Meucci Original DH-1?

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have what appears to be a Dave Howard Pool Cue (DH-1). The cue is in relatively good condition with a few minor blemishes. My question is that all the Dave Howard cues I've seen thus far have the name "Dave Howard" on them, mine does not. Is it still a Dave Howard? and why does my cue not have Dave Howards name on it? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited:

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
Hello. I do not believe your cue would be classified as a David Howard. Meucci has used the same designs of their cues throughout the years.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It is the same as a DH-1

This cue is the same as a David Howard Meucci Cue, DH-1, except for the wrap, and the engraving Meucci Original on the buttplate. It is the same exact pattern, buttplate, rings, joint, and joint rings as the DH-1. Here is the mid-80s David Howard, DH series cue. You can see it's the same, down to the red point veneer, and fewer then four point forearm. Could have been
refinished and rewrapped by Meucci, I have no way of knowing. Appears to be a modified DH-1.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Meucci Howard.jpg
    Meucci Howard.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 2,009
Last edited:

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
I'm a bit surprised nobody has picked up on this, but this cue is the same as a David Howard Meucci Cue, DH-1, except for the wrap, and the engraving Meucci Original on the buttplate. It is the same exact pattern, buttplate, rings, joint, and joint rings as the DH-1. Here is the mid-80s David Howard, DH series cue. You can see it's the same, down to the red point veneer, and fewer then four point forearm. Could have been refinished and rewrapped by Meucci, I have no way of knowing. But, a definite DH-1.

All the best,
WW

I guess you didn't read my post stating that Meucci has used the same designs in their cues throughout the years and sometimes change the model number, but it is the same design.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a bit surprised nobody has picked up on this, but this cue is the same as a David Howard Meucci Cue, DH-1, except for the wrap, and the engraving Meucci Original on the buttplate. It is the same exact pattern, buttplate, rings, joint, and joint rings as the DH-1. Here is the mid-80s David Howard, DH series cue. You can see it's the same, down to the red point veneer, and fewer then four point forearm. Could have been refinished and rewrapped by Meucci, I have no way of knowing. But, a definite DH-1.

All the best,
WW

Same design, but it was repeated later without the DH engraving.

Look at the size of the bumper hole...looks like a later cue, larger diameter bumper hole. Likely not a DH.

Though there is the possibility the butt cap was replaced without the DH engraving...I am doubting it.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Same design, but it was repeated later without the DH engraving.

Look at the size of the bumper hole...looks like a later cue, larger diameter bumper hole. Likely not a DH.

Though there is the possibility the butt cap was replaced without the DH engraving...I am doubting it.

This cue does have the same size bumper hole as the DH...The DH bumpers fit exactly inside the hole with a chamfer on the whole. The same as the original series except the bumpers are just different. One overlapping, one the size of the hole. The chamfer makes the hole with the small bumper look even smaller. What may make the difference is the radius on the caps edge. DH's are more rounded where as the Meucci Original is sharper...

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This cue does have the same size bumper hole as the DH...The DH bumpers fit exactly inside the hole with a chamfer on the whole. The same as the original series except the bumpers are just different. One overlapping, one the size of the hole. The chamfer makes the hole with the small bumper look even smaller.

OK.

I have two different sizes here I think. I would have to haul them out to measure to see which is which, but I thought I have two different sizes. Mine are 70's and 80's Meucci Originals, I have none later than that.

Not sure what might be up with that.

I think the pill bumpers were 0.750?

Of course, my memory could be fouled up.

As a side note, AFAIK the old Meucci pill bumper is identical to the early Huebler pill bumper. I don't happen to have one of those though.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
OK.

I have two different sizes here I think. I would have to haul them out to measure to see which is which, but I thought I have two different sizes. Mine are 70's and 80's Meucci Originals, I have none later than that.

Not sure what might be up with that.

I think the pill bumpers were 0.750?

Of course, my memory could be fouled up.

As a side note, AFAIK the old Meucci pill bumper is identical to the early Huebler pill bumper. I don't happen to have one of those though.

If you find different, post pics.. I'll stand corrected..

Skins wrong?...Well the Cubs did win the World Series so anything is possible..:D

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you find different, post pics.. I'll stand corrected..

Skins wrong?...Well the Cubs did win the World Series so anything is possible..:D

I definitely will post when I dig them out.

I have several in original condition. At least one a pill bumper 70's cue, and at least one an 80's with the later style bumper.

I have kind of a bumper fetish actually. Originals are key to me, especially unusual shapes, sizes, or colors.

I am planning an inventory in late January. My accountant wants it. I should have something on this then.

One of the issues is that the later Meucci Originals logo cues overlapped with their later Meucci logo. There is no date when they stopped the old logo and started the new, it overlapped. I only have the ones I have as examples, I have no further interest in Meucci cues except his earliest cues that has nylon inserts.

Another issue is that the bumpers shrunk (hence why they fell out). I have measured them at 0.750 but also as small as 0.740.

As far as who is right or wrong, I really don't care. I am only interested in the information. :wink:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I haven't seen a Meucci "Original" design exactly like this, only the David Howard series. By the way, the David Howard series bumpers changed from rounded to larger during the 80s.

If someone can produce a brochure page with this cue as a Meucci "Original," have at it. There is always a chance I'm wrong.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Here is a later year picture of the David Howard series. Same cue, larger more square bumper. Again, different color linen wrap than the OP.

I still haven't seen a brochure picture of this cue as an "Original" series, but maybe someone will post it up.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Meucci Howard 2.jpg
    Meucci Howard 2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2,128

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I guess you didn't read my post stating that Meucci has used the same designs in their cues throughout the years and sometimes change the model number, but it is the same design.

I guess you have not put up another catalog picture that would confirm your assertion. That would help, as you could be right, but not without evidence. The two David Howard pictures I have put up have the exact same specs, different wrap. It is possible that the cue was refinished and buttplate re-stamped by Meucci; I have no way of knowing. But without other photographic evidence, it appears, neither do you.

All the best,
WW

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, I truly appreciate the discussion regarding my cue. I can take more photos if that would help. It was suggested to me that it may have been custom made. It is a very nice cue, that kinda fell in my lap.

Cheers,
Tony

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums