
Horrible preshot routine and fundamentals (far too long bridge, jabbing down at the cloth, and still too much movement going on).
Sometime you still use way too much strength and "cool stroking".

Overall I'd say congratulations - with a little practise and dedication you will be just fine!
But seriously - you need to change your carpet!

Cheers :thumbup:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP is not "jabbing down at the cloth"...that's how a good pendulum stroke finishes...on or near the cloth. Yes he has a very long bridge. I guess the Filapino players are terrible too, because they also have very long bridges?

Scott Lee

Horrible preshot routine and fundamentals (far too long bridge, jabbing down at the cloth, and still too much movement going on).
Sometime you still use way too much strength and "cool stroking".

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
key points

Thanks all for the cc, it is hard to see all the little flaws in your own game so it helps to have a few pairs of eyes.
My rhythm is a little inconsistent from the long lay off, I will work on this.
I will try to slow the pace a bit but this is a hard one, I once heard Drago say he played worse when he slowed down, sometimes when a quick player does miss it looks like they rushed the shot.
Misses do bother me and I have gotten better but will also work to erase them after they happen.
Not sure about my stance being an issue as it has not changed in 20 years, maybe it's the video that it appears different??
I am having to play "cool strokes" because my position play is sketchy!
As for the bridge length, I learned to play from watching this fellow in my local room back in the 70's and he influenced me a lot, he could play a little :) https://youtu.be/F8OY07NmAz8

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Slasher:
I sincerely wish you all the best! As I wrote (and I mean that) you'll be fine with a bit of fundamentals work and maybe a bit more concentration / preshot routine. But if it works to play fast then it's good for you.
I cannot do that (unfortunately) and am a very slow player. It also means that a lot of combinations I play will actually work out.

Do you also play with your old equipment or did you upgrade to recent one (LD shaft, magic chalk, ...)?

Didn't know the Snooker guy, but definately worth to watch!

@Scott Lee:
As far as pendulum and piston stroke - I don't buy into that and I don't care. Others do and that's fine, too.
EDIT: I might even suspect that buying into one or the other just masks problems in another area.
Just hit the damn ball at the exact spot you want with the exact speed you need and then you'll be fine around 95% already.

And everyone is entitled to an opinion? I do have another background than most of the players here. Doesn't that make my suggestions also quite interesting to simply try out in a while?
I'm also honest, open and direct. How else could the other person learn? It's just suggestions, to think, to see it from another point of view.

Theory dictates to keep the bridge as short as possible. Reality (and equipment) tell you that you'll need to find your personal sweet spot.

Physics dictate that the less parts move the less can go wrong.
I really can't argue with physics :D

Cheers!

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely you're entitled to an opinion...even when it's in the Ask the Instructor forum. That said, please don't tell Slasher he's doing bad things, when he's not. Is his bridge a little long? Yes...but that is his choice, and he seems to pocket pretty well with it. As far as piston vs pendulum, you don't have to "buy into" anything. However, those are the only two ways to deliver the cuestick accurately. Most instructors feel that the pendulum stroke is far more repeatable and accurate.

Scott Lee

@Scott Lee:
As far as pendulum and piston stroke - I don't buy into that and I don't care. Others do and that's fine, too.
EDIT: I might even suspect that buying into one or the other just masks problems in another area.
Just hit the damn ball at the exact spot you want with the exact speed you need and then you'll be fine around 95% already.

And everyone is entitled to an opinion? I do have another background than most of the players here. Doesn't that make my suggestions also quite interesting to simply try out in a while?
I'm also honest, open and direct. How else could the other person learn? It's just suggestions, to think, to see it from another point of view.

Theory dictates to keep the bridge as short as possible. Reality (and equipment) tell you that you'll need to find your personal sweet spot.

Physics dictate that the less parts move the less can go wrong.
I really can't argue with physics :D

Cheers!